Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms who had big babies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
Also, my 10lb 7oz babies were absolutely cuddly and precious, and even the most judgmental people I know said nothing bad about them.

A bonus, at least in our case, was they had amazing head control from birth. Could be because they didn't really have necks... ;-)
This^^ Both of mine could hold their heads up the moment they were born and were looking around. It made them feel less breakable than I imagine a 7-8lb baby would feel

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #22
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My last dd was 10-5. We knew she would be big but not that big. My OB was very cool and didnt try to talk me into induction because of it. She was also posterior andI delivered her with no issues besides pushing about an hour and a half. Longer than any of my others. I did not have GD either. She was estimated at 8.5 pounds at my 36 week ultrasound and born at 40-1 weeks. So that u/ s was pretty accurate for her if she gained the average half pound a week from then until delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by 7 for now; 09-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ultrasounds are normally wrong. Many times when they say the baby is going to be big, they are actually average sized.

Many women birth 10+ babies vaginally, many even have homebirths with no tears or anything different then birthing a smaller baby.

Big babies are just like smaller babies. They want to be snuggled in their moms arms, kissed, etc. They also wear the same clothing (except the ones that say up to 7 lbs which I find hardly any babies wear except preemies).
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

I am 5'7" and 125 lbs. I gained 25 lbs with each of my pregnancies and had 2 8+ lbs babies and my last was 9.4 lbs. No GD. My biggest baby is the mellowist one. Women are built to deliver babies and I'm sure you will do fine even if your baby is 11 lbs. Good luck and don't listen to anyone who says negative things about big babies. I love big, fat, squishy babies!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #25
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

If you are worried about delivering your baby vaginally I highly recommend reading Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Natural Childbirth.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #26
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammy View Post
This^^ Both of mine could hold their heads up the moment they were born and were looking around. It made them feel less breakable than I imagine a 7-8lb baby would feel
Both my kids were able to do that at 7 and 8 lbs. I'm not sure if that has to do with size of the baby, I would think more so on bone maturity/structure.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

My DS1 was 10lbs14oz and I had a very easy homebirth. In fact, my labor with him was shorter and less painful than that of my 34 weeker (5lb13oz). I pushed him out in 3 pushes and only had 1 small tear because he had his hand up by his head. So birthing big babies can be done! Barring GD, your body will not make a baby that is too big for it to birth. Remember that and try to feel confident in your body's ability to do its thing!

My DS1 was an anomaly for me. All of my other full term kiddos have been 7.5-9lbs. I have no idea how or why he was that large (he was born 40w2d) because I did not have GD. We even did a second GD test at 37 weeks to rule it out since he was measuring so big.

Also, people love big babies. In my experience, people don't see babies as "overweight" and lots of people love chunky babies. I never got a negative remark about it.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 09-06-2012 at 06:14 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All my babies were big but my last was 10 lbs 14 oz and i had him just fine at home no less. This after having a c-s with my first because "my pelvis was too small for such a big baby"- my 1st was 8 lbs 6 oz :eyeroll:

U/s weights are a joke. And NO one has ever been negative about my adorable chunky monkey. Even if they were I'd care less- he's my squishy bug
Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As a heads up at 38 weeks my doc said DS was going to be 9-10 lbs and i freaked! He was born at 39 weeks at 7lbs 11oz so you never know! I also ate a ton and didn't diet or anything and i'm a fairly big gal on top of that. Good luck mama! A friend of mine's daughter was 12lbs and she is pretty short too!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #30
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Both my kids were able to do that at 7 and 8 lbs. I'm not sure if that has to do with size of the baby, I would think more so on bone maturity/structure.
Both of mine were born after 41 weeks so maybe it meant their bone structure was more mature than a baby born earlier-say at 38 weeks. I honestly don't know but I think it would be neat to find out the answer. And I am now off to google to see if someone has done a study on this