Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I **want** to like cloth pads, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Okay, I'll try minkee. Even though I hate that word, minkee/minky.

It is kind of validating to read that others dislike flannel pads. Heh.

Advertisement

JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
wigglers
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
You can easily get a pad that is the same size as what you currently wear which should help your coverage problem. As for the fabric I do prefer minky over flannel by far and I did at one point make pads using an athletic wicking fabric but it honestly just wasn't soft enough and I didn't find it any better then minky as far as absorbing so I stopped making them. After a couple of months of using only cloth pads my periods got shorter and lighter and I noticed that way more ends up in the toilet (clots) rather then on the pads themselves because the pads don't draw it out like disposables.
Very interesting! I had no idea. So did you use pads before, or tampons too? I have a super super heavy, long cycle. Can the cloth actually handle that? I use tampons because even pads are messy for me. I'd do anything for a shorter, lighter period!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never been a tampon person but used to use night sized pads all day and night. My periods went from 7-8 days long down to 3-4. I know I'm not the only one either because I have been polling customers . Many of us find that the blood kinda pools inside so that it ends up in the toilet if you go often enough and not as much on the pad (if any). It did take a few months for me but it is so much better now.

Cloth should be able to handle your heavy flow (I highly suggest pads with Zorb) but many people are happy with menstrual cups in that situation.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yup, using cloth pads can reduce your cycle in length & strength. Without your tender bits being swamped in chemicals from the disposables, your tissues can relax and do their thing a whole lot more gently & efficiently. Making the switch can also reduce cramps & that moodiness that seems to be there only during your period (not PMS, but that crankiness that is only during the flow) significantly, again due to not having the chemical laden disposables smack up against your tender mucus membranes.

I have an IUD, the copper-only/non-hormal Paraguard, so I have a fairly heavy flow going on. I was killing super tampons AND overnight/super-duty pads TOGETHER for a few days at a time before I switched. Not only did the cloth catch it all without a tampon, it didn't leak. Yeah, I had to change pretty often (hourly at first) but that slacked off quite a bit in just a couple cycles. I still need the coverage of a PP style pad (I'm big, I've got more area to cover, lol) but I no longer need the flood capacity. I don't need a tampon at all any more. No way I'll go back to disposable pads any more than I'll go back to disposable diapers. I now know why DS2 is so cranky when I'm in a pinch and need to use a sposie...those things screw up your whole body!
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
wigglers
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
I have never been a tampon person but used to use night sized pads all day and night. My periods went from 7-8 days long down to 3-4. I know I'm not the only one either because I have been polling customers . Many of us find that the blood kinda pools inside so that it ends up in the toilet if you go often enough and not as much on the pad (if any). It did take a few months for me but it is so much better now.

Cloth should be able to handle your heavy flow (I highly suggest pads with Zorb) but many people are happy with menstrual cups in that situation.
GAH! This is soo tempting. But I totally HATE pads. Don't like the feel of any kind of bulk in that area, and don't like the look of it in tighter clothes/ light dress pants (I work full time, have to dress super professional at work). Do you think it's worth the investment to give it a try? I also really don't like the idea of chemicals. Any idea if the cycle changes for people using cups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_oz_girl View Post
Yup, using cloth pads can reduce your cycle in length & strength. Without your tender bits being swamped in chemicals from the disposables, your tissues can relax and do their thing a whole lot more gently & efficiently. Making the switch can also reduce cramps & that moodiness that seems to be there only during your period (not PMS, but that crankiness that is only during the flow) significantly, again due to not having the chemical laden disposables smack up against your tender mucus membranes.

I have an IUD, the copper-only/non-hormal Paraguard, so I have a fairly heavy flow going on. I was killing super tampons AND overnight/super-duty pads TOGETHER for a few days at a time before I switched. Not only did the cloth catch it all without a tampon, it didn't leak. Yeah, I had to change pretty often (hourly at first) but that slacked off quite a bit in just a couple cycles. I still need the coverage of a PP style pad (I'm big, I've got more area to cover, lol) but I no longer need the flood capacity. I don't need a tampon at all any more. No way I'll go back to disposable pads any more than I'll go back to disposable diapers. I now know why DS2 is so cranky when I'm in a pinch and need to use a sposie...those things screw up your whole body!
Very interesting about your flow and it's changes. So is your cycle shorter at all?

I know that I prefer natural approaches to life. The kids were/are in cloth, we BF, homebirth etc. I just can't figure out how to do that for my own cycle and still manage life! (In meetings for 4 hours - how to leave and change a pad every hour?) But maybe I'm just making excuses and have to try it?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglers View Post
GAH! This is soo tempting. But I totally HATE pads. Don't like the feel of any kind of bulk in that area, and don't like the look of it in tighter clothes/ light dress pants (I work full time, have to dress super professional at work). Do you think it's worth the investment to give it a try? I also really don't like the idea of chemicals. Any idea if the cycle changes for people using cups?

Very interesting about your flow and it's changes. So is your cycle shorter at all?

I know that I prefer natural approaches to life. The kids were/are in cloth, we BF, homebirth etc. I just can't figure out how to do that for my own cycle and still manage life! (In meetings for 4 hours - how to leave and change a pad every hour?) But maybe I'm just making excuses and have to try it?
You may be more of a cup or sea sponge person with mama cloth/pantyliners as back up. You can always try one or two (they are softer then underwear) and see how it goes. Even if you just wear cloth at night it will at least give your body a break.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
kbrooks24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've tried several, and I cant take it. I dont like wearing regular pads either, I dont like the feeling (TMI) of stuff coming out of me. Someday, I'll try a diva cup maybe.

kbrooks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
thoughtfulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just used the diva cup with my last cycle and can honestly say that I had no cramps, and loved the fact that I didn't have to bring anything with me to the bathroom!! It was already there! Lol

The first time was a little weird, but after my second or third change I was a pro! Quick and easy! No leaks or drips! I changes every morning after my shower and then when I came home from work, it was Soo nice!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #19
Karrie Di
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Everyone is different and it DOES take a little experimentation to figure out what is right for you. This is a great thread with excellent suggestions!

I HATED wearing disposable pads but tampons made me hurt inside, so it was life-changing for me to discover the Diva Cup and cloth pads/liners.

I had endometriosis and adenomyosis before my hyst last summer -- I mention that every time I post on one of these threads to illustrate just how bad my periods were. However, I know I would have been much MUCH worse off the last six months before the hyst w/o cloth pads and the diva cup. Those two things allowed me to finish my teaching job and parent my children. I actually had more severe cramping when I still used disposables -- though that was more than five years ago now.

Anyways -- I agree flannel does not feel good and needs to be changed FAST. I love OBV and Minky topped pads. I kept a few for leakage protection during colds with bad coughs.

Diva cups, etc. have a slight learning curve, but are incredibly convenient and efficient. Like other posters said, once you get off the chemicals in disposables, your body and your flow actually changes. No more dead animal smell -- less flow on pads and more comes out naturally when you urinate -- and less severe cramping.

I'm planning to do as some other DS mamas have done and give my dd a mama cloth package when she gets older -- NOT anything disposable or chemical-laden!

Last edited by Karrie Di; 06-05-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Karrie Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am another endo and adenomyosis mama and I went with a cup and gem cloth and it has worked well for me. I can't say that it has helped my flow q whole lot though, but my doc has been jacking with my hormones to try and decrease my adenomyosis. If you do like mess or slimyness try a cup.