Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #101
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Fully vaxing families?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchienurse View Post
Wow, that's alot. Most health departments will vax for free or a super reduced cost

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I actually called the health department after we had the huge bill I mentioned in my earlier post and was told that they were only able to do vaccinations for children on state health assistance (medicaid?). So, we don't qualify since we have our own insurance and have to pay for the vaccinations.

Advertisement

Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #102
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789

I actually called the health department after we had the huge bill I mentioned in my earlier post and was told that they were only able to do vaccinations for children on state health assistance (medicaid?). So, we don't qualify since we have our own insurance and have to pay for the vaccinations.
Isnt part of the new ACA that insurance companies have to cover well visits and vaccines with no copays? Our ins started 100% coverage for those services 2 or 3 years ago. I do know that target minute clinic does cheap vaccines- we always get our flu done there. It's ran through insurance for us, but they have the cash prices listed and I remember them being reasonable
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #103
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My insurance used to but since "aca", now we are billed for vaccines.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #104
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma123
My insurance used to but since "aca", now we are billed for vaccines.
Interesting....... We went from having well care copays to none, so I just assumed that was part of the whole ACA deal
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #105
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We always pay our co-pay for well visits ($10 for us) but then we are also billed a portion of anything that is done. Insurance only 'allows' X amount for vaccine costs, so if the doctor bills more than that we pay the difference.

I know my insurance hasn't had to make other ACA changes (like covering pap smears) because they are 'grandfathered in'. So hopefully, once that period is over we'll get all of the good changes!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #106
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

My dd is fully vaxed (at least for the school requirements). There's NO other choice in my state (WV). Dh and I don't really get any vaccines unless necessary (maybe a tetanus shot if needed).
tmwmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #107
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMum View Post
We fully vaccinate on schedule.
We do, too. I am the only one of us who didn't get a flu shot this year. I really have no good reason for not getting one, just haven't gotten around to it. This is the first year the kids have gotten flu vaxes. DH works in the ER, so he is totally up to date with everything. I am up to date with everything but the flu vax. As of right now, I do not forsee our kids getting the Gardasil vax, either. That's the only one that I am against. Maybe time will change my mind, though. Other than that, DH and I are both fairly passionate (esp DH...he rants on and on about non-vaxers) about vaccines.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #108
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we fully vax and on schedule.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #109
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are, hubby could not find any solid evidence to prove that it was harmful to vax and there were reported outbreaks of whooping cough near us.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #110
sparkle3116
Registered Users
seller

I spread them out a little sometimes since 4 vaccines in one visit seems excessive (we did 2 last time, then going back for 2 more with the nurse this month). I think more vaccines at one time probably increases the risk of a reaction or interaction, and I would rather give my little guy's immune system time to respond to one or two vaccines at a time. I also will delay a vaccination appointment if he's sick, but we're more-or-less on schedule.

I don't usually get the flu vacc. unless I'm working in health care and I didn't get Gardisil, but it was pretty new when I was in the age window.

DH works at the hospital, so he is fully vaccinated.

The dogs usually only get their annual vaccines every other year now that they're 5 or 6 years old, unless they have to go to the kennel, but they're indoors only except for walks on leashes. No dog parks or playdates for us anymore, since dog #2 doesn't play well with others When we did, they were on-schedule.

Last edited by sparkle3116; 02-08-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Adding dogs and SO :)
sparkle3116 is offline   Reply With Quote