Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: AUGUST 2011 September Chat

YEAH BRITT!! I feel the same way!!!! And I'll play

What do you do if you WOTH or did you do before becoming a SAHM?

I use to be a teacher and a basketball coach. I alos lifeguarded on the beach in the summers--I would do that ALL the time if I could. Oh but I am really scared of sharks lol a little irrational.

How long have you been married?

We have been married for 5 yrs--we got together got married and started popping out kids!

If you could live anywhere and be anything, what??

Dh is talking about Austin, TX. I am excited about it. I do hate heat and bugs--Austin has both. I Honestly would love to live in Brooklyn. I am thinking with 4 kiddos would be a bit of a challenge.

Be anything--I like what I am doing now. Except I would love to do more volunteer stuff. Like dog rescue ( we have 3 we rescued) but an actual organization or horse rescue. We may do this in the future once the babes get a little older and I feel more settled.

Do you practice a religion?

We do not practice religion. I was born and raised catholic. We now live in the bible belt or the Black Belt they call it. It is EXTREMELY religious down here. It is in all the schools and the first thing that comes up in conversation. In our small town there are over 600 churches. So I guess you can say we get second hand religion we just do not go to church atm. We have to be careful with our church picking. I know it sounds crazy but when you pick a church down here you pick a poltical stance. Once you pick a political stance you obtain enemies. We have avioded making enemies thus far.

Advertisement

Last edited by dagmomma; 09-04-2012 at 06:52 AM.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
estradaamyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Awesome idea. Love it!

I'm going to ignore my cashier job at Walmart and tell you about the job I had before I moved to get my degree.
I worked for the Forest Service teaching environmental education to field trip kids. When school was out I did trail maintenance, cleaned campgrounds, wrote parking tickets, worked the Off Highway Vehicle area, manned the Visitor Center & Store and patrolled as a Forest Protection Officer.

7 years. We've been together 15 years this month.

I would move those beautiful mountains I worked in So Cal to Nor Cal just in from the Coast. That way I could have my old job and raise my kids in the Redwoods. I can dream.

Or I could travel in a trailer all over the US. Whenever we stop a dozen or so Barefooted tiedye wearing kids would pile out.

Do you practice a religion?

Practice is a perfect word for it. I'm Christian. We have a wonderful church that we adore. I'm learning everyday just how lucky and watched over we are.
Here's a little story for you. I was talking to a bunch of playgroup Mamas and they were asking why I didn't choose a charter school for Izzy for K. I blew off one because the neighbor said it was awful. So then it gig me thinking And I checked it out. And it looks perfect. Glowing reviews. Classes M-Th. Art, music and science. Field trips! No tuition. And I felt like I failed Izzy. I didn't even consider it. I went to sleep Sat in anguish. Sunday I woke up and went to church. As I was waiting in line for the restroom I ran right into Izzy's Kindergarten teacher! Not only does she go to our church, but her 2 daughters serve in the children's ministry. One in Juniper's class. And the other in Caspian's. The whole family has us covered. God was definitely looking over us.
estradaamyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I just had a long reply and it went poof.

Alison, you were a BEACH lifeguard and your afraid of sharks??! wow that's awesome. Where did you work? I'm terrified of sharks and won't go in past my things and don't like the kids to either. But our beach was San Onofre and it's filled with Whites. It's too bad the church's are all political. I've never understood why church's that all claim to follow the same God and Bible are this was. We are called to love, not judge.

Amy...I just love your hippie heart!! Your job sounds perfect for you! It's great that you an Ray have such a long history. My parents are about to celebrate 30 years. About the church/teacher thing... So many times I have felt like the good decisions in my life were a result of things I have done or chosen. Then I realize that it's been God all along. He is so amazing.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
I just had a long reply and it went poof.

Alison, you were a BEACH lifeguard and your afraid of sharks??! wow that's awesome. Where did you work? I'm terrified of sharks and won't go in past my things and don't like the kids to either. But our beach was San Onofre and it's filled with Whites. It's too bad the church's are all political. I've never understood why church's that all claim to follow the same God and Bible are this was. We are called to love, not judge.
It was on the Jersey Shore. As far as sharks I tried not to think about it to much. Especially when we went on our swims in the am. I kept thinking oh sharks are dusk eaters or whatever. I tried to justify that when I was on a paddle board or kayak I was safe, until BIL decided to show me flying sharks on the internet. I was like umm thanks for that!!!! They did a decent job tracking them down so we would get notices if great whites were in the area. It did not help that the worst shark attack in history took place on the beach I worked--but it was in the 1880s-or early 1900s. It was a shark that started its feeding frenzy in Cape May and worked its way up to Central Jersey eating along the way. Its last attack took place in a river--it got caught in a gulf stream they think. But honestly, swimming in the ocean or paddle boarding is the most peaceful feeling in the world. I got paid to get tan, have beach blonde hair and workout. I was in such amazing shape!!! We had workouts 2-3 times a day.

As for the churches I think we narrowed one down. It is the one that is associated with the boys preschool. We got the least amount of pressure from them and I feel like the people that are there are ones that I seem to connect most with in the area. It is the most diverse of the churches and has the most people who moved here and are not originally from here. It is an Episcople Church which in some ways it is similar to Catholic but obviously not in others. I need to do more research on the religion though before I make a decision. I know I have been procrastinating.

Last edited by dagmomma; 09-04-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt
Mmmmmm pumpkin!!!!!!!

We've been talking for 18 months now and I feel like I know all you mamas and your families. Your kinda my friends kwim? Dh even kinda 'knows' you guys because I talk about your accomplishments and successes and pray for your struggles or for your kids when they're sick.

I want to have another 'Get to Know You' time. Answer if you want to, ignore me if this is dumb.

Here's some things I don't think we've shared...

Do you practice a religion
Before having ds1 and becoming a SAHM, I worked at the same university dh attended for medical school as a research, lab technician in an immunobiology lab. We researched mainly treatments for MS. while not my ideal use for my bachelor degree in biology, I really enjoyed my lab mates and learneda lot. My fave job was during college doing grounds crew on campus .

Dh and I celebrated 9 years of marriage in june

I would pick to live on the beach somewhere, its my super happy place. Any beach would be great, but the north shore of oahu tops it for me. I love being a SAHM, but I in another life I would love to do landscape design/management.

Faith/religion, I'll be back, gotta go shower, bathroom at the inlaws is free
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What a great idea...I'll play! I know I was the most chatty person in the group when we were pregnant...I mostly read. It takes me a while to jump in sometimes. Anyway...

What do you do if you WOTH or did you do before becoming a SAHM? I was a 3rd and 4th grade teacher for 7 years before becoming a sahm. I was also going to school to get my Master's degree. After I had dd1 it just wasn't a passion for me anymore. I may return someday, maybe not. I love my "job" now.

How long have you been married? 9 years this October...we have been together almost 10. We were engaged just weeks after meeting...crazy I know. We got married on the day we met, exactly one year later. I just knew dh was the right person for me from the moment we met.

If you could live anywhere and be anything, what?? I would LOVE to live anywhere besides Florida. I hate this heat...mostly the humidity is what kills me. I've lived in Boston...loved it there although it was a little too cold for me at times. I just loved the culture and history of New England. I miss the fall so much. I guess a compromise would be North Carolina...still have beaches and warm summers, but also a cold winter.

I've often thought about going back to school to be a nurse...I just know that right now in my life with small children it really isn't a possibility.

Do you practice a religion? I am Christian. We go to a church close by that is affiliated with dd3's preschool. It is small and informal, but I really feel like I belong and like the people who go there as well.
Amy, I love your story. It is so awesome when you feel those affirmations from God that he has a plan for all of us.

Totally off topic, but for those of you who do Halloween, have you thought of costume ideas yet? Brynn has a pair of super cute pink cowgirl boots, so I thinking cowgirl. I'm not sure though. I'm too scared to ask the older girls what they want to be...there is no telling what it will be!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Opps, dp.

Last edited by katengrace; 09-04-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: dp
katengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #18
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Carrie-I miss fall too!!! I would definately love to live in NC esp near the OBX. I feel the same about Boston too. It is my favorite city. Dh is not such a fan. It would be hard to be Yankee and Giant fans moving to Boston.

As for Halloween. Not sure but my mother got Peyton a Cinderella dress for when we go to Disney so she may just be that. I am horrible at Halloween. We get no trick or treators in our Neighborhood at all. They do a parade at like 3 around the down town but that is it.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Alison, when are you going to Disney? We're going the first week if Feb. It will be dd3 and dd4's first time. I am so excited to go!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #20
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Carrie--We are going the second week of December. It will be the kiddos first time too. I have not been there since I was in the 5th grade. We even got tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, SQUEEEL! I am a little excited lol!