Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Stupid question about fevers....

DS just had two teeth come through at the same time, they're out a couple millimeters and he's been spiking mini fevers every now and then. Right now it's at 99.5 which isn't worrying me, but when do I need to start worrying and what do I do? Sorry this is such a stupid question, but this is the first time DS has ever had a fever, and after 9 months I got too comfortable with him never getting sick. lol

Oh! And every once in a while I catch his rubbing his ears, but he doesn't seem to be in any pain in general so idk if the temp is just from cutting teeth or maybe a small ear infection? Bleh, I don't want to be one of THOSE mom's, but he's never had temperatures before so I'm lost.

TIA!

Advertisement

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 07-14-2012 at 09:15 AM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
99.5 isn't anything to worry about. Its very low grade.
But if it'd make you feel better call your Peds nurse.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hi mama--
As a general rule, I don't give fever meds unless the temp reaches close to 100.5, and even then only if my child seems uncomfortable. I have a tendency to go much more by how my boys are acting than what the thermometer says.

ETA: I don't think there are stupid questions when it comes to caring for our children! And, I totally agree that it's okay to call the pediatrician if you have any concerns.

Last edited by FrenchTeacher; 07-14-2012 at 09:28 AM.
FrenchTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No I know it's nothing big to worry over. I mean at what point do I start worrying and what do you ladies do when your kiddos have temperatures?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTeacher
Hi mama--
As a general rule, I don't give fever meds unless the temp reaches close to 100.5, and even then only if my child seems uncomfortable. I have a tendency to go much more by how my boys are acting than what the thermometer says.
He's been acting completely normal maybe a hairs width more cranky. So I'm definitely not worried right now.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm
No I know it's nothing big to worry over. I mean at what point do I start worrying and what do you ladies do when your kiddos have temperatures?
I think I recall 100.4 being the magic number for medicating an infant? Anyone else have this number in mind?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: Stupid question about fevers....

I don't think 99.5 is even considered a fever generally. It is within the normal range of temp fluctuations. A fever is usually anything over 100.4 F. I'd say that with fevers worrying is warranted if it lasts for several days, gets above 104, or baby is lethargic/uncomfortable/not taking fluids. I don't generally medicate or call the doc unless one of those things happen. My 10 month old had her first fever a few weeks ago. It got up high so I gave her a lukewarm bath and alternated tylenol and motrin until things were back under control.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I typically don't medicate for fevers ever. A fever has a purpose and when you give meds to bring It down the body loses that defense mechanism. I have a dd with kidney reflux and she will run high fevers when she has an infection. We just let the fever do its job along with the antibiotics. Sure she won't want to play and will sleep a lot more than norml but she needs that anyway when sick. I just don't like to use stuff to mask normal processes. Kids are very resilient and unless they had. Hx of febrile seizures I would not medicate.
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think 100.4 is only something to worry about in newborns qnd thats when most daycares wont accept kids. I always go by how the girls are acting. It they only have 100 degree fever but are.completely misserable I give meds. If they have 102.5 but are acting fine then I let their body take care of it. As for pulling on/messing with his ears it's a typical sign of teething. Give wet rags that have been in the fridge to chew on and if he's on solid give cold things(cold banana, yogurt, ect).

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmum
I don't think 99.5 is even considered a fever generally. It is within the normal range of temp fluctuations. A fever is usually anything over 100.4 F. I'd say that with fevers worrying is warranted if it lasts for several days, gets above 104, or baby is lethargic/uncomfortable/not taking fluids. I don't generally medicate or call the doc unless one of those things happen. My 10 month old had her first fever a few weeks ago. It got up high so I gave her a lukewarm bath and alternated tylenol and motrin until things were back under control.
This. It is is not even a fever until 100.4
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote