Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! DD wont sleep without nursing. Going back to work April First

DD is 11 weeks old... Doesn't go to sleep without nursing ... Not at nap time or bed time. I go back to work April 1st and won't get home until 10pm 4 days a week. Her bedtime is usually sometime between 7-8:30pm.

We've had no luck with getting her to sleep without nursing. Any ideas? What worked for you?

Honestly, I am ready to quit my job because of these bad hours...

And also, she refuses a bottle completely. We've been trying since she 3 weeks old with pumped milk.

Advertisement

mommyegon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't been there, but some working mamas shift their babies to a later schedule. If you did that, you could at least nurse her sleep at night. IDK about naps.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We just came from a baby sleep class and they lady running it... Said we were in for trouble. She gave us no pointers on what to do and I left crying... Ughhhh. I need to toughen up!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help! DD wont sleep without nursing. Going back to work April First

Who does that?!?! Teaches a baby sleep class to sleep deprived moms and doesn't help?!?! I'm mad for you, and I wasn't even there!

Can you tell us what things you have tried to help get her to sleep/eat?

Take shirt you've been wearing to snuggle with while feeding/trying to get to sleep. Swaddling, rocking, babywearing, etc. For feeding, have you tried different bottles, different positions? Also, I think for both, you probably need to be gone - out of the house, so baby realizes you're not there. Some babies are totally different when mom's not around - I realize you have probably already tried a lot of this stuff, so I'm probably not very helpful
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just taking it one day at a time works best. Trust your instincts and your day care workers. Kiddo will be fine. She will learn a new nap routine and the daycare workers will probably teach her to take a bottle. It will be ok!

My kids nursed to sleep when I was there, but learned that Grandma does it different and that's okay.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-23-2014 at 03:51 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My two year old still nurses to sleep for me but sleeps perfectly at daycare or at my parent's. Having milk right there is just so tempting for a little one.

Everything will work out.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Has someone else tried getting her to sleep? Some babies just won't sleep if they know mommy is in the same room or even the same house. So, depending on if that's the issue, you may actually have an easier time with that once you're back at work. to you, you will figure something out.

There are a few other things you could try besides a bottle if you're worrying about her eating enough. Plastic syringe, cup feeding... in a few months, you could even use a sippy cup. Once again, if you have been the one trying to give her a bottle, she might be refusing it because she knows where you're hiding the real goods. A different person, in a different feeding position might make a difference.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 18 month old would only nurse to sleep for me. But at daycare and with daddy and the couple times she has pent the night with my mom she went to sleep just fine.

don't stress about it. Your LO will be fine. You will be fine.

You both will figure out a new normal. I have been a working mom for 7 years and have 3 kids. It is hard but totally do able. I don't have a normal 8-5 schedule nor does my DH but we have made it work for the last 7 years.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not sure who will be taking care of her, but if it is in a traditional daycare setting or with a very experienced caregiver, they will be able to get her to take a bottle. They have lots of tricks. If it's MIL or your mom or a relative, I would have her stay with that person for a long time where you are not at work yet. I'm thinking 8+ hours, similar to your working hours. That way if things go haywire, they will be able to contact you for pointers. I'm not sure how flexible your work is, but I was a teacher and my MIL could not contact me during the day and that was hard because she was on her own when lo got really upset.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thx ladies! I really don't know what I'd do without you all on DS forum! You have helped so much!

We were able to get her to take a bottle just now!! My husband took her upstairs away from me when she was pretty hungry... And she drank the whole thing! So happy!!

About sleeping... My husband and mom have gotten her to sleep on their own by holding and walking around or sitting with a soft blanket and patting her back. For some reason this sleep coach thought that I should be able to do that too and if I couldn't that we were in for trouble.

It's nice to know that's not the case! That some of you nurse your babies to sleep and everything is ok!

I have tried to walk or pat her to sleep and have only been successful a couple times. Normally she just gets more and more upset until I nurse her. It's gotta be that she knows I have the milk ... So it's different with me.