Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Scared shes not getting enough?

She was just born on May 21 at 11:30 am and I am solely nursing! She doesn't have a strong latch so the lactation nurse has me exvessing and spoon feeding and pumping after each feeding! She is nursing every few hours but I always have to wake her to nurse for 30 mins. I'm just terrified she's not getting enough cause she is so sleepy??? No milk has coming yet...

Help pls?

Advertisement

B+EBabyDipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Re: Scared shes not getting enough?

I am not a LC but I don't understand why a lactation nurse would have you pumping and spoon feeding instead of working on baby's latch at only a day old. That doesn't seem right to me. My LO wouldn't latch until the end of day 2 because she was just really sleepy. Are you still trying to get your baby to latch on? Baby isn't supposed to get much in the first few days. Just the tiny bit of colostrum until milk comes in. They are born with brown fat that they burn during the first few days and don't need to drink milk yet except for that tiny bit of colostrum that they will get. I would suggest working on trying to get baby to latch properly whenever you can (as in, whenever baby is awake enough to) BEFORE your milk comes in because it will be harder to work on the latch if you are engorged and when your milk is in full force. It's normal for babies to be very sleepy the first couple days especially. They often go into a "coma" right after birth because the birth process can be hard on them. But I'd be putting your energy into trying to get baby to latch well instead of pumping at this point if I were you.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Sorry maybe I didn't explain well! She is nursing for around 20-30 min then I excess and spoon whatever is left... She has me pumping cause i had very little milk for my ds (5 now) and she said that will help?

My son bf ing was mess and I don't want that to happen again
B+EBabyDipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

You would do much better just constantly putting baby to the breast rather than pumping and spoon feeding. If you have nipple damage then express and spoon/finger feed until it heals. Your baby is far more efficient than anything else at removing milk from your breast which then signals your body to make more.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
lilmomma83
Registered Users

First of all, I see no problem in pumping to help your supply increase if you know you had an issue in the past - jsut as long as that is in ADDITION to putting baby to the breast as much as possible (I would pump after right after feeding the baby...and pump for a few minutes after the milk stops flowing).

Second, Your baby is only 1 day old! I cannot imagine your milk would be in yet, and colostrum is only produced in very small amounts...that is normal. So I wouldn't worry yet. My milk came in after about 5 days with my first and 3rd babies.

Third, I'm concerned that your baby may need to be put to the breast more often...I would not go more than 3 hours with any baby at that age, and if you have a history of low supply, I would nurse about every 1-2 hours...even if you have to wake the baby.
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama congrats on your newbie! I agree with the pp that suggest putting baby to breast. Just keep her at the breast as much as you can. Skin to skin. Even if she is not strongly latched and swallowing which she will not be right now because your milk has not come in. IMO getting stressed about expressing and pumping and spoon feeding is likely to cause more problems. Best advice I have is to rest, drink lots of water, RELAX, and enjoy your LO. Remember this is a different time and you can be very successful. When in doubt put baby to breast. If you feel like you are constantly nursing then you are probably doing just right.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Congrats mama! It sounds very similar to what I went through, and our pediatrician said it was all normal - newborn babies can be very sleepy and their stomachs are tiny.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

My baby was so sleepy the first couple days. She wouldn't nurse for more than 10 min, even less before falling asleep but eventually she started eat more. As long as she has enough wet diapers she is getting enough. I recommend what the others said and the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.
Remember her stomach size is as small as a walnut.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 05-22-2012 at 06:09 AM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Just nurse it will help morewith ur supply.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

If baby is gaining weight then she gets enough.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote