Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
My Mood:
are my boobs suddenly too slow for him?

When I was pregnant a pediatrician told us that when bottle feeding we should use "the fastest nipple the baby can handle." I've always had a heavy let down, so we started with a 3mo+ nipple and he drinks my pumped milk with no problem at all.

Then around 3 months I noticed that while nursing he would get mad and pull off after my let down was complete. There was still plenty of milk, but if he wasn't chugging he was pulling off and clawing at me angrily. This weekend I took babe on a trip (he's 4 months now) and he didn't get a bottle of pumped milk at all for 4 days straight. He strictly nursed. The first day he didn't poop at all (weird), then after that all his poops were horribly green and slimy. Again he would nurse only a few minutes until my let down slowed, then he'd scream and get angry.

I'm blaming the fast bottle nipples. He's never had formula or solids. His poop is generally brownish/yellow... unless I'm nursing him for the day.

I've tried block feeding, today I even did 3 feedings in a row per boob and didn't switch him even when he was trying to get at the other breast as soon as the first one finished letting down. Again, green slimy poop.

So I'm ordering a slower nipple online, but is there anything else I can do to get him to stay longer at the breast? Even if he's hanging out there, playing with a toy or something, he isn't sucking anymore.

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
I don't know if this actually helps, but I massage the breast, almost like hand expressing to keep him latched. And I never wait until he's very hungry either.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum
~Cassie~ Single Mom to Jordan 9/04 and Jaxon 6/06 and Kelli 10/08 and 1/11 and Jevin 12/11
Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: are my boobs suddenly too slow for him?

It could be that your letdown is so strong he's taking in a lot of air and it's hurting his belly. My son eats his entire "meal" within about 5 minutes max and he's 10 1/2 months now. Even with a fast flow nipple, it stops flowing when they aren't sucking hard. I know my letdown hasn't slowed at all because when my LO pulls off in the middle of a feed, which he does often and laughs hysterically, we both get soaked! Perhaps try hand expressing a bit beforehand, and like JeDeeLenae said, make sure you aren't waiting until he is starving when you sit down to nurse.
As for the poop, it sounds like normal breastfed baby poop. Does he seem in pain at all when pooping or is the consistency just different? How about otherwise, does he seem like a normal happy baby, or like something is bothering him that could be affecting his poop?
I'm sorry you are having trouble. Stay strong momma!
safghf is offline   Reply With Quote