Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Why is being a parent SO hard?!

DD is a year old and the love of my life, but I keep thinking it should be "easier" by now. I still find myself overwhelmed most days. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't love being a parent every minute of the day. DD is my world and I can't imagine my life without her, but there are some days when I just need a break.

I was diagnosed with PPD and have been on meds for the past few months and they definitely help, but I get nervous for the day when I have to get off of them. Will I be able to function without them? It also makes me nervous to think about another baby in the future. She's a pretty good baby so what if the next one has colick, never sleeps, etc? How will I cope?

This is more of a vent that anything because I'm hoping others on here will understand!

Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Oh mama, I can understand where you are coming from. It isn't easy and I can't imagine having another one and my DS is almost 3.5. You don't have to get off of your PPD meds, so try not to worry about that right now. I would honestly suggest trying some counseling. The counselor can help you think of things differently so that they don't seem so overwhelming.
Shelby, Wife to Adam, WOHM to DS Cale 2-05-09
punksalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Registered Users
Welcome to parenthood, the most stressful, harrowing, frightening, amazing, wonderful, overwhelming, hectic, beautiful thing you will ever do.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Registered Users
AMEN! There are definitely days (many of them) when i need the time out. Hang in there!
leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
I feel you mama! Ds1 is a huge handful- and I felt like we needed to wait to ttc. Well, DH convinced me to anyways saying they'd be best friends and we could just get through the baby stage all at once. Ds1 is now 3 and constantly enjoys pushing my buttons and putting up power struggles. Ds2 had multiple food allergies.. At the height of it we (he and I) were sleeping 20 mins of every hr because he was on so much pain from what I had consumed & passed on in my milk. :/
Everyone says it gets easier- and in some ways it does; but there will always be something new. Idk if I'll be able to look back and say that these early years have been the best of my life- or even that I'll fully miss it. :/ but I do love these little guys! Just wish there was a serious manual for their specific personalities! Lol
mama to three sweet, rough & tumble boys who always keep me on my feet:
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Registered Users
Re: Why is being a parent SO hard?!

You are not alone! Some people seem to be born to be moms but it makes sense that the rest of us struggle sometimes. Don't judge yourself against those women who make 8 kids seem effortless, just do the best you can. I have 2 and now that my baby is 9 months old I finally feel like I have my feet under me again. The first 6 months was hard but I knew we would get through it and I would be grateful to have my 2 beautiful daughters.
Part time working mom to DD1 (8/09) and DD2 (10/11)
diana51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:
DD is 21months now and I think it's finally getting easier. But even now it sometimes feels surreal like I'm just playing house and then I remember I'm a mom for life and I feel incredibly inadequate.

I have yet to meet a mom that didn't need a break from time to time.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

It's a tough age. I heard so many horror stories of the terrible 2's, but really, things have gotten SO much easier since he turned 2. They understand so much more and time outs or taking away privledges really start to resonate with them. It's hard to reason with a 1 year old.
Regarding the PPD, it won't last forever. Hang in there!
K&K My little firecracker Lennon 10.09, crying before he fully emerged and My little sweetheart Indi 6.12, born smiling
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users

I think it's perfectly natural to not love being a mom every minute of the day. I do not. I love it 95% of the time and I think that's just enough!

Don't compare yourself to anyone else, nor worry about your meds. You really do not know what other people are doing, and how they are coping. They may have a pitcher of martinis in the closet. Your meds are helping and the day when you do not need the help anymore you won't worry about it.

I have a 9 month old who loves nothing more than to pull chunks of my hair out and take off my glasses and stab me in the eye with the earpieces. I know how it is
Mama to B and E, Wife to E
Parenting with Hugs and Terror since 2011
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Registered Users

I feel the same way as you, mama, especially on the hard days like today. I found myself looking at the clock every 30 seconds wondering when DH would get home so I could just get a break.

I have a good friend whose son is the same age as my DD. She is trying to get pregnant again. I feel like I need a good 4 years minimum to recover emotionally from the past 14 months since my DD has been born. I don't understand how some moms can be so gung ho about doing it all over again, whereas I just feel like I've been run over by a truck and don't have the desire to repeat the experience anytime in the near future.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote