Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Potty and Food Issues in Almost 5 yr Old

My son has PDD - NOS and will be 5 in May. He will be starting Kindergarten in September. I am really worried as he is a restrictive eater and not potty trained.

Potty - He will go at his special school and at home if you make him go. If you do not he does not ask or just go. He will pee himself and sit in it. He does not care if he is soaking wet. I worry that he will just pee himself all day in school, as he needs someone to take him every half hour from 9 - 10 AM and every hour there after.

Food - He will only eat like 5 foods and one of them is pizza. He is working on trying new foods in school with a special program. Right now he will kiss the food or lick it, but will gag if it is in his mouth. I worry about what he will eat in Kindergarten. His main meal is Elio's pizza. It is the only pizza and food he will eat. He will also eat Cuties, yogurt, and poptarts. They will not be able to fix his pizza and I am sure they will get concerned if I only send the other foods. I have no way to make him eat other foods. He will starve himself rather than eat other foods.

Any advice on what will happen or how to deal with this? Anyone else have a child who has similar issues?

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty and Food Issues in Almost 5 yr Old

If you haven't already, I would talk to the school about getting an IEP and/or having an evaluation done to see if he's eligible for a 504 (a plan that basically spells out any modifications your son may need in order to be "equal" to his peers).

As far as the eating, I can understand your concern there. My son does not eat any solid foods (but is not on a feeding tube), so when we discussed with the school about sending him to preschool, they have to make adjustments for him. Thankfully, they have applesauce and yogurt in their cafeteria so they can easily substitute those for him during snacktime (he won't eat without help though...but snack isn't a "necessary" meal so I haven't pursued it) and I can send his medical formula along with, too. If he continues to have issues when he begins kindergarten, we may require a 504 plan for him as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
aries416
Registered Users
seller

If the school is at all accomodating, the bathroom shouldn't be much of an issue. When I was teaching, I had a little girl who was not potty trained. She had no special needs. She went to the bathroom every hour in the nurse's office. Not a huge deal. The food issue will be more complicated.

I would let the school know ASAP what your son's needs are so they can plan for him.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

His school - he goes to special preschool - and case manager will be working with the Kindergarten to get his IEP done and his teacher mentioned a one on one support for the class. I worry about his eating the most as I know he will be very hungry by the end of the day.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

They are also concerned as he has not picked a hand to write with yet. He writes with both hands depending on his mood. Should they enforce a hand, or should we encorage his ambidexrousness?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
7mom7
Registered Users

My 5 year old has fecal incontinence related to some birth defects...it's HARD. It's a big part of why we homeschool. He doesn't seem to realize or care that he's dirty. Otherwise he's pretty "normal" despite some ADHD issues. Just wanted to offer some support
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
ralenth
Registered Users

On the picking a hand, they may make that a goal on his IEP. My middle son had not picked a hand, and it turned out being because he didn't cross the midline. They worked on crossing the midline, and picking a dominant hand. I don't have experience with the other stuff, but I know that with a 504 or IEP they need to work with you!!
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Your son sounds exactly like my daughter! We don't have the food issue though. We already had the transition meeting with the school disctrict. They are going to do their own eval and work with whatever needs she has. I would think other public schools would be similar. Can you ask a teacher at his special school about the upcoming transition?

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
My 5 year old has fecal incontinence related to some birth defects...it's HARD. It's a big part of why we homeschool. He doesn't seem to realize or care that he's dirty. Otherwise he's pretty "normal" despite some ADHD issues. Just wanted to offer some support
My son also still poops in his pants but will wait till he gets home to do it. Once he poops he will tell you he didn't and sit in it if you let him. We don't, of course, but if you do not catch it right away he will just sit in it and not care. He is the same way with pee though too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralenth View Post
On the picking a hand, they may make that a goal on his IEP. My middle son had not picked a hand, and it turned out being because he didn't cross the midline. They worked on crossing the midline, and picking a dominant hand. I don't have experience with the other stuff, but I know that with a 504 or IEP they need to work with you!!
I guess the OT in his special school is having them chart which hand he uses and the one he uses the most they are going to "pick" as his dominant one and work with him. I always thought it would be good to use both. I wish they would nurture that.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amegrl520 View Post
Your son sounds exactly like my daughter! We don't have the food issue though. We already had the transition meeting with the school disctrict. They are going to do their own eval and work with whatever needs she has. I would think other public schools would be similar. Can you ask a teacher at his special school about the upcoming transition?
I had a meeting with his head teacher, case manager, and head of the children's department at his school today. They are working with Rory to have him ready and I have to register him for Kindie and then set up the special needs meeting between the two schools. Then they will get an IEP in place and get on the same page.