Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Early Gender ultrasounds

Anyone that's done one, how early did you get it done? Did it change at a later ultrasound or birth?

There is an ultrasound place in the area that's been highly recommended, and they do gender determination starting at 15 weeks (I know the obvious would be just wait until 16 weeks to be safe) but last night I was telling my husband it would be awesome to tell my MIL on her birthday as part of her present. (make birthday cupcakes stuffed with pink or blue frosting on the inside.) That puts me at 15 weeks.

So, I'm curious of others past experiences? I'm not overly concerned with the gender changing for myself, or "wasting" money because they can't tell yet, but I guess I don't want to go telling her one way or the other to change my answer at 20 weeks, hahah.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Early Gender ultrasounds

MY son's boy parts were VERY visible at 15 weeks. No doubt about it. I pretty sure if there are 3 lines for a girl it wont turn into boy parts, and if there are boy parts they won't turn into 3 lines. i believe they might use the 3D, so it's very clear what it is. If not they will probably allow you to come back for free. Thats what my place said.
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for telling me about your experience. They will use a 3d as well, I'm very excited! and they say they schedule patients at least an hour apart just in case the baby isn't cooperating to give it another go, and will do a re do if necessary.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Mine was so wrong.

I had one in the office (not the fancy 3D/4D) at about 15 weeks. The OB said she was 70% sure it was a boy. She even pointed out what looked like clear boy bits.

At the next u/s around 17 weeks, she said she was unsure.

At 20 weeks, the 3D u/s was VERY clear with girl parts, and it's been all girl parts since then.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

I had an ultrasound 14 years ago and found out my son was a boy at 15 weeks. You'd think that u/s has even gotten better since then!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

I'm hoping this lady's experience comes in handy. She's been doing it for 26 years (but that doesn't always mean she's been good at gender guessing for that long, hahaha)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I found out the gender of my boy right at 15 weeks. The ultrasound tech did it for us for free since we were so excited to find out. His boy parts were very visible.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
cole_b27
Registered Users
seller

We also found out at 15 weeks and shes still a girl at 30 weeks lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

I was told "most likely" boy at 14 weeks, and totally girl at 20.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

wow some of you found out REALLY early! we had ours at 17 weeks, and the ultrasound tech complained the entire time that it was really waaaay too early to tell with much accuracy. she guessed girl, but wouldn't make any promises. our midwife has repeated the "not totally sure" warning several times as well. we haven't had any more ultrasounds, and won't if everything continues to go well, so i have no idea yet if it was accurate or not. we're going with girl, and telling people girl, but adding the caveat that it was a really early ultrasound and we're just not 100%, so no one should be surprised if it's actually a boy.

i would do it if i were you (we did ours so early because we wanted to be able to tell my mil when we saw her at xmas, since she lives out of the country and we won't see her again until the baby is several months old), just make sure that your mil knows that there's a good chance it could be wrong. even later ultrasounds can always be wrong though, so i say the fun of having a gender is worth it, no matter if you get a "surprise" at the end or not my mom is a post partum nurse and she said just a couple weeks ago she had a couple in there who had had multiple ultrasounds throughout late pregnancy, and were told at all of them that it was for sure a girl. but they had a boy

Last edited by Liadan23; 03-27-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote