Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Moms who had big babies?

Are there any momma's out there who had big babies?

I know this is going to sound petty and silly to complain about this, because at the end of the day I am going to have a healthy child, but I just need to vent. I'm really upset right now, so please hear me out (no flames).

I've tried really hard throughout this pregnancy to exercise, I was running fairly regularly up until I was 8 months. Now granted, I have not dieted but I've only gained about 20 lbs. I passed my glucose test with flying colors! Baby has measured ahead of schedule by almost a week the whole time and the doctor kept telling me he was going to come early.

Well I'm almost at 40 weeks and I had an ultrasound today to measure everything. The baby is measuring about 11 lbs I burst into tears when I heard that. First off, that means I may not be able to deliver vaginally (which i will try no matter what). Second, that means that every single blasted person who meets my baby or hears about my baby will talk about how gigantic, big, huge, fat he is and that breaks my heart. I don't want that to be the first thing out of their mouth. and Third it means none of the clothes we have all washed and ready or the newborn diapers we have will fit him.

It just makes me feel like I did something wrong and I hate that. I hate that people will assume that because I'm overweight I "made" him big. I hate that all people are going to focus on is how big he is and I hate that he's not going to be this tiny newborn baby that I can snuggle, but he's going to be the size of a 3 month old. I guess I just had in my head that my first baby was going to be this adorable tiny little thing and now I feel like he is going to be all grown up by the time i get him.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

My kids were 7 8, 8 9, 9 10, in that order. My 9.5 pound baby was very calm and content. I always think barring GD bigger babies are happy. And I am due today with #4 so we'll see... but anyone who says an 11 pound baby is fat can shove it imo.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Re: Moms who had big babies?

First,

Second, U/Ss are notoriously off, don't be too worried about it.

Third, big, healthy babies are a blessing! Tiny babies are precious and sweet and darling, too. But I like my babies sturdy Itsy tiny babies make me nervous, they just feel so delicate.

Your baby is going to be adorable, beautiful, snuggly and wonderful however much he weighs.
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hugs mama! No personal advice, but please remember that ultrasounds are notoriously bad at estimated weight- I've seen them be off by more than 2 pounds when done that late in pregnancy! So while your little one may be bigger than average he might not be giant. You are doing a great job growing a human being
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to start by saying those ultrasound machines are never accurate- they can be plus or minus 2 lbs and it is just a guess- the only one who knows how big your baby will be is your baby and he is leaving that for a surprise. My first was 9lbs 5 oz and 21.5 inches long and my second was 10lbs 9 oz and 21.5 in long and when I am not pregnant I am 5'3" and 125lbs. I am very petite and I had a natural, med-free, intervention free vaginal birth with my 10 pounder and he came on his own time at 41wks and 4 days. And you know what? My ob said my first was going to be 7-8 lbs and even with an average baby I would have a hard time birthing vaginally- but I sure showed them!And both of mine still felt incredibly small and fragile and wanted to cuddle with me.Just because they came home in 6 month size clothes did not make them any less of an adorable newborn.

And your baby will still want to snuggle with you .How could he not? You are his mama, the one person he has depended on for the past 40+weeks, and he will love everything about you- the sound of your voice, your heartbeat when he rests his head on your chest, even your smell- all of it will make him feel safe and secure.

And no one ever made any comment about how big my babies were except when they first hear how big they were and look at how small I am. They wonder how a baby that size fit in there lol. When people ask me that I just tell them the women in my family have big babies which is the truth and that is that.

Please don't let what others say take away the joy of your baby.He is special- no matter what his size is- and you are special for bringing him into this world.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like you kicked butt this pregnancy!! Running until 8 months?? You go girl! Good weight gain control, too! You did everything you could!

The U/S could be wrong on size. I don't think they are accurate this late in pregnancy.

My babies both measured several weeks ahead. One was 9lb12oz, one was 8lb11oz. (no GD). I was actually proud of how big they were and never felt insulted when someone commented on their size. Honestly, it was awkward holding yds because ods was pound bigger and had good head control when he was born! Even though they were bigger I didn't go into labor early. Even went to 42 weeks with yds (induced with both). I have also seen some mamas say their bigger babies were easier to birth naturally (Like gravity helped more?). I don't have experience with that, myself, but find it interesting.

Hope some of that brought you comfort. Please don't worry.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
flufflovinmama
Registered Users

My second son was 9.1. I prayed the whole pregnancy that I would not have a 9lb baby, and yet there he was. I'm not overweight and did not have GD. It was just genetics I guess. FWIW he still seemed tiny as a newborn, and I squeezed him into newborn clothes as long as I could. Lol
flufflovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I had two of those
They both measured 4 weeks ahead from 30 weeks on. I didn't gain much at all, 20 with one, 18 with the other. It's nothing you have or haven't done. Mine were vaginal births, successful inductions (the first was medically necessary, the second was a not well thought out decision that ended well). My second birth was fabulous and I was without pain downthere very quickly. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't, because you CAN do this!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Also, my 10lb 7oz babies were absolutely cuddly and precious, and even the most judgmental people I know said nothing bad about them.

A bonus, at least in our case, was they had amazing head control from birth. Could be because they didn't really have necks... ;-)
Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds was 9lb7oz 3 weeks early. They predicted him to be 12 lbs if he had gone to 40weeks. I was a VBAC and they actually told me if I didn't go into labor that week they'd schedule me for a cscection - i went into labor the next day. I got asked a lot if I was just off on my due date but I wasn't - I had a 5 week u/s due to some bleeding. There were little things dh and I noticed that told us he came earlier than my girls did as well.

I never had GD. I actually gained more weight with my girls than I did with him. He was measuring 2 weeks ahead by 19 weeks so he just grew fast. He fit his newborn clothes for 1 week (and there was no room to grow, I just wanted to get some use out of that itty bitty stuff).

With ds no one really thought he was so big until they held him. He never was chubby, roly-poly. He was just solid. People often would almost drop him because he weighed more than he looked like he did. They always ignored me when I said he was heavy so be careful and then struggled to not drop him - I quick learned to keep my hands right there until people had a good hold on him.

Honestly people are going to find something to exclaim about no matter the baby. Dd1 had a ton of hair and we were always asked if she was born with all that hair (it was 2 inches long when she was born - I always found it to be a dumb question). Dd2 we got a lot of chubby baby comments (she had rolls). Ds we just got 'wow, he's solid isn't he?'. But if they didn't hold him they rarely exclaimed about his weight.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote