Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
pinchofthyme
Registered Users
seller

Let Down Issues

I recently discovered that my milk rarely lets down. I have a ton of foremilk, but my baby isn't getting any hindmilk. It takes about twenty minutes for my milk to let down, and my baby isn't patient after about 5. Any tips? And please don't say relax, I know that one, and I'm not stressed about it.

Advertisement

Last edited by pinchofthyme; 05-22-2012 at 11:21 AM.
pinchofthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Why do you say that you rarely let down? Is your baby swallowing often while nursing? It's not just hindmilk that "lets down," foremilk lets down as well. Some women that have larger storage capacities will have to nurse longer until the hindmilk is reached.

Also, it's not just foremilk and hindmilk. It gradually transitions to rich, fatty milk during the feed.

Are her poops green or yellow?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
pinchofthyme
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor
Why do you say that you rarely let down? Is your baby swallowing often while nursing? It's not just hindmilk that "lets down," foremilk lets down as well. Some women that have larger storage capacities will have to nurse longer until the hindmilk is reached.

Also, it's not just foremilk and hindmilk. It gradually transitions to rich, fatty milk during the feed.

Are her poops green or yellow?
It was something that my husband noticed when I pumped, I insisted on pumping for 45 minutes like his feeds are and for the first 15 minutes it was gushing and then it was just a small spray for about another 15 minutes and then it was gushing again for the last 15, but in the last week he isn't patient during those 15 minutes of little milk.

He swallows often in the beginning. And his poops are usually a dark green. He is attached to the boob all night, as it's the only way I get any sleep, and his first poop of the morning is usually dark yellow but all the rest are a really dark green.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let Down Issues

I would guess when you are pumping you are actually watching a second let down with the second gushing on milk. I can have the same thing happen when pumping. But, your body will respond differently to a baby than a pump, so that may or may not be what is happening when nursing.

There is surely hindmilk in that first letdown, although the second may be fattier, it's not as cut and dry and foremilk then hindmilk.

If he gets frustrated throughout that 15 minutes of no milk and unlatches, maybe let him and see if he wants to nurse again a short time later.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, you just experienced a second letdown during pumping. I would recommend block feeding. Nurse on one side for 3-4 hours, then switch and do the sane thing with the other side. Do this for a few days and see if it helps.