Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: The Best of Both Worlds: At Peace with Formula Feeding

I struggled to come to the decision to stop BFing and pumping for my twins, I was spending all my time either pumping or cleaning up or getting formula ready for the 'other' feed. But when I did stop I realised that there is more to being a good mummy than just breast milk!

Advertisement

Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand that kind of resentment and I've always thought we moms are way too hard on ourselves trying to live up the standard of the perfect mom. I'm am so glad you are at peace!

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
Diego&Amelia'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Diego´sMom
seller
seller

My Mood:

yay! I'm not alone, my 3.5 weeks old, not latch properly, and I nurse her 2-3 times a day and supplement with formula
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #24
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlittleton
I wish that nurses and doctors were more educated on breastfeeding. They make you feel like crap, if you chose not to breastfeed, or if you want to supplement because you're having issues. Yet they can't seem to help you. The 2 days we were in the hospital, we never once got a proper latch. I told every nurse that would come in and check on us, that he wasn't latching, and if he did seem to latch on he'd fall asleep within 5 minutes and wasn't eating. No one seemed concerned at all. I never saw a lactation consultant, no one discussed pumping while we were there, or supplementing.. By the time we were to be discharged he was so hungry and frustrated that nothing we did would calm him down. Which doesn't make it any easier to get a proper latch.. Finally the doctor who discharged us, brought us some bottles. I'm so thankfully for her. She told me not to feel bad to offer him some formula to try to calm him down to help him latch, and set up an appointment with a lactation consultant for me. The pediatrician that was covering for his regular pediatrician made me feel like sh*t for that. He came in right after we'd giving him an oz! Only an oz of formula, and told me that I shouldn't be giving up so quickly, and that I should always try to bring him to the breast first before giving him formula. For one, this pediatrician was a man.. WTF! Two, he came into our room twice that morning both times while I was attempting to breastfeed, and my lo was screaming bloody murder.. It's not like I was giving up completely, my lo needed something in his stomach. And now only 4 weeks later, I have no milk, at all. I started pumping around the clock once we got home and was pumping 3 oz every 2 hours. Then one day I was only getting 1 oz every 2 hours. Then it as down to half an oz. I tried supplements to help increase my supply but nothing seemed to work.. It was a tough decision, and I still feel horrible for it but I stopped pumping almost a week ago now. I haven't leaked once since then, and my breasts haven't hurt at all. It's upsetting explaining to people why I'm not breastfeeding, especially when they don't seem to believe that's why I'm not breastfeeding..
Yup....this...not the peds part but the "why I'm not bf'ing" part...I am here with ya..it hurts to see other people feed their babies too...we've been bottle exclusive for about 2 weeks now and it was sooooo hard

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
pretty girl
Registered Users

Thank you for this. I stopped bfing and pumping when my daughter was 3 weeks because I wasn't even producing half an oz every 15 mins. I've been having such a hard time with her needing formula
pretty girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty girl View Post
Thank you for this. I stopped bfing and pumping when my daughter was 3 weeks because I wasn't even producing half an oz every 15 mins. I've been having such a hard time with her needing formula
Us mama's have to support each other! It's so easy to feel like we are being judged because we are unable to EBF. The most important little people in our lives are not judging us (they don't even know how to) and they love us no matter what!!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

to the mamas on here. i remember when i decided to stop ebf my dd. she was 5 weeks old and i had been through bleeding nipples, painful breasts to the point where clothes hurt to wear, 2 clogged ducts, and a terrible case of mastitis (temp of 104!). I just remember crying when i started to give her a bottle. Like i failed her. but you know what...she is now 16 months old and is as healthy and happy as can be! She never gets sick and is not overweight and is INCREDIBLY smart (scary how smart she is!). I had to do what was best for my family. Instead of crying and being miserable and dreading every feeding, i started to enjoy the feedings i had with dd. she was finally getting a full belly (i could only ever pump 3 oz during the course of the entire day). DHs family are huge EBF supporters and i had a hard time dealing with them. my family is much more supportive either way. but in the end you do what's best for YOUR FAMILY. everyone is different. i don't judge either way. what's right for us isn't right for all-but it's right for US! Now #2 will be here in 2 weeks. i don't know if i'll bf or ff yet. either way i will do it with full confidence knowing it's what is best for my family. No judgements...only one can judge and HE is sending from above!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
jacquielcf
Registered Users
seller

It is so comforting to know I'm not the only one who went through this. I just wanted so badly to have control and thought if I tried hard enough, talked to enough LCs, bought another "thing" that somehow, it would work. We are now EFF with an occasional comfort nurse and life is much more manageable. I still have a broken heart in many ways, but I know this is better for my family, and I'm able to actually enjoy my baby (and toddler) which is so important for us all.
Big hugs to you. Thank you for posting. xo
jacquielcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
hollyecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just wanted to say, great job mamas! Be at peace and love those ff and bf babies with all you have.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #30
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

As I read through these posts with wistful tears I have made the decision (or I guess nature has made it for me) to EFF. I was doing well mostly FFing with pumping at work and nursing at home, but DD has lost a lot of interest in nursing, I have developed a very painful clogged duct and if I so much as look at my pump, I think I might throw it across the room. I gave it all I could and then some. One ounce of breastmilk is not worth my daughter sitting in a swing when I could be holding her rather than pumping. I love my baby, she loves me. My boobs and my mind are exhausted and I am ready to be a better mommy.