Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms who had big babies?

Oh and ds was my snuggly baby. He loved to cuddle - still does at almost 3. His being a big boy didn't make me want to cuddle him any less.

Advertisement

Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Aww. First off, I hope the U/S was off a couple pounds and you get an easy, uncomplicated vaginal birth.

On the other hand, both my babies were big - between 9 and 10 pounds - and they were just the sweetest, squishiest things! All I ever heard from other people were huge compliments on them. Also, remember that even a 10 or 11 pound newborn still looks small to 99% of people.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS second baby was 11lb 1/2oz. I had an ultrasound 2 days before and they said 8lbs Ultra sound for size at that advanced is a joke. I honestly don't know why they bother. I have had lots of comments but DS is 9yo and thinks he is famous. He would be furious if I had another baby as big as him. My last baby was 9lb 10oz. She did wear newborn diapers but we never buy newborn clothes. I always buy 0-3. Try not to panic. I had both of my big babies in uncomplicated, unmedicated, precipitus vaginal deliveries. It will be ok and I promise even though he might not come out a peanut he will still be teeny and squishy
Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First and most importantly, be proud you have grown such a healthy baby! My son was 8lbs 8oz. I am proud of that! I would be even prouder if he had been 10lbs. I couldn't handle a tiny fragile baby. I want my babies to be big and healthy. A 6-pounder would seriously scare me.

Now breath.

Ultrasounds aren't exact. They are estimates. The day before I had my DS, an ultrasound estimated him at 9lbs 6oz. As I stated above, he came out at 8lbs 8oz. I recently posted about a lady I know that was measuring way ahead. An ultrasound estimated her baby at 9lbs 10oz. It came out 10 days later at 8lbs 14oz. They officially say that ultrasounds can be off as much as 2lbs, either way. In my experience though, they seem to ALWAYS overestimate by a pound or more.

Most women can handle vaginally birthing a 10-11lb baby with no problems. Seriously. Stop worrying about that. It's very rare that a woman's body will grow a baby that is too large for her to deliver. When it does happen, it is almost always because some type of diabetes was involved. If you aren't type 1 or type 2, and you passed your GD test with flying colors, this isn't something you should worry about.

Even a 10lb baby will wear newborn-sized clothing at birth. My DS was 10lbs at his 2 week check-up. He was still wearing newborn size. A 10lb baby is still very small - no where near the size of a 3 month old. You will still be cuddling a tiny baby!

You didn't do anything wrong, mama. You grew a very healthy baby. I would bet good money that he comes out smaller than the ultrasound estimate. He will be adorable and amazing. You will be absolutely smitten. Congratulations, mama. The most amazing event of your entire life is just days away. Enjoy your healthy boy!

Last edited by ashley84; 09-06-2012 at 04:32 PM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
3girls1mom
Registered Users

I've had two 9.5 lb babies and one 7.5 lb'er. I'm currently pregnant with #4 and have been secretly wishing she's on the small side. I totally know where you are coming from, the comments are annoying and I'm an overweight person so it bothers me for that reason too. I don't have anything to add but I get it- and I'll pray that u/s was off by a couple pounds!
3girls1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dd2 was 10lbs6oz-total surprise! Yes she came out the size of a 3month old but she was the happiest baby I had ever been around! Ppl commented on her size(just as they did my 8lb6oz dd1 who quickly fell below the charts into a teeny little thing) and while some were rude(b/c some folks are just aholes) but most werr 'look at those checks. i wanna kiss em!' 'you most be feeding her well!' 'baby rolls!!' All said with a smile and most ppl had a very hard time keeping their hands off her And as for snuggling....I typed this message-on my phone-relaxing in my recliner with my once 10lber squeezed in beside my 6mos pg butt lol. 5yrs later she is still a cuddle bug!

Eta-u/s can be up to 20% off so try not to stress to much about labor

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 09-06-2012 at 04:39 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

The ultrasound put him at 10 lbs and he was 7lbs 9 ounces. Don't worry! Even if he is bigger than you have been picturing him, he will be the most adorable, fragile, cuddly thing you've ever seen.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
alwaysfallingup
Registered Users
seller

My first DD was 9 lbs even. DD2 weighed 9 lbs 12 oz. She was such a wonderful baby! Everyone just wanted to touch their cheeks! People never talked about them being fat, people just wanted to snuggle them, because rather than looking teeny and delicate, they looked snuggly and cuddly!

Also, I think what makes a newborn look like a newborn is their expressions and faces, not their size. There were older babies who were smaller than my girls at the doctor's sometimes, but you could always tell who was a newbie just by their look and their sounds.
I read Tarot! Click here to get a reading!
alwaysfallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
alwaysfallingup
Registered Users
seller

My first DD was 9 lbs even. DD2 weighed 9 lbs 12 oz. She was such a wonderful baby! Everyone just wanted to touch their cheeks! People never talked about them being fat, people just wanted to snuggle them, because rather than looking teeny and delicate, they looked snuggly and cuddly!

Also, I think what makes a newborn look like a newborn is their expressions and faces, not their size. There were older babies who were smaller than my girls at the doctor's sometimes, but you could always tell who was a newbie just by their look and their sounds.
I read Tarot! Click here to get a reading!
alwaysfallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh goodness what wonderful news to have such a thriving child my first was 10 lbs healthy natural vaginal birth wasn't even so long a labor. Early on since I knew when I got pregnant and since they kept bumping up my due date based on size I knew I have a big one. No newborn clothing didn't fit but I managed a bunch of the onesies with onesies extenders and was thrilled with my healthy baby I didn't worry people have the size babies they are meant to have. I told my midwife that and she said it was good I felt that way. My child isnt a huge kid just was a big newborn. People never had any negative comments. I got lots of compliments and she's second cousin said I must have taken very good care of myself to have such a healthy child. Feel proud and content in what will be will be and you're doing a good job. And however your child comes out as long as everyone's healthy that's what matters. My midwife told me the stories of her 2 traumatic births when I said no c sections she said she had 2 emergency deliveries and it was what it was and when I was holding my child I would look back and remember my birth and just think of that moment. Big babies are beautiful is a saying around here. But staying calm does matter. And I love your focus on natural birth that's a fantastic goal. I used to joke with another midwife I'd come in and squeeze out my ten pound baby and shed say if it got to that point c section might be a thing. But I told her whatever would be would be but I couldn't imagine I'd get such a big kid in there and not be able to get lo out. It does happen but I wasn't going to worry about it. Hang in there breathe deep and just focus on getting your beautiful child out
Mrs.Os is offline   Reply With Quote