Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
lildutch1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumps covered under Obamacare

As for state law, check www.llli.org for the laws pertining to your state, unfortunately not all states protect us and not all the laws are clear. I have heard some pretty horrible stories of pumping conditions that were disgusting but allowable by law

With obama care I would check with your specific insurance provider but it would surprise me since the do not consider pumping medically necessary, which is a soap box I will stay off of.

Advertisement

lildutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
jaks
Registered Users
seller

The other think you could do is to cover the window in the door with construction paper and put a sign up like Jumping Bean said. I also pump in my room and I just put up a sign that says "do not disturb". Who knows what the kids think, but whatever!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My understanding is that The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) does require all NEW insurance policies to cover pumps after August 1, 2012. So what that means is that my insurance will cover it, but not until our policy renewal date after August 1, 2012. Mine happens to be May 1, 2013 (sucks since my kid is due in December and I have to return to work in February). So, it will be covered (I think for anyone, not just medically necessary), but not until you have your first "open enrollment period" and "renewal" for your policy after August 1.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
tamacha
Registered Users

My insurance reimburses up to $250. I just have to send in the receipt. However, they JUST created this policy yesterday even though Obamacare started 8/1 on pumps. This is so awesome though!! love it as I'm going to be working full-time and trying to continue feeding breast milk.
tamacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just had my first prenatal appt and they handed me a voucher for a free pump with info on Obamacare. Looks like a Medela Pump-In-Style Advanced from the picture. Last time, I got a pump but had to pay $44 copay with the same insurance.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamacha View Post
My insurance reimburses up to $250. I just have to send in the receipt. However, they JUST created this policy yesterday even though Obamacare started 8/1 on pumps. This is so awesome though!! love it as I'm going to be working full-time and trying to continue feeding breast milk.
Your policy renewal date must have been Oct. 1, that's why they started it then. None of the insurance policies have to follow Obamacare until their first renewal after Aug. 1, 2012. Mine isn't until May 2013

Basically it will take a full year after Aug. , 2012 for every insurance policy to get on board, since they all have a different annual renewal date.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggle

Your policy renewal date must have been Oct. 1, that's why they started it then. None of the insurance policies have to follow Obamacare until their first renewal after Aug. 1, 2012. Mine isn't until May 2013

Basically it will take a full year after Aug. , 2012 for every insurance policy to get on board, since they all have a different annual renewal date.
It must depend on how conscientious the insurance company is - our renewal was last May, and I still got the free pump voucher yesterday.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
It must depend on how conscientious the insurance company is - our renewal was last May, and I still got the free pump voucher yesterday.
Oh yeah, they can choose to do it earlier. They could have chosen to cover them for the last 10 years. It just wasn't required until the first renewal after Aug. 1, 2012. Lucky you!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

It does depend on the insurance company. I called mine following a posting by another mom on another board and was told that they would only cover the cost of a manual pump. Lame....plus, I already have 2. I needed an electric pump as the motor of my Medela died just one year after it was purchased. Sadly, the warranty expired and Medela don't do repairs on motors. I heard that others would cover a double electric pump in full to at least 50%.
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Kararific
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great info, thanks for sharing! I hadn't thought about checking my insurance with or without Obamacare.
Kararific is offline   Reply With Quote