Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone have a successful pregnancy while on Mirena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycass View Post
I don't have personal experience with pregnancy while on mirena but I had the mirena and took it out myself. It's very soft and flexible(as shown in ads). What are the risks of it staying in?
Really? Apparently they need to "open up your cervix" to take it out. I said that too, you can't just reach up in there and grab it lol.

Here's from the Mirena website.

"If pregnancy should occur with Mirena in place, Mirena should be removed. Removal or manipulation of Mirena may result in pregnancy loss. In the event of an intrauterine pregnancy with Mirena, consider the following:
Septic abortion

In patients becoming pregnant with an IUD in place, septic abortion—with septicemia, septic shock, and death—may occur.
Continuation of pregnancy

If a woman becomes pregnant with Mirena in place and if Mirena cannot be removed or the woman chooses not to have it removed, she should be warned that failure to remove Mirena increases the risk of miscarriage, sepsis, premature labor and premature delivery. She should be followed closely and advised to report immediately any flu-like symptoms, fever, chills, cramping, pain, bleeding, vaginal discharge or leakage of fluid.
Long-term effects and congenital anomalies

When pregnancy continues with Mirena in place, long-term effects on the offspring are unknown. As of September 2006, 390 live births out of an estimated 9.9 million Mirena users had been reported. Congenital anomalies in live births have occurred infrequently. No clear trend towards specific anomalies has been observed. Because of the intrauterine administration of levonorgestrel and local exposure of the fetus to the hormone, the possibility of teratogenicity following exposure to Mirena cannot be completely excluded. Some observational data support a small increased risk of masculinization of the external genitalia of the female fetus following exposure to progestins at doses greater than those currently used for oral contraception. Whether these data apply to Mirena is unknown."

It's pretty scary stuff. I would never go on this form of BC personally.

Advertisement

mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspnut82 View Post
Really? Apparently they need to "open up your cervix" to take it out. I said that too, you can't just reach up in there and grab it lol.

Here's from the Mirena website.

"If pregnancy should occur with Mirena in place, Mirena should be removed. Removal or manipulation of Mirena may result in pregnancy loss. In the event of an intrauterine pregnancy with Mirena, consider the following:
Septic abortion

In patients becoming pregnant with an IUD in place, septic abortion—with septicemia, septic shock, and death—may occur.
Continuation of pregnancy

If a woman becomes pregnant with Mirena in place and if Mirena cannot be removed or the woman chooses not to have it removed, she should be warned that failure to remove Mirena increases the risk of miscarriage, sepsis, premature labor and premature delivery. She should be followed closely and advised to report immediately any flu-like symptoms, fever, chills, cramping, pain, bleeding, vaginal discharge or leakage of fluid.
Long-term effects and congenital anomalies

When pregnancy continues with Mirena in place, long-term effects on the offspring are unknown. As of September 2006, 390 live births out of an estimated 9.9 million Mirena users had been reported. Congenital anomalies in live births have occurred infrequently. No clear trend towards specific anomalies has been observed. Because of the intrauterine administration of levonorgestrel and local exposure of the fetus to the hormone, the possibility of teratogenicity following exposure to Mirena cannot be completely excluded. Some observational data support a small increased risk of masculinization of the external genitalia of the female fetus following exposure to progestins at doses greater than those currently used for oral contraception. Whether these data apply to Mirena is unknown."

It's pretty scary stuff. I would never go on this form of BC personally.
From all my research before I removed mine; the Drs just use the speculum(sp?), pull it out with clamp like instrument, and prescribe pain meds for possible cramping. I watched a video on YouTube of Med students learning with a dummy. You could see how it just folds up as its pulled out. I sat on the toilet and it didn't hurt. I could feel it but no pain.
I'm sure her uterus is getting crowded already but I wonder if the outcome is better the earlier you take it out? And I don't want to sound heartless(I had a miscarriage before my current pregnancy), and there's always a possibility to MC all babies but if its a 50% chance after removal the odds are in her favor for at least a twin or singleton pregnancy
That's such a crappy situation to be in. The Drs should be able to see the Mirena and babies locations to give a better detailed outcome.
Keep us updated, I'll be praying for your DN!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and the mirena has 2 fishing line type strings hanging from it that your supposed to check for routinely and that's how its pulled out.
Also, FWIW: The possibilities of negative outcomes from leaving it in are probably pretty low.

Last edited by mommycass; 09-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a friend that had a mirena baby! He is a healthy almost 2 year old now! They were not able to take it out either, but they closely monitered the whole pregnancy, and it went very well, and she went all the way to term.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Serious jaw drop here!! FOUR?!? Wow. Congrats to her!!!!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
ButtRpies
Registered Users
Formerly: rjwinner
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. I use Mirena and have wondered at times if I became pg when I'd "know" it since I don't get a regular cycle/etc???!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtRpies View Post
Wow. I use Mirena and have wondered at times if I became pg when I'd "know" it since I don't get a regular cycle/etc???!!!
Well from what I'm understanding it only prevents implantation (also supposed to prevent the sperm from getting close but that doesn't always work either) so they could still meet but just not implant. Another big risk is an ectopic pregnancy, apparently that's common complication.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh and DN is getting it taken out on Monday so we just have to pray/hope for the best after that. :/
Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So she actually released 4 eggs. Or a couple and the split? Where they able to tell?
Praying for the best on Monday!

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
finleyjudemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What does DN stand for?