Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone ferment??

S2 has multiple food allergies & I'm trying to find healing foods. Hubby is Korean; so of course I know about kimchi- but it's too ****y for LO! I've seen "nourishing" recipes for lacto fermented- but lacto usually means dairy in some form... This is why we haven't tried GAPS... Poor dude is allergic to fairy & eggs among many others. I want to try & heal his gut but idk where to start!

Advertisement

E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ferment??

We lacto-ferment but Culture's for Health has this that may work better for you. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/cal...egetables.html

Have you tried raw milk? Many people that are allergic to milk are not allergic to raw milk. Kind of scary when you think about it.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

i haven't done a whole lot of fermenting myself, although it's something I've wanted to get into for awhile. but, i've had this book on my wishlist for awhile:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

i've heard pretty awesome things about it. it's not lacto-fermenting for the most part, i don't' think. good luck!
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lacto fermented foods do not have diary, kimchi is lacto fermented. Lactobacillus gets it's name from the fact that it feeds on lactose but it also feeds on other sugars including the ones in vegetables and fruits. So, lacto fermenting usually has nothing more than vegetables, salt, water and some spices or herbs. I have not started making my own fermented foods yet, I'm still in the research stage but here are a few recipes to get you started: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/fermented-food-recipes/
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks For the links! I havent tried raw milk for him & don't plan to anytime soon. He gets hives if he is just kissed by someone who just had dairy... & after hours of him being sick because of 4 bites of food... No thanks! Havent even attempted goats milk because I want to avoid potential trauma.
E-2.1.14
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
We lacto-ferment but Culture's for Health has this that may work better for you. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/cal...egetables.html

Have you tried raw milk? Many people that are allergic to milk are not allergic to raw milk. Kind of scary when you think about it.

Good luck!
I looked
At Caldwell & unfortunately they use milk! :/
E-2.1.14
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama I have very similar issues with my DS. He just turned 1 and he is allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts & strawberries. I started giving him water kefir when he was 6 months old to help build his immune system. He used to poop every 3 days or so rocks and he was in pain doing so. After day 2 on the water kefir he poops every day, multiple times a day and it is a much better consistency. We have actually made the move to goat milk in the last month. He was not doing well on his formula. He never did well on his formula so I tried it and to my surprise he did great. I wish you luck Mama this is a tough road.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just remembered this water kimchi recipe, it is quick and easy and not too hot. You could also try mild regular kimchi, my 18 month old loves his kimchi I just swish it in a bit of water to remove some of the red pepper.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
S2 has multiple food allergies & I'm trying to find healing foods. Hubby is Korean; so of course I know about kimchi- but it's too ****y for LO! I've seen "nourishing" recipes for lacto fermented- but lacto usually means dairy in some form... This is why we haven't tried GAPS... Poor dude is allergic to fairy & eggs among many others. I want to try & heal his gut but idk where to start!
We are dealing with a GF, dairy free, corn free, etc diet - several issues here as well. We haven't done any fermenting yet, but we just ordered some culture the other day (impatiently waiting) to ferment veggies - I can update after it arrives. In the meantime, I'll be watching here.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
Lacto fermented foods do not have diary, kimchi is lacto fermented. Lactobacillus gets it's name from the fact that it feeds on lactose but it also feeds on other sugars including the ones in vegetables and fruits. So, lacto fermenting usually has nothing more than vegetables, salt, water and some spices or herbs. I have not started making my own fermented foods yet, I'm still in the research stage but here are a few recipes to get you started: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/fermented-food-recipes/
oh thanks for the description it's good to know. like i said, i haven't ventured very far into this. i guess when i see lacto-fermented, i usually think of the method of fermenting with using whey (from yogurt, kefir, clabbered milk, etc) since it's so heavily promoted by wapf. so that's technically what i meant. so i guess that book DOES do lacto-fermentation, but i think does more of what you're describing - water, salt, etc.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote