Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Walkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I have a functioning brain and a reasonable amount of common sense...I used them with all 3 kids, in moderation, with zero issues...
This.

My kids never used them because we just never had one and we have enough bulky baby crap so I didn't feel that getting one was necessary.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

That wasn't my point. My point was that it didn't Hinder their walking. And its great that there is no way you would use one.....or any plastic contraption..but some of us cant wear our kids 24 hours a day. A few minutes of time in a "plastic contraption" is unlikely to cause any severe or permanent damage to a baby.
I used a plastic contraption, actually - an exersaucer. They are babysitters, imo, not needed for baby development. I wish my son tolerated the exersaucer more and I was a bit disappointed that he didn't. But I think he would have walked when he did whether I stuck him in an exersaucer or a walker or a jumper or nothing. So it seems we agree on that point. I do think walkers seem a bit dangerous though.

Last edited by danielle; 07-13-2012 at 11:33 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

When DS was in the NICU, the doctors made us sign a form with information on walkers and recommending against their use. I talked to them about it, and it wasnt just preemies, they are very bad developmentally for all babies, they also were adamantly against bumbo seats. It wasnt that walkers hinder walking, but they are bad for development in the long run. They also cause a lot of kids to learn to walk on their toes, which continues to be bad for their spines, etc beyond the use of the walker. I used both with my first, but their passion against them made me go home and toss both. I forget the type of doctor he was (we saw so many, it's a blur) but he specifically worked in this area.

Last edited by harmoni247; 07-13-2012 at 11:39 AM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulily View Post
Are baby walkers safe to use?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Not as far as I am concerned. They are not developmentally helpful and may in fact be detrimental to a child's natural development (see AAP article below).
A while back, I read that baby walkers have the second highest rate of death & injury to infants, after standard cribs. (I think it was the Baby Bargains book.)

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...108/3/790.full "Adult supervision also cannot be relied on to prevent infant walker-related injuries." (Third paragraph under "Prevention")
To be honest (and I'm not trying to be critical or snippy, here, so please, no flames), I don't think it is fair to say that "just using your brain" will prevent injuries related to baby walker use. It isn't really reasonable (or kind) to assume that the parents of kids who have accidents in them are irresponsible or don't supervise their kids. From the article, the AAP makes it clear that adult supervision makes little to no difference in the amount or type of injuries.

They aren't necessary, and given the risks associated with their use (cranial injuries, drowning, burns, etc.), and the billions of other toys and options out there, it is safer to skip them.

Last edited by TooBusyBearcubs; 07-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #25
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBusyBearcubs View Post
Not as far as I am concerned. They are not developmentally helpful and may in fact be detrimental to a child's natural development (see AAP article below).
A while back, I read that baby walkers have the second highest rate of death & injury to infants, after standard cribs. (I think it was the Baby Bargains book.)

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...108/3/790.full "Adult supervision also cannot be relied on to prevent infant walker-related injuries." (Third paragraph under "Prevention")
To be honest (and I'm not trying to be critical or snippy, here, so please, no flames), I don't think it is fair to say that "just using your brain" will prevent injuries related to baby walker use. It isn't really reasonable (or kind) to assume that the parents of kids who have accidents in them are irresponsible or don't supervise their kids. From the article, the AAP makes it clear that adult supervision makes little to no difference in the amount or type of injuries.

They aren't necessary, and given the risks associated with their use (cranial injuries, drowning, burns, etc.), and the billions of other toys and options out there, it is safer to skip them.
Hmmm...I didn't read the link, but I don't consider cribs or walkers to be unsafe. It is funny to me though that people think that walkers are terrible, and I know that they aren't recommended. I do think you should use common sense (maybe block the stairs?) and supervision when you use them. Anyway, what's so funny to me is that the AAP does not recommend walkers and thinks they are unsafe even with supervision, yet they recommend that a crib is where a baby should sleep even though they have the highest rate of injury and death of any baby product. Does that seem ironic to anyone else? Make you go ? That doesn't make sense.

I do think that walkers are unnessacary, and bulky. But my first two kids used them....shoot, my Mom used one when she was little, and then it was well known that sometimes they would fold up while in use, and people still put their kids in them and thought little of it. I don't think they are bad, or will ruin your children, and if you want to use one go right ahead. Come to think of it--my first two used one and have had absolutely no development issues, my 3 kid never used one and has had lots of developmental issues. It's not related to walkers, so don't get me wrong, just ironic.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #26
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Hmmm...I didn't read the link, but I don't consider cribs or walkers to be unsafe. It is funny to me though that people think that walkers are terrible, and I know that they aren't recommended. I do think you should use common sense (maybe block the stairs?) and supervision when you use them. Anyway, what's so funny to me is that the AAP does not recommend walkers and thinks they are unsafe even with supervision, yet they recommend that a crib is where a baby should sleep even though they have the highest rate of injury and death of any baby product. Does that seem ironic to anyone else? Make you go ? That doesn't make sense.

*snip*
Yes, it is definitely counter-intuitive. Personally, I think the U.S, needs to completely re-evaluate our definition and expectations of infant sleep and all details related thereto. But, I digress.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I thought this very thing as I read this thread.

Honestly, I think walkers are like ANYthing baby related. Too much of anything is not so great. DS1 used one at his Nana's. I was too cheap to get one for here and my kiddies were content to sit in their swing *gasp* while I made dinner. And if I was really lucky, they'd take a nap there.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I only want to comment on your statement that they have no development issues....i dint think you would. It would be down the road...maybe back issues as an adult, etc. I never took that to mean something seriously debilitating. Just something to avoid.

]
Quote:

I do think that walkers are unnessacary, and bulky. But my first two kids used them....shoot, my Mom used one when she was little, and then it was well known that sometimes they would fold up while in use, and people still put their kids in them and thought little of it. I don't think they are bad, or will ruin your children, and if you want to use one go right ahead. Come to think of it--my first two used one and have had absolutely no development issues, my 3 kid never used one and has had lots of developmental issues. It's not related to walkers, so don't get me wrong, just ironic.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:
I have never used one with any of my children and would never allow anyone else to put my children in them either.

I'm an NAFCC Accreditation Observer and they are certainly not allowed in those child care homes seeking accreditation, also child care licensing in most states prohibits their use. I think it is probably only a matter of time before the U.S. follows Canada's lead and bans them altogether.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #30
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I almost killed my little brother when he was in one. He couldn't move it and my mom didn't think about me pushing it. She was doing laundry in the basement and had this strong impression to go upstairs right away. I had pushed him to the edge of the stairs and innocently said, "mommy, look at Andrew!" She almost had a heart attack.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote