Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
babyspaz
Registered Users
seller

Baby won't stay latched

THis drives me nuts. My DS seems to dislike one side but will latch and unlatch multiple times through a feed on both sides When he does this I end up spraying all over the place and he always spits up more. I can't figure out if he does this because the milk is coming at him too fast? But I feel like t just promotes sucking in air and causes the massive spitting. The irritating thing about this is that while at home I can just sop up the sprayed milk with a PF, but when out and a out I haven't figured out how to deal with all the spraying milk. I really don't want to be out in public with milk stains down my shirt and pants, so I just avoid feeding him in public. Not convenient to going out with baby at all...Any ideas mamas?

Advertisement

babyspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Ugh, I wish I knew! My 2 day old NB unlatches every 5 minutes and won't really latch again on the same side. I have to switch sides constantly. So frustrating!
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby won't stay latched

No advice here. My 8 mo old does it EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. my milk lets down!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
ikitakunai
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like overactive letdown. I have had this with both of my babies. What helps for me is to feed on one side per session.

Check out this kellymom page: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
BF #1-31mos / #2-29mos & counting
ikitakunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

Yea ditto the above poster. My let down is very strong and had this problem too. Check out Kellymom !!

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
Chibirsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well this only really helps for while at home. But there is a potion that slows over active let down. Lay on your back and nurse with baby laying up and down on your tummy. That way the milk has to work against gravity.

How old is your baby? Usually once the baby is a little older they don't mind the heavy let down as much.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
babyspaz
Registered Users
seller

Should have mentioned in op... The LO is now 2 months. He seems to let go and relatch on the same side multiple times per feed and it's usually on the side which is way harder to pump. I'd Always assumes that the hard to pump side had a slower flow but maybe not?

I'm pretty sure my letdown is super strong so maybe this will just resolve itself as he gets used to the fast flow. My daughter never did this so it's all new to me.

Will try the baby on top feed to see if that helps. Would pumping a little if my bpobs feel full before I feed him help any? I'm thinking it might help slow the flow down a bit after the initial let down.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
babyspaz
Registered Users
seller

And thanks for the kellymom link! This is totally me right down to the clicking which I had thought was a bad latch despite the fact that my nipples feel fine. Anyway, he never seems to empty a side when feeding but I always change sides when he comes off on his own. I'll try just putting him back on the same side until it feels empty and only switching sides of he still seems fussy. Maybe then he'll comfor nurse? He doesn't really now preferring instead the pacifier which I am completely okay with (don't shoot me! It makes my life a lot easier)