Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Alice In Zombieland

By Gena Showalter. If you have read this book, how would feel about an almost 9 year old reading it? DD just brought it home from school. It is in her current reading level basket (based on reading skill), however the book is recommended for 13/14- 17 year olds. I have read the book before and I think the content is too old for her. She likes scary and fantasy stories and the theme is something that she would be interested in but she read scary in the 8-13 year old range books (Goose Bumps, The Sisters Grimm type) not a teen range. Plus the romance aspect of the book is more mature than I think she needs to be reading right now. I actually have more of an issue with the I like you but I am going to be a jerk to you romance aspect than the scare factor. Dh says let her read it. Would you let your 8/9 year old read it?

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

I've never heard of this book, but going by all that you have said here I probably wouldn't.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No I wouldn't. She's too young - just tell her that it is inappropriate and return it to the library.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Alice In Zombieland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
No I wouldn't. She's too young - just tell her that it is inappropriate and return it to the library.
It actually came from the teacher's baskets. I was surprised to see when she brought it home. Her teacher has read it and put it into the reading skill basket. I asked dd if anyone else in the class has read it but there are only 3 kids reading from that level basket. Her teacher did tell her to ask me if she could read it though. Seems like if the teacher feels a parent needs to approve it that she wouldn't put it into the basket for them.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I ran into trouble finding suitable material for my DD when she was young because she was advanced but the books that were popular for young adults were not for us.

I firmly believe you have the right to pick what's appropriate for your kid.

I wouldn't be surprised. I'd start getting used to it. It can be a real eye opener what is suggested to kids nowadays.

Last edited by Agla; 04-29-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have no idea what is in the book but the title is enough for me to veto it. I realize I am breaking the rule and judging a book by its cover but Zombies don't have a place in our curriculum or my children's minds.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I ran into trouble finding suitable material for my DD when she was young because she was advanced but the books that were popular for young adults were not for us. I firmly believe you have the right to pick what's appropriate for your kid. I wouldn't be surprised. I'd start getting used to it. It can be a real eye opener what is suggested to kids nowadays.
This is what I am finding with DD. I think the age-rating scale is rather lenient and just because it is recommended for 6-8 year olds or whatever doesn't make it appropriate for MY 6-8 year old. If the teacher told her to ask permission before reading, which to me means she knew it was questionable material, why would she even put it in there...

ETA : I know your DD is 9, I was making a personal reference about the age guidelines. It seemed confusing after I posted

Last edited by mamaberkhie; 04-29-2016 at 04:10 PM.
mamaberkhie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty hunter View Post
I have no idea what is in the book but the title is enough for me to veto it. I realize I am breaking the rule and judging a book by its cover but Zombies don't have a place in our curriculum or my children's minds.
Or under our cars or in dark corners or anywhere zombies tend to hide in hopes of eating us. Shudder.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I don't think that the teacher telling the child to check with their parent means that it is automatically questionable. Some parents do not want their children reading about certain topics, but that doesn't mean those topics are necessarily bad.

In this case, though, I would probably read the book first and then make a decision. I do not care for zombies or books about them, and I am quite careful about what my children read, but I don't think I could just make a call without looking into it some more or reading it myself.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #10
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I don't think that the teacher telling the child to check with their parent means that it is automatically questionable. Some parents do not want their children reading about certain topics, but that doesn't mean those topics are necessarily bad.

In this case, though, I would probably read the book first and then make a decision. I do not care for zombies or books about them, and I am quite careful about what my children read, but I don't think I could just make a call without looking into it some more or reading it myself.
I have read it because I am fan of YA fiction. Its actually pretty good book I just think its too mature. Plus I really have an issue with romance aspect. I hate romance novels that are I like you but I am going to be a jerk and emotionally abuse, neglect and ignore you but one day I be the perfect guy for you. Its not quite that bad but there is some of that. I can't stand that trend and that girls actually think that is the way a relationship is and that is the way someone who cares about should treat you. The book Basically is Alice can see zombies who cause people to die but are invisible to every one else but those with the sight. She joins a group of zombie fighters who teach her to fight and they kill and fight zombies.