Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

twin moms--starting solids?

Cross-posted:

DP & I had talked about BLW this time around; we used purees w/ DD1. They're a few days from 6 mos. One is EBF, the other nearly so. They're interested in foods & grabby. But they are a little on the delayed side--they can grasp objects, but can't feed themselves, though they can guide my hand to their mouths if I'm holding food. I do, however find mysef super anxious at the idea of them choking. DP let one f the girls suck on a corner of a chunk of watermelon--which she chomped off & started choking on. They both had some banana tonigh & one chomped off a piece & started gagging. I'm terrified that w/ trying to feed two & keep DD1 from burning the house down while my attention is diverted, that one of them will really choke. I've always been unreasonably anxious about LOs choking, but these girls are ready to start solids & I don't know which is the best way to move forward--BLW or just go w/ purees, which they'd really only be on for a few mos anyway. Help!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did BLW with our twins. I will not be doing that this time around.
I just can't take all of the worry that came along with it. It got to where I couldn't even eat my meals bc I was too worried they were going to choke. Starting off with the purses this tine and not looking back.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: twin moms--starting solids?

I'm an overprotective worrier & I have not researched BLW much at all.

I did purées with our first two & will likely do purées again with this one because any chance of choking really freaks me out.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm so glad to hear this. I had been thinking I was a wimpy worrier, but it sounds like my worries are normal-ish.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I did BLW with DS1 and it worked fine. With the twins I just couldn't get it to work without them gagging. They were not really ready for food but really wanted it so we did purées for a while. It is easier with 2 to do it that way i think.
themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My twins are nowhere near solids at this point, but I plan to do BLW. Maybe I'm a lame mom, but I have not really worried about gagging and choking. We did BLW with our older two and somehow I never worried about it. I don't even remember any gagging incidents--there must have been a couple, but they were not memorable. DS especially was really not into eating much until he was over a year, though, so not much worry about gagging and choking when he really hardly ever put anything in his mouth.

I may change my mind when these babies start solids, but I cannot imagine spoon feeding two babies.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
My twins are nowhere near solids at this point, but I plan to do BLW. Maybe I'm a lame mom, but I have not really worried about gagging and choking. We did BLW with our older two and somehow I never worried about it. I don't even remember any gagging incidents--there must have been a couple, but they were not memorable. DS especially was really not into eating much until he was over a year, though, so not much worry about gagging and choking when he really hardly ever put anything in his mouth.

I may change my mind when these babies start solids, but I cannot imagine spoon feeding two babies.
This. I HATE spoon feeding. Regardless of how many babies I am dealing with, I will do BLW. If I was worried about choking/gagging, then I would feed one at a time. Disclaimer-I do not have twins, but have worked in childcare and just know from my hatred of spoon feeding in general that I will not spoon feed unless it is for some reason medically required, in which case I will try to stay positive and hope it is short term....did I mention I hate spoon feeding lol. The good thing is there is more than one way to do things, so just go with your mama gut. And it doesn't have to be all/nothing, you can mix it up.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

They're liking a little bit of commercial purees or homemade mashes And while I sound paranoid about choking, DD1 has had the Heimlich...more than once. And one of the twins kinda choked the very first time we gave her "solids", so my resolve about not spoonfeeding weakened. On the good side, DD1 really likes to be clean while eating & I hope the twins do, too.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I BLW, spoonfeed, mesh feed, whatever is most conducive at the time LOL. If my big kids (9,6,4) are feeding the twins, they will either choose spoon-feeding or feeding tiny bits of watermelon, banana, avocado, squashes with an appetizer fork. I prefer BLW so I can actually eat. In the car, the babies get freeze dried apples and bananas and do well. If we are ready for a major mess, some berries in a mesh feeder is a blast to watch.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My boys are almost 8 months (9 months actual, but I go by their original due date for age), and we are just doing purees and rice cereal. My older boy loves putting things in his mouth, and we tried the Gerber Puffs, but he ended up choking on them a little bit (they clearly do NOT melt in the mouth), so I may try the mesh feeders, because he really does not have the 'chewing' motion down yet. My younger twin gobbles up his baby food and rice, but doesn't know how to put things to mouth yet, but he's getting there.

Last edited by MyKzooFamily; 05-29-2014 at 02:22 PM.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote