Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
shutterhearts
Registered Users

How do you dry your pockets?

So I've seen tons of how to wash your diapers but usually people don't explain their drying methods. I know most line dry their diapers but I hear too much sun can also be bad for diapers and it's best to dry them directly in the sun only when needed. If this is the case where do you line dry them? We don't have fenced yards where we live and idk why but maybe I'm just paranoid someone is just going to mess with them or something. Also if you line dry what do you do during winter days? If you hang dry them how long does it take for them to dry outside and/or inside?

Then I noticed some people throw their pockets into the dryer on no or low heat. I know on low heat especially you're increasing the chances of your diapers delaminating correct? Also you're using more electricity.

We'll probably just hang dry them in the bathroom unless they need sunning but I'm curious as to what other people like to do.

And last question when prepping I notice some sites/brands/people recommend to dry them once with heat to seal the PUL/TPU around seams and snaps. Is this necessary? Anyone do this when they prep?

Ok I'm done with my tons of questions lol. Sorry this was kind of long. I'm not sure if I should prep my diapers sooner rather than later just in case anything delaminates (I have some cheapies I'm a little worried about) I can send it back and get a replacement before we actually start so I'm trying to figure out a good prepping, washing, drying routine now. Thanks!

Advertisement

shutterhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you dry your pockets?

I have both a clothesline and a drying rack. Depending on the weather, I hang my pockets (or covers) up to dry.

It doesn't take too long to dry outside. Inside, it takes most of the day. I throw my diapers in when my LO goes to bed and between when I go to bed and get up to nurse, they're washed and ready to go in the morning. I hang in the morning and stuff in the evening, so I have about 3 days worth of diapers.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
vivid
Registered Users
seller

I hang dry my pockets and covers on a rack inside. I don't have a clothesline and never bother dragging the rack outside. I don't have any stains on them so I haven't had need for the sun. I don't find microsuede stains for us at all. I hang them at night before I go to bed and they are dry by morning. I work full time right now so I usually stuff them later that night after work.

I bought all my pockets brand new and none have ever been in the dryer to be sealed or whatever. They are all just fine. I have BG 4.0s and a few Alvas.
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I put mine in the dryer on high heat. No issues after 2 years...many were bought used and I have no idea how old they are.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
flylady0505
Registered Users
seller

Low heat 60 min covers as well go in dryer or hang dry
flylady0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
shutterhearts
Registered Users

Thank you everyone!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I generally hang dry my pockets unless I need one in a rush. Since we only use pockets for nighttime I only have a couple, the often get hung inside unless I am drying everything outside, then I will outside.

If I used an entire stash to pockets I would probably do a short (or stop) a dryer cycle with them most of the time....

I guess if I really used all pockets I may try and hang them to dry always. This is what I use currently indoors.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
on this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 (also find them in dollar stores)

So that could hold 24 covers which would often probably be enough clips. I keep it over my washing machine on a cabinet most of the time and use 2 clips (top and bottom) when using all the clips I move it to the bathroom door so they can hang better. I love it because it is easy to store away if guests are coming. as well.

when I dry outside I take it out with me. It's an easy place to hang all the wipes outside (rather than clothes pins) I can clip it to the clothes line.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Nangirl17
Registered Users
seller

I have nearly all pockets (mostly Kawaii hd2 and Alva 4.0), and I have always line dried - outdoors in warm weather, and on the indoor line in my basement in cold weather. I have a large stash so they hang for two days in the winter (it's 12-14C down there in the winter). I only use the dryer in the summer when it is raining outside and super humid inside - a total of maybe 6 or 7 times over 16 months, and I usually dry only the inserts in the dryer. Hanging laundry is one of my all time favourite jobs!!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
shutterhearts
Registered Users

Thanks for the tips! I'll probably get some sort of drying rack because I'm due in Jan so it will be too cold to dry them outside or possibly use the dryer on low/no heat if necessary for like time or something. I guess I'll test drying inside when I prep them to see how long they take to dry and then go from there.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hang my covers on the back of the washer lid while the diapers/inserts dry. When diapers are all dry, I throw the covers/pockets in with them and put it on for 10-20 minutes on air fluff (no heat) setting.
I do have a drying rack and I use it too, but when I'm feeling lazy (most of the time) I just throw them in no heat dryer. I use the rack whenever diapers need sun.