Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Toddler losing fingernails??

Yds, 2.5, is losing his fingernails?! Anyone have this happen?? He's lost 2 so far and another on the way. They appear white underneath like a bubble then a few days later it's gone. But there is always a nail half grown in when I pull the old one off. What the heck?! Vitamin deficiency?

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler losing fingernails??

Did he have some sort of injury?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
jjgammon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
has he injured them lately? The only time I ever saw a kid lose a nail was when my stepsister got her toe smashed. Her big toenail turned black & fell off...

I've never seen or heard of one turning white & falling off. I'm curious to see any other responses.

Sent from my old beater Android with no phone service because we're THAT broke.
My ISO/IHA thread
jjgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It definitely could be a deficiency, like iron. Has he been sick or had a rash recently? I know of a few kids who've lost their fingernails after a bad case of hand, foot and mouth.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Crew&West
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryChicMama
It definitely could be a deficiency, like iron. Has he been sick or had a rash recently? I know of a few kids who've lost their fingernails after a bad case of hand, foot and mouth.
He did have h,f and m about two months ago really bad. Hmmmm! He also has eczema bad. No injury though. It doesn't hurt him they just pop off like its nothing.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West

He did have h,f and m about two months ago really bad. Hmmmm! He also has eczema bad. No injury though. It doesn't hurt him they just pop off like its nothing.
I have seen many cases of HFM where children lose their fingernails long after the fact.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryChicMama View Post
DS1 had H,F&M awhile ago and his hands peeled up to his wrists like 3 weeks afterwards. It was like he was molting. Definitely weird. It could be the HFM.

OP, are the nails tender/does he complain about them? I might call the pedi to get their opinion.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wierd. The first thing that pops into my head is maybe a vitamin/mineral issue of some sort? The only time any of my kids lost any nails was just a while back after DD smashed her toe with a board and it turned black and nasty, and then a few months later fell off. Obviously that's not what you're talking about, so I don't know? I would maybe call the Dr. to see what they say. Since they are growing back and it's not painful I wouldn't think it would be anything huge, but maybe they could give you a cause?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Crew&West
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
Wierd. The first thing that pops into my head is maybe a vitamin/mineral issue of some sort? The only time any of my kids lost any nails was just a while back after DD smashed her toe with a board and it turned black and nasty, and then a few months later fell off. Obviously that's not what you're talking about, so I don't know? I would maybe call the Dr. to see what they say. Since they are growing back and it's not painful I wouldn't think it would be anything huge, but maybe they could give you a cause?
It's definitely weird!! Here's some pics I just took. . The first pic you can sort of see (bad pic) a nail growing under a nail. It's pushing the old one off. In the second you can see the new nails coming in on his middle and pinky. Those are the two that I pulled off so far. And on his one finger, ring finger, you can see the bubble like thing under it. It looks like a white spot or white polish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3167650802.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	112740   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-809895924.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	112741  

Last edited by Crew&West; 07-13-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
My sons nails did this exact same thing! Looked just like those pics! He also had h,,f&m but it was a mild case. I was planning on asking the pedi at his 2 year checkup next month.