Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Best shoes for pea gravel playground

Our wonderful new house (which we still haven't moved into because the snowpocalypse has put every tradesman six weeks behind schedule) is one block away from a fantastic playground -- that is covered in pea gravel.

I had thought that we would do Keen sandals for summer (with socks when we weren't likely to get wet,) but that looks like a bad idea with pea gravel.

Recommendations?

Kitten is currently in shoeszoo soft soles. Great for inside; less great on the muddy playground. Plus, I suspect that they will wear out pretty quickly on the asphalt walking loop that encircles the playground. Any experience with the rubber-bottom "outside" shoeszoo? Do they wear well? I would think that they would keep out the rocks.

If we should go with closed sneakers, what is good for early walkers? Which brands will last until she outgrows them and not look trashed after a week? I have a pair of Keen trail walkers that I love and that have held up really well. (I just wear them as casual sneakers. If I'm going hiking, I either need ankle support or someone willing to carry my limping self back down the mountain.) Trail shoes seem like they would be heavy for a toddler.

It's consignment sale season here, so I would love brand names to look for. My experience (with dressier shoes for my nephews) is that good brands might look a little rough at a sale, but scrub up just fine. However, I don't want to invest the energy in trying to rehab a shoe that is never going to come clean or will fall apart before the summer is over.

Advertisement

The remodel isn't going well.
IndoorKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best shoes for pea gravel playground

For early walkers I just buy any brand flexible rubber bottom shoes. I havent had any issue with them being torn up before being outgrown.....but both my boys have big feet and rarely stay in the same size for more than 2-3mo between 1-2yo.

I also prefer shoes that have a little rubber lip estend over the toe so they dont get holes there if LO crawls instead of walking.

Since sandals probably wont work for pea gravel, perhaps you can find some tennis with mesh panels.
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:03 AM   #3
Marina_mm
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellx1 View Post
For early walkers I just buy any brand flexible rubber bottom shoes. I havent had any issue with them being torn up before being outgrown.....but both my boys have big feet and rarely stay in the same size for more than 2-3mo between 1-2yo.

I also prefer shoes that have a little rubber lip estend over the toe so they dont get holes there if LO crawls instead of walking.

Since sandals probably wont work for pea gravel, perhaps you can find some tennis with mesh panels.
hi. i agree. kids grow up very fast. you may buy quality and comfortable sneakers not expensive

Last edited by Marina_mm; 12-03-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Marina_mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

We put pea gravel all around our swingset in our yard. It has a lot of give when they fall because the rocks are small and rounded. My kids wear any old sandels with no problems--flip flops, keens, crocs, whatever.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote