Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
getting kids to listen!?!

My 5yo is particularly bad. I have to repeatedly ask him to do things. Get dressed, brush teeth, make bed. He's just so busy playing he won't stop to do it. When we get in the van he starts goofing off to make faces at the baby (while it's cute when the baby laughs...) I have to ask him several times to sit down and put his seatbelt on. My 7yo is better when it comes to asking him to get dressed and such. But I can't get either one to clean up toys.

What are some ways you handle this? I usually end up doing things for them, like picking up toys. I just need a good way to encourage them to do what I ask the first time. I know they hear me and are ignoring me. And that's frustrating!

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:
Re: getting kids to listen!?!

Um I dunno because my 5 yr old doesn't listen to me 90% of them time. And then other other 2 littles follow suit.
ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

good to know I'm not alone! It's just so aggravating! I'm usually busy with the baby, well toddler, that I would like to ask them to do something and they go do it. I would just like them to be a little more responsible. Apparently, I haven't done a good job of teaching them to be.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I take the toy away. I tell them they can't have it back for 24 hours if they don't listen. This worked for my son when he was younger.

I also did the trash bag method of clean up. I would set a timer. All toys not picked up in that time went into a trash bag and put in the garage for a week.

He started to take me serious when his toys all got confiscated!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We also did clean ups through out the day after he got in the habit... life was easier. Pick up time was before lunch, before dinner, and before bed.

After a while, it was pick up between activities. ("If you want to watch that video, you have to pick up your toys!" or "We will go to the park as soon as your toys are picked up and you are dressed. But if it doesn't happen by XXX time... we can't go today. ")

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
godsprincess497
Registered Users

My Mood:

You are not alone... one task at a time, have them repeat it back to you and follow up is very important to make sure they did as you asked.

We clean up right before bed so that the morning starts out clean
godsprincess497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I need to be better about being consistent. I've gotten lazy with making them do something before watching tv or something. Today, I told the 7yo to clean up a bunch of those cheap little army men that are scattered all over the table. He said, "we might play with them later".

I need some good storage ideas, too. I feel like I have nowhere to put toys that get taken away for not cleaning up. They usually end up in my room and then I feel like my room has turned into a mess.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
We also did clean ups through out the day after he got in the habit... life was easier. Pick up time was before lunch, before dinner, and before bed.

After a while, it was pick up between activities. ("If you want to watch that video, you have to pick up your toys!" or "We will go to the park as soon as your toys are picked up and you are dressed. But if it doesn't happen by XXX time... we can't go today. ")
We do the same. My oldest is only three though.

I also only have a limited number of toys that are left out and I rotate those to keep interest and keep messes small. They always have access to the rest of the toys though. I keep them in the closet, they just have to ask for them first and I never let them pull something out of the closet unless they clean up all the other toys firsts. At 2 and 3 they are amazing little cleaners. I hope it continues. I also take toys away toys that are not picked up in my allotted time.

As for listening in general we go back and forth on how well they do. For my kids they listen well when I am consistent and never ask twice. I say it once and leave them to obey. When I come back if they have not obeys I immediately give a consequence. I never ask again. Now when I get busy with the baby and repeat myself due to not wanting the inconvenience of putting baby down to deal with it they stop listening. We go in phases as I am consistent for a while and then loose it for a while.

Parenting is tough. I wish I could always be consistent.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Kids and listen don't belong in the same sentence. my 4yo is bad but my 2.5 to is WORSE!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West View Post
Kids and listen don't belong in the same sentence. my 4yo is bad but my 2.5 to is WORSE!!!