Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:
Toddler night-time help!!

My 26mo DD is in the early stages of PLing - in that, when she is naked and a potty is available, she will independently go to the potty and use it (even if I'm in another room). She is not reliable if she has training pants or undies on. And if she has a diaper on, she is perfectly happy to go in the diaper and often doesn't tell me after she's gone and doesn't seem bothered by a wet diaper. Except at night...

At night, I always have her sit on the potty before bed, sometimes she goes sometimes she doesn't. It generally takes her a while to fall asleep at night and she typically spends some time in her room talking to herself or looking at books after we've put her to bed. In the last month or so, she has started to open her bedroom door (there's a baby gate up in the doorway) and tell me she needs to pee after she's been put to bed. If I don't respond right away she will take her diaper off (snaps). Lately, what I've been doing is putting the potty in there and telling her to just use the potty and then I put her diaper back on after she's gone and put her back to bed. If I don't get to her in time and she's already wet, I just change her into a dry diaper. Although this was a hassle, I don't expect her to go to sleep in a wet diaper, so I just dealt with it. Although, I definitely think she was using it as a stall tactic many nights, but whatever.

But now, she is doing this in the middle of the night and no one is getting a good night's sleep! I think that she is waking up when she pees and then wants a dry diaper. Which I get, but getting up 2-3 times a night to change her is killing me! She goes down in Flips with a staydry insert and a doubler. She doesn't drink that much with dinner, and we don't do fluids after dinner, so I'm not sure how I can reduce her urine output overnight...

Anyone experienced something similar? Advice? I'm sure it's related to the PLing, but I have to say that I'd prefer if she PLed for day time first!

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son is a month older, but we're in the exact same boat!
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If she can put her own diaper off/on, why not leave one for her and have her change herself?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Toddler night-time help!!

a lot of parents take their child to pee right before they (the parent) goes to bed. That might help. Also, I've heard to have your child cough at the end of the pee, so more pee comes out. Sorta like preggo ladies lifting their belly up to finish peeing.

Another friend allows her child to go 'pee' 2x before bedtime. After that, she says it's a stall tactic and won't take him. He wears pullups to bed though, so it's not quite the same as sleeping in a wet cloth diaper.

I would get cloth trainers and put the baby potty next to the bed. That way you're not needed to rediaper. She can pull up and get back in bed. Put a small pile there and she can get a dry one if needed as well.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Caz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
If she can put her own diaper off/on, why not leave one for her and have her change herself?
She can take it off, but not put it on (we use Flip covers with snaps at night).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
a lot of parents take their child to pee right before they (the parent) goes to bed. That might help. Also, I've heard to have your child cough at the end of the pee, so more pee comes out. Sorta like preggo ladies lifting their belly up to finish peeing.

Another friend allows her child to go 'pee' 2x before bedtime. After that, she says it's a stall tactic and won't take him. He wears pullups to bed though, so it's not quite the same as sleeping in a wet cloth diaper.

I would get cloth trainers and put the baby potty next to the bed. That way you're not needed to rediaper. She can pull up and get back in bed. Put a small pile there and she can get a dry one if needed as well.
Actually, it takes her so long to actually go to sleep, that often I do end up pottying her pretty close to my own bedtime, but that's a good thing to keep in mind!

The bolded above is a great suggestion, it seems odd to me to have her in trainers at night when she still isn't entirely out of diapers during the day, but if she could change herself that might be a good solution... Right now, I have Imse Vimse trainers and I seem to recall from DS that they did a pretty good job of keeping the sheets dry when he was night-time training. I'll see how it goes! Thanks!!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Caz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So for 2 nights, I tried putting her to bed in trainers, both nights she wet the first trainer within the first hour after going to bed, so I went in and helped her change into dry pants. Then I went back in before I went to bed and got her up to sit on the potty, she didn't go even after sitting for a few minutes and started crying to go back to bed. Then, an hour or so later she was up and wet...

I'm definitely at the point where I'm ready to ditch the diapers during the day, she's ready and I know I'm just dragging this out. But I just don't know what to do about night. She's not ready to stay dry all night, but she also isn't going when I take her during the night, yet wakes up after she's already gone...

Any ideas? What can I try? DS was closer to 3 when he started making it clear that he was ready for PLing, but it was so much easier (probably b/c of the age?).
Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I hear that the night sleepy peeing is a reflex of sorts. So maybe when she's used to the potty and day trained, it'll be easier?

That does sound frustrating, momma - I'm so sorry!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Colorwithwords
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Emery has night trained herself after we totally ditched diapers during the day. She started where your dd is at, having 100% success without anything on. We let her hang out naked as much as possible during the day for a few days. Then we showed her the underwear, told her its not a diaper, and she pooped in it twice, peed once, and we have been diaper free daytime for a month. In the last 2 weeks she has just stopped peeing at night (other than a bedtime stalling) OR will tell me she needs to go if/when she wakes up. I still put a diaper on at night but 90% of the time it's dry in the morning. She's 23 months. I suggest ditching daytime diapers!