Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
aflyingbuttress's Avatar
aflyingbuttress
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 460
Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

So I'm trying my hand at making homemade greek yogurt and I am following a recipe given to me by another DS mama on a different thread I posted.

Per directions I heated milk to 180 degrees and cooled until 105 degrees before adding the yogurt. This process took forever. Perhaps because I have an old crockpot. I started at about 7:30 am and didn't get the yogurt in until around 3:00 pm.

First, is this normal or is it indeed slower because of my crockpot?

Second, since I didn't get the yogurt in until 3:00 and I have to give it at least 8 hours, the timing ends up being around 11:00 pm. I am usually in bed by that time. Can I take it out early? If not, can I leave it til morning (will it go bad)? Or should I just suck it up and take it out at 11:00?

Advertisement

aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Leah52's Avatar
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clifton Forge, VA
Posts: 6,653
Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

You can check it, it might be thick enough before then.
__________________
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,580
Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

Do you drip your yogurt, or is it all done in the crock? Just curious - I've never made a thick, Greek yogurt w/o dripping.
__________________
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
aflyingbuttress's Avatar
aflyingbuttress
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMamma
Do you drip your yogurt, or is it all done in the crock? Just curious - I've never made a thick, Greek yogurt w/o dripping.
Not sure what you mean by dripping. This is my first time making it so I am a novice. I warmed, then cooled the milk in the crock pot. Then I took out a cup of milk and whisked in 1/4 cup of yogurt, then added that back into the crock pot and whisked it all. I placed the crock pot, wrapped in a towel, in my oven and left it like that.

I did just check on it. It's been 7 hours and it was nice and thick. I put it in the fridge for the night in the crock pot. Tomorrow I will strain it using a cheesecloth.
aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 647
My Mood:
Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

I don't make my yogurt, but I do buy plain yogurt and strain off the whey to make thick greek yogurt since it's cheaper than store bought greek yogurt. I have to imagine that even if your yogurt isn't greek yogurt consistency but is yogurt consistency that you could pull it early and strain it tomorrow using cheesecloth, a colander, and something heavy (like a plate with a jar on top).
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
MaBacon's Avatar
MaBacon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central MN
Posts: 1,336
Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

I don't do the crock pot method (too many people say it turns out runny) I have a way to make it on the stove and let it sit in warm cooler (you can find it on my blog in my siggy if you want) it's pretty easy process. But to get greek yogurt you need to strain it no matter how you make it. So either hang in in cheesecloth or I usually just put a coffee filter in a strainer and take out what I want at the the time, let it strain for up to 30 min until I get it as thick as I want it for greek yogurt. The kids prefer it reg instead of as thick so this way everyone's happy. hope that helps!
__________________
Jen, Wife & SAHM to 4 miracle preemies Avery, Calla, Elliott & Oliver. Forever missing Abigail born too soon with trisomy 18 & our other 16 angels.
Follow my money saving-recipe blog!
MaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
aflyingbuttress's Avatar
aflyingbuttress
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 460
Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLeeCW View Post
I don't make my yogurt, but I do buy plain yogurt and strain off the whey to make thick greek yogurt since it's cheaper than store bought greek yogurt. I have to imagine that even if your yogurt isn't greek yogurt consistency but is yogurt consistency that you could pull it early and strain it tomorrow using cheesecloth, a colander, and something heavy (like a plate with a jar on top).
This is interesting. I never realized that was the only difference between regular yogurt and greek yogurt. I am going to pass that on to my brother and his girlfriend who eat greek yogurt daily and are also on a pretty tight budget. That's a great tip, thank you!
aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
aflyingbuttress's Avatar
aflyingbuttress
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 460
Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBacon View Post
I don't do the crock pot method (too many people say it turns out runny) I have a way to make it on the stove and let it sit in warm cooler (you can find it on my blog in my siggy if you want) it's pretty easy process. But to get greek yogurt you need to strain it no matter how you make it. So either hang in in cheesecloth or I usually just put a coffee filter in a strainer and take out what I want at the the time, let it strain for up to 30 min until I get it as thick as I want it for greek yogurt. The kids prefer it reg instead of as thick so this way everyone's happy. hope that helps!
That does help. I think I am going to try the stove top method next time. However, mine is straining right now and it did come out pretty thick. As for it being runny, I am not sure yet. Isn't that part of what the straining process helps?
aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
cbusbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 98
My Mood:
Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflyingbuttress View Post
So I'm trying my hand at making homemade greek yogurt and I am following a recipe given to me by another DS mama on a different thread I posted.

Per directions I heated milk to 180 degrees and cooled until 105 degrees before adding the yogurt. This process took forever. Perhaps because I have an old crockpot. I started at about 7:30 am and didn't get the yogurt in until around 3:00 pm.

First, is this normal or is it indeed slower because of my crockpot?

Second, since I didn't get the yogurt in until 3:00 and I have to give it at least 8 hours, the timing ends up being around 11:00 pm. I am usually in bed by that time. Can I take it out early? If not, can I leave it til morning (will it go bad)? Or should I just suck it up and take it out at 11:00?
are you heating it up on the high setting? that usually heats mine up in about 2 hours. then to get it cool i unplug it, put the lid half on, and stir every once in a while. that takes about two hours too. you can leave it out overnight.
__________________
K, married to wonderful husband J since 12/11, g born 9/25/12.. due with #2 sometime in early 9/14
cbusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Fashionably Green Baby's Avatar
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,208
My Mood:
Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

I do mine on low and it does take a while. I always start it around 3pm and it is usually like 9ish or so when it is ready to go to the oven for the night. I have a system down now so I can get it in there and then go to bed and I put it in the fridge in the morning. You can probably just put the crockpot on high and make it go faster though. Mabacon's recipe gets lots of good reviews, I just stick to the crockpot because I have never had a bad batch and I don't have a cooler which her directions call for.

Glad to see you are giving it a try!
__________________
Britney
Mom of 4 little munchkins

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.