Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
rohirette
Registered Users
seller

I **want** to like cloth pads, but...

I've tried two styles of cloth menstrual pads, and I did not like wearing either of them. But now that I'm reading the mama cloth stash thread, I've realized that mine were both flannel, and maybe I just don't like flannel.

So I had two problems: Not enough coverage (I use the largest size of Always Infinity,) basically the pad needs to extend halfway up the crack AND no wicking properties- blood isn't urine, and it contains a lot of solids, which just sat on top of the flannel and made me feel absolutely disgusting. Always Infinity really sucks that stuff down into the pad, via the little holes.

So does something like this exist? I'm imagining some kind of tech fabric, but I don't really know. I do know it cannot involve flannel and it has to be big!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: I **want** to like cloth pads, but...

I use pp size pads. You might want to look into stay dry fabric as the fabric that is up against you.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

i made my own using flannel insides and fleece on the outsides. they are super long too like 12 inches i think. i just used a disposable as a pattern but made it a little longer and wider in the back. maybe you could try ordering some postpartum ones from somebody with a fleece top. i dont know if anyone makes them but someone might to a custom for you.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can easily get a pad that is the same size as what you currently wear which should help your coverage problem. As for the fabric I do prefer minky over flannel by far and I did at one point make pads using an athletic wicking fabric but it honestly just wasn't soft enough and I didn't find it any better then minky as far as absorbing so I stopped making them. After a couple of months of using only cloth pads my periods got shorter and lighter and I noticed that way more ends up in the toilet (clots) rather then on the pads themselves because the pads don't draw it out like disposables.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
You can easily get a pad that is the same size as what you currently wear which should help your coverage problem. As for the fabric I do prefer minky over flannel by far and I did at one point make pads using an athletic wicking fabric but it honestly just wasn't soft enough and I didn't find it any better then minky as far as absorbing so I stopped making them. After a couple of months of using only cloth pads my periods got shorter and lighter and I noticed that way more ends up in the toilet (clots) rather then on the pads themselves because the pads don't draw it out like disposables.
This for me too. I prefer minky for that reason. I also like cotton or bamboo velour but I don't like flannel. What i did originally was measure the disposable pad to see which length I would need. There are many WAHM that sell different lengths in stock and also will do some custom sizes for you.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I have tried them all, and will only use minkee. Velour and flannel just feels gross. I like my all organic cotton liners for days when I'm just spotting.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone have a problem with the pad twisting? First time using mine (today) and it seems to always be twisted. Should I go bigger? Its a good quality pad made by an often suggested maker.
kelly679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Happy mama cloth user here. I made all of mine. Minky is the only way for me. Flannel feels YUCK on my girl parts. Like permanently wet and sticky feeling or something. I have used MC exlusively for 4 years now. My favorite are the "pocket mc" I made with absorbant inserts and a minky top and fleece bottom. No twisting, plenty of coverage, holds a bunch. My cycle is much lighter and less clotty than they old days of disposables. I wouldn't got back to those ever.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

another vote for minkee mine have double snaps and wider wings, i did find that small tab style wings didnt really hold the pad in place well.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
rohirette
Registered Users
seller

Okay, I'll try minkee. Even though I hate that word, minkee/minky.

It is kind of validating to read that others dislike flannel pads. Heh.