Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #41
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Walkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
I only want to comment on your statement that they have no development issues....i dint think you would. It would be down the road...maybe back issues as an adult, etc. I never took that to mean something seriously debilitating. Just something to avoid.

]
Really? With all the things that could have happened between infanthood and adulthood their tying adult back pain to use of baby walkers? That seems insane. Also...like a pp said, if walkers caused back pain (or whatever) so would exersaucers. I thought the issues were more falling down the stairs and using the wrong muscles to walk with?

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #42
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Really? With all the things that could have happened between infanthood and adulthood their tying adult back pain to use of baby walkers? That seems insane. Also...like a pp said, if walkers caused back pain (or whatever) so would exersaucers. I thought the issues were more falling down the stairs and using the wrong muscles to walk with?

That's insane! Plus, how long is a kid in one of these things at one time anyway? I think the longest i've ever had a child stay in any container is 20 minutes at a time. I could see it being a problem if a baby was in that for hours.

The thing that I think is so stupid about banning them, is they happily sell crotch dangler baby carriers in every store...but, then get all upset about a baby walker.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #43
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
I almost killed my little brother when he was in one. He couldn't move it and my mom didn't think about me pushing it. She was doing laundry in the basement and had this strong impression to go upstairs right away. I had pushed him to the edge of the stairs and innocently said, "mommy, look at Andrew!" She almost had a heart attack.
I also got my sister to get into the dryer and shut the door and turned it on.

but we have a dryer in our house as well as a walker.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #44
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post

LMBO!!!!!!

My brother pushed me through a basement window. (from the outside) Everyone in my family has windows.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #45
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets
I'm not getting how they tip over. Dd ran like a bat-out-of-hell all throughout, including hairpin corners, and she never tipped it?
Mine has a SUPER huge base. Bigger than the 3in1 exersaucer base. But I have seen some flimsy walkers with tiny bases. And I could easily see DS toppling one of those back in the day when he used a walker. Also, any uneven ground or getting stuck could be part of it.

I live in a single story home, no stairs, entire house is baby proof (really easy to do when you don't have a lot of stuff lol), and the base of it was so darn big he couldn't reach out and touch anything beyond the walker before the base would stop him. He always wanted to be in the same room as me too, so I felt fine with him in it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 07-13-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #46
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh

Mine has a SUPER huge base. Bigger than the 3in1 exersaucer base. But I have seen some flimsy walkers with tiny bases. And I could easily see DS toppling one of those back in the day when he used a walker. Also, any uneven ground or getting stuck could be part of it.

I live in a single story home, no stairs, entire house is baby proof (really easy to do when you don't have a lot of stuff lol), and the base of it was so darn big he couldn't reach out and touch anything beyond the walker before the base would stop him. He always wanted to be in the same room as me too, so I felt fine with him in it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Yeah. Why would anyone put the walker where it could fall down stairs or uneven places? That's like the McDonald's coffee lady!!!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #47
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I didn't have a walker with DS1. Then again, we lived in a 700sqft apartment, there was no place for one! With DS2, we got given one and I was great. It was the only way I could set DS2 down sometimes. I could put him in the walker with a few puffs or something long enough to cook dinner (or at least hold him off until DH got home). I'm all for babywearing, but next to a hot stove, it doesn't work so well. FWIW, we live in a rambler, and DS2 only had access to the kitchen, living and dining rooms.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #48
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
LMBO!!!!!!

My brother pushed me through a basement window. (from the outside) Everyone in my family has windows.
These crack me up! I think it's funny when people use these kinds of reasonings...one time something bad happened in a walker, so all walker use is evil. One time someone fell down the stairs, so we can only live in a one story house. You could use that kind of reasoning on anything! I heard on a thread the other day that a woman died of drinking too much water. Seriously? It's weird, but does that mean we should all boycot water??
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #49
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets View Post
I'm not getting how they tip over. Dd ran like a bat-out-of-hell all throughout, including hairpin corners, and she never tipped it?
I don't see how either...and our walker is like 20 years old and I still can't figure out how anyone could tip it. I guess if you're near stairs but...really? Duh, don't use walkers around stairs. Common sense. We don't have any stairs, my 44.5" tall 4 year old can just barely see over our counters (so I know my 20-something inch tall 6 month old wouldn't have been able to reach up there...he doesn't have 20 inch arms). I keep chemicals above MY head (common sense) and without his Go-Go-Gaget arms he couldn't reach on the stove so I'm not seeing how kids burned themselves. *shrug*
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #50
crunch!910
Registered Users

Besides finding them pointless, I have no other issue with them. I don't put m y child in walkers. However, DS1 LOVED a jumperoo! and I'll be buying one for DS2.