Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
loganzmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Autism question

When did your child/ren start to notice they were "different" then other kids? My son is 7 & has recently has recently started saying comments that makes me think he has noticed it. He knows he is autistic but I'm not sure if he really understands what it means for him. I told him that autism is not an excuse to get out of doing something, it just means we(he) have to work on it a little harder & practice more (ex. Sight words, reading, ect.) & that EVERYONE is special, just in different ways. He is VERY Smart, Awesome with math, 1 of the most caring kids I have met. He was dx 2 yrs ago suspected for last 4yrs. Sometimes it feels like everyday is like the first day in this "world" of autism bc one day can be SOO different from the day before. I guess I am sad bc my "baby" is growing up. I only know 1 other autistic mom & she lives a state away so dont really get to have alot of convos & my friends that are close by dont really understand why this(along with other things) is bothering me. I am scared of what the future holds for "us"(mainly him).
Sorry for the ramble, I hope it is understandable.

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Autism question

Very understandable for me because I could have written this word for word about DS2. He realized in 2nd grade, so 7, that there was a difference in other kids. He was and still is so good at math. He made the highest score on the Leap tests in the entire parish when he was in 4th grade. That's why I had such a hard time getting him into special ed. I had to fight the school for 2.5 years.

Son is now 20. He holds down a job and has had his gf for 4 years. (I think she's undiagnosed autistic). They plan to get married, but both are afraid to take such a big step... Im sure that's part of the autism.

Just thought I'd give a positive report on a child that grew up. He still knows he's "different", but takes it to mean he has to try harder to make a name for himself in a world that is un-autistic.

I hope the best for you and your son. If you need to talk, pm me... I'm usually here stalking CDs
nana2peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
My DS is 7 and he has no clue other than he tells me he doesn't know why he gets so frustrated. We haven't told him yet. It doesn't help that he is so high functioning that many people don't see it or don't realize that his quirks are from being on the spectrum. No one local understands. My best friends second son who is 2 was just diagnosed and my heart is broken for her because the early days are so hard. Heck, we are 2 years into diagnosis (with 3 prior years suspected) and lately I've been having days where I feel in denial and I hang on to those moments where he seems typical. Then he has an emotional episode or tantrum or demands the same ______ he always does and I remember. It's hard!

We are getting no services right now, have an appt with a well known ped psych this month and I'm hoping that will send us in a direction. It seems to me that when your high functioning, it's hard to receive or find effective services because others tend to not see the issues. Kwim? I know it's hard for all of us, just in different ways. I wish I had answers, clear direction of what to do. The future scares me. I am so afraid of failing him.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Also, reading that your DS struggles with sign words and writing was comforting. DS HATES to write and has a lot of trouble with retaining information he's not currently interested in (ie if its not Pokemon or bugs your in for a battle).

He also struggles with math. The times tests are killing him. He stresses out about the time and that slows him down. It's an awful cycle.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote