Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
SAHM going back to school. I don't know where to put this.

I am a new SAHM. I was working on the weekends, with my commute I was gone 16 hours a day Sat and Sun. So I was gone for a functional 48 hours, and then it took Friday to prep everything, and Monday to recover it.
I was taking nine hours of college work, online, (RN to BSN if it matters what- that is where one has their RN and is taking the management and general ed classes online).
That was challenging.

I love my DH- he is a good man, but I can't do school work where he can see me, nor can he notice that I am in school by the house being messy or supper not done. He gets all tore up about it and I want to HIS in a wall. (He is really is my best friend so I can say that.)

Sooo...
Now that I am SAH, I wonder how many hours I can take if I send the children to a day camp thing 2 days a week. I have a grant that will help me pay for it.

15 hours of online seem like too much?
I want this DONE!

It would be Lit 1, Lit 2, College Algebra, Chem II, and Nutrition

Advertisement

Last edited by Numommy; 07-13-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: SAHM going back to school. I don't know where to put this.

I did one online class (Physics 4sh w/ a lab class for 1hr/wk) and it was a killer. It was 10x the work of a reg class. With only 2 days to get all the work done, I wouldn't rec more than 8sh of online classes.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

15 credits/5 classes is full time. I would consider it equivalent to working full time. If you think you can make that work... Great! If not, scale back and take a little longer. I'm working on my masters. I'm doing 2 classes... And wow. It helps that my program is online, so I have a ton of flexibility in when and how I do my work. But just try to set yourself up for success for me, that means going slower.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Good luck momma!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
mamma_z
Registered Users

The Literature and nutrition are probably mostly reading, and may be less time consuming. Depending on your background, the science and
math might make 15 hrs very hard to balance with home life. Can you test out of any of the courses with AP tests?
mamma_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is an AP test? Sorry.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Advance Placement tests.

Same as CLEP tests, where you test out and don't actually have to take the class.

Commonly used for English and Mathematics classes, but generally available for tons of things including Chemistry, etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
TangerineTea
Registered Users
seller

I am a Career Counselor and have worked at colleges. Everyone is different, and it depends on how you are with time & stress management in addition to which subjects you find easier for you. However, combining that with parenting (even if you do not have to work) along with household and other life obligations....15 hours (or units) seems like a lot. You have to remember that each unit generates at least 1-2 hours of homework. English courses require loads of reading which you can skim, however they also require lots of writing and that can be time consuming especially if you are not a strong writer. Chem and Algebra tend to be more demanding as answers are either right or wrong and not open for personal interpretation the way English is. Nutrition should be straightforward reading/memorizing/test taking. Finally, online courses require participation in online "group" discussion boards, in addition to watching videos and related assignments. Some professors really load up students on coursework so you can end up with a ridiculously hard nutrition class and a "joke" of a Chem class. You can always search professors on ratemyprofessor.com. In your situation, I would recommend half what your thinking....maybe 8 units. This is especially true if you are on the quarter system which flies by even faster. You don't want to get stuck with too many papers or midterms happening all at once. I understand you wanting to get it done quickly, but you want to set yourself up for success or else you may not get it done at all. Best of luck to you!
TangerineTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been a SAHM for almost 4 years and I JUST (yeah, dummy me for waiting so long) went back to school in August 2011. I took 12 credit hours my 1st semester (all seated classes, online scared me too much in the beginning) and it was VERY hard. I love my DP and he is wonderful, that being said, he said that I can only enroll DS in childcare (aka school LOL) and go back to school if I keep up with my current responsibilities since the childcare will cost an extra $200 a WEEK for me to go back. This was a good compromise, he is spending an extra $800 a week on our son's childcare for me to get a degree. Everything was working out great and the only hiccup I have had was finding out baby 2.0 is due to be released this fall...LOL I decided to stop school for now (only have Math, Physics, Statistics, & Anatomy left before entering my Program which is Med Sonography) since I really need to REMEMBER what I learned in those classes before getting into the program!!! I wish you the very best of luck and I know I wasn't much help, it just makes me feel so good seeing Mama's bettering themselves!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Whats up with these husbands not picking up
Some slack around the house while their wives are in school. Things are supposed to just go on as normal with no inconvenience to them? Must be a nice life, and no one would get away with it in my house.

I make the most money on our house. Everyone pitches in. I just hired a cleaning lady after 10 years of shared housework. Now that the kids are older they help out to.