Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #71
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Moms who had big babies?

I had a 9.8, 10.3, then 12.2 lbers.

No GD. Yes, I got jaw dropping comments on size; but when they are boys; it didn't faze me as much. When I got pregnant with my daughter I did get emotional about her maybe being bigger than 12.2 or over 11+. I have weight issues and I didn't want anyone commenting on how huge she was. haha. She turned out to be 8.8 so I was pleased. I know it shouldn't matter, but it did to me. sigh..

Big hugs. About the birth... just read up on the risks of shoulder dystocia and how to minimize those risks and be aware.

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #72
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Congratulations on your healthy baby!

Ds was 10 lb 6 when we delivered at 42 weeks and I really related to what you said about feeling like you did everything right but somehow feel like something went wrong. We attempted vaginal delivery and had an emergency c section. I understand the struggle of making that decision.

Ds was big but healthy (and completely not fat everyone said they thought he would be chubby at that weight) and while I felt a little twinge of embarrassment for both of us when people asked his birth weight I've gotten over it now at 5 1/2 mo pp. Ds is healthy and actually weighs less at this point than those 6 and 7 lbers, so who knows where your baby will be in a few months.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #73
Shaunam
Registered Users

Congrats! I'm glad you were given as much information as possible and feel comfortable with your decision. That's how birth is *supposed* to be, whether you end up going all natural or having a c-section.

I had a big baby...10 lbs 9 oz and she suffered a severe brain injury. We don't know if her size contributed to it, but I know it's a possibility. If I have more children, we will be keeping tabs on their weight and probably doing a c-section if we expect them to be over 10 lbs. I know lots of people think the worst can't happen, but it can. So never feel bad for making the decision you made and anyone who flames you can go suck it.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #74
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Keep in mind that induction actually is a risk factor for shoulder dystocia. Baby's position n the pelvis is much more important than size, so try your best to stay mobile, and give yourself time, even if it seems that labor has "stalled". I recently had a friend who had a 9 pound baby and she was stalled at 9.5 cm for 8 hours and repeatedly threatened with a csection but birthed him vaginally.
Also a local woman here had a 13 pound baby vaginally! I don't think that's normal our ideal but it was possible!
I am glad your friend's baby was okay. Really that is a red flag something is wrong though when you stall so late in the 2nd stage. I was in transition 13 hours (8 to complete), but wasn't so lucky to have a healthy baby (and I moved around the house in the best positions throughout my whole labor even).
Yes, induction is being shown to increase your risks of shoulder dystocias so beware. Keep up and moving in good positions for birthing and make sure to talk with your provider, prior to labor, about red flags for shoulder dystocia and how many they are comfortable seeing before they would do a c-section. Some women have quite a few and some women don't.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #75
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
Congrats! I'm glad you were given as much information as possible and feel comfortable with your decision. That's how birth is *supposed* to be, whether you end up going all natural or having a c-section.

I had a big baby...10 lbs 9 oz and she suffered a severe brain injury. We don't know if her size contributed to it, but I know it's a possibility. If I have more children, we will be keeping tabs on their weight and probably doing a c-section if we expect them to be over 10 lbs. I know lots of people think the worst can't happen, but it can. So never feel bad for making the decision you made and anyone who flames you can go suck it.
You are amazing ShaunaM!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #76
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil
Just wanted to update all you sweet ladies who offered advice. After being dilated for weeks, my OBGYN was concerned that the baby was not able to fit through my pelvic bones. She sent me to get further measuring through ultrasound. They estimated him to be between 11 and 12 lbs. I was crushed, because I knew that meant I would most likely need a c-section. I talked with my OBGYN at lengths about the possible effects of me delivering vaginally would have on the baby, my husband and I decided it was just not worth possibly hurting the baby or having to have an emergency c-section. (no flames please). Anyway I delivered a healthy 9 lb 14 oz baby and despite receiving a ton of comments about how big he is and how he looks like a 3 month old, I think he's just perfect!
Congrats, Mama! You did a great job making an informed and well thought-out decision... but it's just mean to not share pics.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #77
ColbyCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: naperica
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love roasting big butterballs. First one was 10.4 and the other 9.12 with no GD. If your child and you are healthy then that is all anyone should focus on.

Best of luck!