Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home Birth?

1. Your MW will have paperwork that she signs and that you'll fill out with the details of the birth and then you mail it in. With ours we got the SS too with just filling in a sheet, or you can go to the SS building and fill one out.

2. Most don't, but some do, so you just call yours and see

3. My MW does my postnatal care

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not call 2 hours fairly close when you are in labor. lol
Old 08-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Everyone pretty much answered your questions. I do know that Alabama is a hard state to do a homebirth so getting it covered by your insurance could be tricky. Our midwife fees are $4500, I wanted to tell you because it seems like others are quoting much less. Fees vary from state to state so it is something to keep in mind. Our midwife lets us make payments over 12 months instead of 9. I have Anthem Blue Cross of CA and they will reimburse 70% after the deductable (which we already met this year). I hope this helps, I would not give up on a homebirth, it is worth every penny.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how you get the SS card and BC will vary by state. since i had an unassisted birth i had to call the capital and request a bc application and pay te $15 fee. they sent it to me, i filled it out and had 2 friends get it notarized with me. my bc arrived in the mail along with SS card, i did not have to apply for a SS card, the vital statistics office did it for me

you would have to contact your ins to find out if they cover home births and midwife care. even if you have to pay out of pocket sometimes it's affordable, i think a laywife here will run you about $1500-2k. you can probably go on finding your tribe on mothering.com and asking someone in your area who they used for a midwife
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 08-28-2012 at 09:25 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
Many moms in your situation go to "The Farm". http://www.thefarmmidwives.org/

Ever heard of Ina May? She started the Farm. I'm not sure if it is too far ...It's about a 2 hour drive from you.
If you are close to the farm you should definitely look into it! What an amazing opportunity!
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
NappyKnitter
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for all the advice! My insurance does say it covers 80% of home care, but it does not specify what kind of home care. The farm looks amazing, but I think it is too far for my husband and I to travel if I was in labor. I'd like a midwife that would come to me. It defeats the purpose of a 'home'birth. I can't wait to look around, and get things started.
NappyKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Maybe you could look for a birth center? As other stated, I am pretty sure homebirths are hard to come by in Alabama b/c of politics. I would deliver at the farm if I could!!!

Our HBs were between $3-4K each.

We got our birth cert/SS cards by filing out the forms our MW provided and then mailing them in with the proper payment.

Our *current* ins is only for catastrophic coverage and will not cover any of our HB. In fact, even if we delivered in a hospital, we would pay the first $3K and then 20% of the remaining bill. Ugh. It's a lose-lose for us, financially. For one of our births, we had medicaid and it covered the whole thing. For the other HB, we had BCBS of FL and it covered a percentage, but I don't remember how much.

For prenatals, it really depends on the MW you have. For instance, I have had my homebirths at my parent's home b/c that is where I grew up, they live in the country, I am comfortable there, and someday I want to be able to take my kids there and say "you were born here on this property." My MW lives in my parent's city. So I sometimes do prenatal visits there at my parent's home, or I meet my MW at her home, or if she is in the area, she comes to my house. It just depends on your situation.

Best wishes! After having one hospital birth and 2 HB's I would NEVER deliver at a hospital again unless I had no other way around it. There is just nothing like having your baby in a familiar place, with familiar people, and familiar things. I also feel like I receive amazing care from my MW.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
NappyKnitter
Registered Users
seller

I actually researched and there are no laws stating it is illegal to homebirth. It is just apparently hard to get certified. I found a midwife who lives only 3 minutes away! It is called alternative birth center. I might have to birth there, but is close anyway! Wish me luck, i'm going to meet her today
NappyKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #19
cedmondsoncpst
Registered Users

It's not illegal to birth at home in Alabama.. the state just does not license midwives and does not allow midwives to practice outside of hospital CNMs.
Mothering.com has the info and number to call in order to obtain the BC and SSC. There are underground practicing midwives all over.. Mothering.com also has tidbits of info on them. I usually ask my local friends or friends of friends and local doulas for some info.

I'm sure you might have already birthed but I wanted to put this info out there for anyone else reading.
cedmondsoncpst is offline   Reply With Quote