View Poll Results: Which school should we pick?
Catholic school 12 13.33%
Public School 54 60.00%
Public School for Kindergarten Catholic School After 4 4.44%
Other Because there is always an other. 20 22.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Public or Private School.

My vote would be dependent on the quality of the public school, not the lunch program. Is it a good school? When you visit, what is the vibe you get? What is the behavior and academic achievement of the children there?

I would go public if it is a good school in your shoes, and Catholic if it is not.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't ever been to the public school and even the office is closed for the summer. So I really don't know anything about it. I was recently chatting with a local middle school teacher and she had heard that it was a great school, she was actually going to send her son there until they moved. My husband doesn't go into work until 9:30 so if the teacher wanted the help I could help her out for an hour each day.
I have been to an open house at the catholic school and it was a while ago but I was extremely impressed with the school. But it would be very difficult for me to help that teacher out because it starts later and I would have to take all three kids with me park the car and then take all of them with me in the class check her in and then get the 2 boys back in the car. every day
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do not support private schools. I don't believe education and business should mix. I have worked at a private school and did not like that they were financially driven. Students were not top priority, parents were lied to, and on and on. Parents think they are getting a better education for their children by forking out all of that cash, but ultimately, most could do better teaching them on their own through homeschooling.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I chose public. I don't have a problem with private or even christian schools but I have never heard a good thing ever from anyone about catholic schoools. I know I'm stereotyping but every single person I know who went to a catholic school hated it. My friend has a phobia of nuns b/c of it. We worked in a restuarant together and he wouldn't serve this nun at a table because he was scared to be around her (I know that there are many wonderful nuns out there that love children but this is what my experiences have been). I would personally do public for financial reasons too if those are the only options. We plan to home/un school though in the future.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My vote depends on each school. If your local PS is a good one that focuses on the students and helps them at their level, I'd vote that one hands-down. Be an involved parent and your child will get a wonderful education at just about any decent school. The "best school" is not necessarily that. OTOH, if the local school is terrible (fights/lockdowns/drug-issues constantly or a staff that doesn't care), I'd find a way in the budget to do the private school.

I actually have the opposite problem from you. I have reservations about sending my DD to our neighborhood school b/c it's *too* high-achieving. I'm a teacher myself and I hear the stories about the insane amounts of pressure and homework at that school. I know parents whose children are achieving ABOVE grade-level standards being told that their child is failing, needs tutoring, and that they are terrible parents for not working with their child enough, all because the child is low-achieving at that school (would be average or high at a school that graded based on the standards). I've decided to stick with it for now, be an involved parent and make sure that my child (who at 4 has already achieved 95% of the Kindergarten standards in CA) receives a good education. If the insanity starts getting to me or DD, I'll open enroll her to another elementary school or find a way to afford one of the local private schools.

BTW, your local private schools are CHEAP. Even on a 50% scholarship the cheapest local private school for us would be $4000 (reg tuition is $8000-15000).

For the PP that asked about the uniform costs, OP's estimate is about right. Public schools and charter schools that use uniforms cannot dictate where you buy, only a general "look". Private schools usually require a specific uniform from a specific vendor with the school's logo attached. The local ones I looked at cost $40-50 for a top, $40-60 for a pair of shorts/skirt, and $80ish for jumpers/dresses. They also required specific shoes (at $50-80/pair) and socks ($20 for a pack of 3). It could easily get to $500, plus you had to pay for alterations so that the proper fit was achieved (too short/too long, cut too wide, etc).
Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

And OP - the best way to find out about your local school is to ask parents who have kids there about their experience. Ask at the park, playgroups, other activities that your child attends (karate, gymnastics, soccer, tball, etc), even church if it's local.

Your next best bet is to ask teachers at the middle school that it feeds into. They generally know the strengths and weaknesses of each school that the kids come from.

Last edited by lanwenyi; 07-10-2012 at 03:49 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow everyone is being so helpful and giving me such great ideas!
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Catholic. It's very important to me for my child to go to a private religious school. I would do whatever it took financially to get her in.

Eta: it's not just about the quality of education

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 07-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Gosh, it really depend on a number of factors but I can tell you what our general philosophy is when it comes to schooling our children.

First, I should mention that we are military family with 3 children and rely solely on that income. It would be a huge struggle for us for have all 3 kids (especially this close in age) in private school at the same time for their entire school career and then have the potential cost of college to save for on top of it. So, we have to evaluate the needs of each kid.

So, our kids do public school first (on a military base when possible) and if there are concerns that I cannot overcome by supplementing at home then homeschooling (perhaps coupled with a charter school) would be our next option. Private school is our last option if that particular school can overcome the challenges we could not on our own.

We take education very seriously but, we also have to consider potentially having 3 kids in college at the same time and being able to provide for our own retirement in order to avoid being a burden on our children later in life. I work with my kids in the summer to make sure they are on firm ground for the following school year. We also take advantage of fall, winter and spring breaks from school. They use readingeggs to practice phonics/spelling, we are always checking out books from the library, we practice our handwriting, simple math (they are kindy & 1st graders) etc.

My sister is a teacher, so we always have her as a resource should we need it. I guess my point is, that if it is a financial hardship to choose private school then you should exhaust all your other options first.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I, personally would never go into debt for private school. I think it's irresponsible. I think you should put that money aside for college instead.

If you can't pay for school for three kids to go through the same school for 12 years, you should either homeschool, or go to public school. If you don't care for the education at the public school, look into a charter school.... Arizona has millions of charter schools. Personally, I think most of our charter schools here (in the valley) are throwaway schools... the kids who can't make it anywhere else. But, some are so awesome, I can't say enough good things about them.

Your first priority is to your family. A roof, utilities, food, etc.... but, not a private school education.