Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae
I have a functioning brain and a reasonable amount of common sense...I used them with all 3 kids, in moderation, with zero issues...
Yup.

All of my kids have used a walker except one. They all walked by 9/10 months and the one that didnt use one walked at 13 months (11.5 adjusted age. She was 6 weeks early) not that it really matters.

We never use it near stairs or for long periods of time but my kids loved it.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Walkers

I used it with my two, only on the first floor. Not one that I'm looking forward to dragging out again. The older kids seem to like to zoom the babies around in them (can we say whiplash) the guards leave colored streaks on the baseboards, they're always ramming into the backs of your heels, older kids climb on them and they can tip. If you have one, use it with a shred of common sense. If you don't, don't bother buying one. They are what you make of them, safe or unsafe.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think trying to correlate the use of walkers to early walking is a mistake. Both my kids were walking a hair before 11 months and no way would I put them in a walker.

I think the truth is closer to kids walking despite whatever huge plastic contraptions we foist on them.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I have a functioning brain and a reasonable amount of common sense...I used them with all 3 kids, in moderation, with zero issues...
Me too.

I've used them with all of my daycare kids, and the worst things that happen, is they run into your feet at a high rate of speed, so you have to learn to jump out of the way quickly. They also pull the table cloth, and open and close the trash can. Other than that, using common sense, it's completely safe.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
Me too.

I've used them with all of my daycare kids, and the worst things that happen, is they run into your feet at a high rate of speed, so you have to learn to jump out of the way quickly. They also pull the table cloth, and open and close the trash can. Other than that, using common sense, it's completely safe.
YES!!!!! The trash can! Lol!!!!!!! "Leave the trash alone!" was a common phrase here.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think the walker made my kids walk early (DS1 was 11 months, DD was 12 months, DS2 was 7 months)...I think they just walked when they walked. The walker was just something smaller to put them in if I needed them to be moderately contained. They liked it and DS2 loved using it outside on the patio.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner
I think trying to correlate the use of walkers to early walking is a mistake. Both my kids were walking a hair before 11 months and no way would I put them in a walker.

I think the truth is closer to kids walking despite whatever huge plastic contraptions we foist on them.
Definitely. My preemie was walking by 8.5-months. We didn't have a walker. We also had carpet then.

This baby wanted to also do nothing but cruise at 5-months. I couldn't devote all my time to making sure she didn't smack her head on the marble floor all the time since I have the other kiddo to look after. I also didn't want to stifle her need to cruise. If we had carpet, I wouldn't have gotten a walker.

I think they can be a great tool for babies who are early walkers when the house doesn't have safe flooring (tile, marble, etc.). We only used it downstairs. Upstairs, she was free to cruise and smack herself on the hardwood. The only place we have carpet is a rug at the bottom of 14-ft stairs!

The walker didn't make my dd2 walk early. It just let her safely feed her need to cruise.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner

That wasn't my point. My point was that it didn't Hinder their walking. And its great that there is no way you would use one.....or any plastic contraption..but some of us cant wear our kids 24 hours a day. A few minutes of time in a "plastic contraption" is unlikely to cause any severe or permanent damage to a baby.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can see the dangerous side, but MIL has one that I have let them use with supervision. But we never had one in our house...they had a jumper, an exersaucer and the walk n ride things, so we didn't see a need for them
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
DS loved his. He didn't want to be stationary after a while, unless I was right next to him. His walker has a removable top thingy, with a tray underneath. So he could snack on some yogurt drops or whatever and scoot around with me as I cleaned, made lunch, whatever. It was great for that awkward "I want to be independent and do everything myself, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE RIGHT NEXT TO ME WHILE I DO IT OR IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!" stage before he was walking on his own 24/7 and could keep up with me.

His also had little stoppers underneath so that if he got on ground too uneven or slanted, it wouldn't go any further. I suppose it was for stairs or steep inclines, but I just never had him near anything like that lol. Little bit of common sense goes a long way with things like that.

ETA: His was also a jumper (it's a car one) and could be locked to jump or not, and move or not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 07-13-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote