Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help for our major parenting FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Meh... There are worse things. Try giving just water in it.

My 6 year old had a very traumatic few years with a neurological disorder and got super attached to her bottle. We put just water at night and sugar free ice tea once a day.

He wont go to college with it, I promise.
I second this, I just wouldn't worry about it. My ds sucked his thumb til he was eight then one day just stopped. Bothered other people but I didn't care, sure enough he grew out of it. If it comforts him I don't see what the big deal is

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
crysntony
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest had a paci...

First night he cried for about an hour total .. 2nd night 30 min. 3rd night nothing. It just has to be something you set your mind to and do. You can do it!!

This^^^^
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would agree with pp. Let it be. When he is ready he will let it go. Right now with another on the way, he will regress and this may be part of that.

Start with reminding him he is a big boy. Oooo... try those new sippies from Tommie Tippy they are the sports top ones and they are spill proof! Other then that kids will let you know when they are ready to let go of the lovey. Our is a monkey (monkey bath days are murder). It was a paci for the first 10 months then she just stopped using one. She also gave up the bottle and switched to sippies full time at 11m tho.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

whoa, thanks for the reassurance. other than feeling like we're doing something "wrong" I could care less about the bottle. He's not super attached to anything else, and if it were a blankie no one would look twice.I just keep thinking of the Super Nanny and Dr. Phil episodes where kids agesd 2-5 still had a bottle and they FREAKED.

I think my biggest worry is preschool. He'll be starting in October. Is he going to want it during the day? It'll only be 3.5 hours 2 days per week so he should be okay right?

I think my biggest concern is the amount of milk he's drinking at night. He doesn't always need milk to fall alseep at first, but he still wakes up several times a night nd can go through as many as 3 bottles per night which is insane. He loves food, some days he doesn'tstop eating and some days he doesn't want much. I never noticed if that correlates to how much he drinks at night. So, the bottle itself i can live with, it's the night drinking I can't. It's not healthy is it? I mean, even if he was nursing a kid his age wouldn't nurse that much during the night would they? We do bedshare but his habits are the same no matter where he sleeps (haven't always shared). What's a reasonable way to cut back on night drinking while still allowing thebottle? Is watering down the milk (been doing that the past 2 nights) okay in this case?

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

no advice, but couldn't read and run

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Honestly I'd just let him be.

I would explain to him that it's only for nights, naps, or home or car or whatever your boundaries are...kwim? And leave it at that. Eventually he'll give it up.

Or the bottle fairy could come and leave a small gift every night or nap that he doesn't use it. We did that for the pack with my daughter. She was over 3 when we did that.

ETA you could tell him only water at night or just put one ounce in at night and say its all gone. You don't have to fill it up completely in the night right?

Last edited by momof2littles; 03-24-2012 at 09:58 PM.
momof2littles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #17
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DD is the same with food. Believe it or not, the bottle might have something to do with the night drinking. I would only put water in it for now.

We offer in a sippy milk after dinner at about 30 min to bed time that way she has a full belly. This has stopped the drinking at night. Now their is still times she wakes and wants milk, so we go downstairs have milk in a sippy and watch food network. She then goes back u to bed after she is finished drinking which is actually real quick and not always a full cup.

If your DS puts up a fight about night drinks being in a sippy then you know there is more then an attachment to the bottle and it is now about the feedings in one. This should help. We also asked her DR about vitamins because her eatting is so speratic.

I wish you luck, and I hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

dd1 is 3 1/2 and has a fit if she doesn't get her *pink* before bed in a sippy...any sippy will do but she wants to have her fav. drink laying in bed...pink is strawberry milk...

she would also wake up wanting more throughout the night and when i asked her dr about it...he said that while one cup at bedtime isn't going to hurt her all teh night drinking might throw off her eating during the day...i could see that it was...and he said to just offer her water during the night..

we also switched to 2%milk instead of whole milk...and she gets a smaller cup of pink each night...i really hope to get her off of the pink kick soon...but with a new baby coming and her going to bed sooo well right now on her own...i hate to mess with it too much!!

dd2 is 15 months and at 11months was still waking up to get a sippy of milk several times a night too...and so i just offered her water and she soon figured out that water wasnt' worth waking up for and rarely wakes up now...she still has a paci and i refuse to take it away right now...new baby is due within the month and i could care less is dd2 has a paci still...she basically just uses it to go to sleep with or when in the car...i tend to not have any around during playtime....
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #19
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS2 goes to bed everynight with a sippy cup of water. It is not a battle i am going to fight anytime soon. Can you start transistioning with a sippy cup that is more like a bottle and take it from there.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
LittleLady8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
whoa, thanks for the reassurance. other than feeling like we're doing something "wrong" I could care less about the bottle. He's not super attached to anything else, and if it were a blankie no one would look twice.I just keep thinking of the Super Nanny and Dr. Phil episodes where kids agesd 2-5 still had a bottle and they FREAKED.

I think my biggest worry is preschool. He'll be starting in October. Is he going to want it during the day? It'll only be 3.5 hours 2 days per week so he should be okay right?

I think my biggest concern is the amount of milk he's drinking at night. He doesn't always need milk to fall alseep at first, but he still wakes up several times a night nd can go through as many as 3 bottles per night which is insane. He loves food, some days he doesn'tstop eating and some days he doesn't want much. I never noticed if that correlates to how much he drinks at night. So, the bottle itself i can live with, it's the night drinking I can't. It's not healthy is it? I mean, even if he was nursing a kid his age wouldn't nurse that much during the night would they? We do bedshare but his habits are the same no matter where he sleeps (haven't always shared). What's a reasonable way to cut back on night drinking while still allowing thebottle? Is watering down the milk (been doing that the past 2 nights) okay in this case?
I don't have strong feelings about the bottle itself but this part is a problem. I would have serious concern about his teeth. His teeth are being bathed in a sugar solution all night. Maybe continue watering it down until he has just water in it.