Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
aflyingbuttress
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Question: Homemade greek yogurt timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusbaby View Post
are you heating it up on the high setting? that usually heats mine up in about 2 hours. then to get it cool i unplug it, put the lid half on, and stir every once in a while. that takes about two hours too. you can leave it out overnight.
My crock pot doesn't have a high setting, just on, off and length of time. I put it on the shortest length of time, which was 4 hours. I wonder, can I heat it on the stove then pour into the crock pot to cool and continue the rest of the way in the crock pot?

Advertisement

aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
aflyingbuttress
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I do mine on low and it does take a while. I always start it around 3pm and it is usually like 9ish or so when it is ready to go to the oven for the night. I have a system down now so I can get it in there and then go to bed and I put it in the fridge in the morning. You can probably just put the crockpot on high and make it go faster though. Mabacon's recipe gets lots of good reviews, I just stick to the crockpot because I have never had a bad batch and I don't have a cooler which her directions call for.

Glad to see you are giving it a try!
That's a good idea. I'd never done it before so I was unclear on how long the process would take. Next time I will know better. I also don't have a cooler but they aren't so expensive that I couldn't invest in one if this becomes a regular activity.

I'm glad I gave it a try too. We really need to start pinching the penny's so anything to save money. Plus I love to cook and doing these things has been tons of fun for me. I'm super excited about this. It's a huge amount of yogurt for a fraction of the cost.
aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflyingbuttress View Post
That's a good idea. I'd never done it before so I was unclear on how long the process would take. Next time I will know better. I also don't have a cooler but they aren't so expensive that I couldn't invest in one if this becomes a regular activity.

I'm glad I gave it a try too. We really need to start pinching the penny's so anything to save money. Plus I love to cook and doing these things has been tons of fun for me. I'm super excited about this. It's a huge amount of yogurt for a fraction of the cost.
Yeah, the first time I made it I was up until like 2 in the morning and NOT a happy camper. The directions I followed gave general time frames but mine took WAY longer so things didn't turn out as planned. Now I have a system down and I just start at 3. I am doing a batch today in fact I don't have a good place to store a cooler here as we already have 5 people in our 2 bedroom apartment and we don't have a balcony or patio or anything. I already have a grill in my living room so don't need to add anything if it isn't an absolute necessity, hence why I stuck with the crockpot

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
cbusbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My crock pot doesn't have a high setting, just on, off and length of time. I put it on the shortest length of time, which was 4 hours. I wonder, can I heat it on the stove then pour into the crock pot to cool and continue the rest of the way in the crock pot?
Yeah I hear some people do that and it would make it go a lot faster
K, married to wonderful husband J since 12/11, g born 9/25/12.. due with #2 sometime in early 9/14
cbusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I tried so many crockpot methods and was never happy with the results. Now I use Mabacons recipe and LOVE it!!! It only takes about 20 minutes then wait for 6 hours with no constant checking. I normally start mine at lunch while my kids are busy it ready to put in the fridge by dinner.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by dripping. This is my first time making it so I am a novice. I warmed, then cooled the milk in the crock pot. Then I took out a cup of milk and whisked in 1/4 cup of yogurt, then added that back into the crock pot and whisked it all. I placed the crock pot, wrapped in a towel, in my oven and left it like that.

I did just check on it. It's been 7 hours and it was nice and thick. I put it in the fridge for the night in the crock pot. Tomorrow I will strain it using a cheesecloth.
Basically I meant that lol I just wasn't sure if it got nice & thick on its own in the crock, or if you strained it.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller

My Mood:

I use a half crockpot recipe... Did lots of reading and started making cheese so I was on ricki carrol's site a lot. She says you want to cool quickly so I didn't like the 100% crockpot way but I don't to buy a yogotherm or mess with the ice chest method.

I heat to 180-185 in a pot on the stove, hold it there for 10 min. While waiting for the milk to come to temp fill crockpot with an inch or so of water and set to keep warm setting. Once milk is heated and held I put the pot in the sink in an ice water bath, stirring often to chill milk faster and adding more ice frequently. (be sure to drain so you float your pot lol, done that!) once crock pot is warm turn it off and drain ( you want to culture round 100-105 degrees) once milk is 125 degrees watch it closely cuz it comes down fast. At 115-108 add the culture (whisk) then transfer to the warmed crockpot and hold. I put the lid and double wrap with 2 fleece blankets. Culture for 3-10 hrs depending on your culture, for using store bought Dannon as my starter I did 9 hrs. Sounds long but I find it the best of both worlds. Google ricki she has great info on everything milk and culture

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote