Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
mlgurney
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: recycled packaging?

I love the idea!

Advertisement

mlgurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
kdrave
Registered Users
seller

I think it could be a real cute way to set your business apart!
kdrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's a decent idea, but I would make a special note about it on your shop/page/etc about how that's part of you being an eco-friendly business, using recycled packages, etc. I think more would be open to it that way... than unexpectedly getting a cereal box or something in their mailbox. Make it cutesy! Add a sticker with a green heart or something to the package label, to remind customers when they get their package or container it's eco-friendly
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm all about recycling and reusing so I'd be totally fine with it. You could even use that as a marketing tool. Just a simple ribbon or sticker label would make it enough of your own that I don't think lot of people would care.

I love Kissed by the Moon & I'd love it if you shopped my affiliate link! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

mypeanut09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glass jars would be GREAT & could easily be sterilized in your dishwasher, but there is concern about the lids, which would not be glass & could therefore absorb whatever the previous contents were. Also, depending upon what was in the container previously & what the lid is made of, it could also absorb odors & possibly impart them into your product??

The whole allergy facet opens up a giant cans of worms... & possibly liability for an allergy reaction??

I would absolutely not use cereal boxes, oatmeal, or any food packaging that could not be sanitized in the dishwasher because they are a huge source of contamination or cross-contamination w/allergies... UNLESS, like others said, if you made it absolutely clear products would (or could) be shipped in them AND to cover your butt as well as make every effort to make those w/a possible allergy situation, I'd have it to where people would have to check off a box (or whatever) in the checkout process that states they are aware of (opt for) recycled packaging & they would like it to be used.

I also think like someone else said, you could make it an OPTIONAL thing... & you could explain the green factor, but acknowledge that it may not be suitable for people w/allergy concerns, in spite of your best effort to sanitize, etc.

You could have your jar of such & such in a "green" jar for $x & in a new jar for $x.. I think that would also encourage people w/no allergies to use the "green" option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery View Post
I would hesitate on this honestly as allergies are an issue for us, and not knowing what was in there before would make me nervous. I am all for recycling though if it is within our safety comfort level- like recycled packaging, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandFsMomma View Post
Yes, BUT It's glass, and there for easily sterilized.

OP, I think it's a FANTASTIC idea! And I loved what the other Momma said about playing up the fact that you're recycling jars, especially if they're uniform in size, and dressed up
Glass, yes, but what about the lids?? If they have any kind of coating inside them or are plastic, they would not be able to be thoroughly sanitized/ decontaminated for an allergy situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
We have a severe allergy here. Unless i was the one sterilizing the jar, i wouldnt risk it. Before dd had the allergy it wouldnt have bothered me. N

Op can you maybe put in you listing a new jar for $1 more or whatever? So they can choose? Or make listings for each and see what sells better.
It would make me hesitate too, but I would still consider it depending upon if you revealed what was in the jar before, what the lid is made of & if the lid itself could be thoroughly sanitized/decontaminated, etc.

I like the asking the customer & charging for new packaging, which is coming from someone else who has to deal w/an allergy situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck411 View Post
I think it's a decent idea, but I would make a special note about it on your shop/page/etc about how that's part of you being an eco-friendly business, using recycled packages, etc. I think more would be open to it that way... than unexpectedly getting a cereal box or something in their mailbox. Make it cutesy! Add a sticker with a green heart or something to the package label, to remind customers when they get their package or container it's eco-friendly
This, but I would take it a step further to cover you as the seller AND the buyer by making it OPTIONAL .

I actually had to ask our mail carrier to stop leaving treats for our dog in the mailbox and/or to stop handing them to us or our dog directly because of our child having an allergic reaction to them, just by her stepping in the crumbs on the floor while the dog was eating, handling the mail, or handing the dog the treat since the mail person would hand it right to whomever took the mail... things we can take for granted if we don't have to deal w/allergies. Most people don't realize that allergy sensitive people can have VIOLENT/ deadly reactions to things other than peanuts, shellfish, etc.

Overall I think it can be a fab idea, but I think you should be cautious. Before our allergy situation I'd not have ever dreamed about such thing as cross-contamination, but now I know and I also know how dangerous it could be. If it were the only option to get the products in recycled containers I would have to not purchase said products... especially for packaging that could not be sanitized, like glass can.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
kiewi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes! Obviously you would sterilize them before using. I think this is a great idea. REUSE!
kiewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #27
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I would buy and I would also appriciate recylced packaging.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
Hscute
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think its a great idea! Love recycling and being green!
Hscute is offline   Reply With Quote