Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: hoping to have a natural birth...what materials should I look into?

I had a lot of problems relaxing last time and I really need help, so I hired a doula. Highly recommend.

The books mentioned and Hypnobabies are all good ones as well. You can download 2 free samples of hypnobabies on their website to see if it's something you could get into. That'll save you a little money if it's not your thing.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. Husband Coached Childbirth (book)

2. Bradley method course (usually 12 weeks)

3. hire a doula

These are things that helped me. I had 2 births with epidurals just like you and then went on to have 2 natural births. You can totally do it, but it is so so helpful to prepare good luck!

Last edited by steph410; 12-11-2012 at 07:32 AM.
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I very strongly recommend taking a long class if you can find one. My hubby and I took a 2 hour once a week class for 9 weeks. I know, I know, we're first time parents. But it really got me feeling comfortable talking about pain and pain management, and it taught us both tons of coping techniques. You could also do a hypno-babies course, then a bradley course, etc., and then you and your SO will probably just start doing whatever comes naturally in the moment.

I know all this stuff is in books, but having a childbirth educator walk us through everything was a great experience. On that note I also really recommend a doula, because she will have tricks up her sleeve that you and your SO might be too tired or stressed to consider in the moment.

Last edited by Palooka; 12-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

THIS
helped me SOOO much relax and trust my body. There is nothing you can really read that will work for sure when the time comes, but if you TRUST yourself and have a good support system, and listen to your body, then you'll be able to manage yourself without loosing total control.
I thought I had lost total control because I wanted the epidural SOOOOO bad but was told I needed a bag full of saline before they could do it, but by the time the saline was actually connected to me, I was pushing. I think that knowing I was gonna get an epidural relaxed me enough to get to the pushing face. That labor was beyond intense!
I loved having my natural births over my epidural births.
I guess I sorta felt like I "did" it instead of it "happening" to me!

Anyways, good luck!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just did a yoga birthing workshop with DH and he was more ready/better informed with a few tricks and techniques.

A yoga ball, chair, shower, and DH = faster, natural delivery of DS.

But if he hadn't come early, I would have had a doula in training from a local nursing school.
I'd suggest a doula.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
MegERjd
Registered Users
seller

Read about the fear tension pain cycle. And have a coached relaxation exercise on an iPod or something. Those 2 things helped me.
MegERjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is there a place to find coached relaxation
Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Get a doula.

Read Active Birth. Really great book.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller

I don't think I have enough time left to take a class. Also DH has crazy work hours that wouldn't allow it. I have hypnobabies on the way. I plan to get to the library sometime this week to pick up a few books. I am not sure that water birth is an option (I was never offered before/but never asked). I need to start drinking my RLT, and getting prepared. I'm running out of time!!
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have read Ina May's book before birth a few times now. She's a real hippie. Some of the stuff in there I find a little over the top. BUT, she's really good at identifying the mind-body connection in labour, and how having your head "right" will help your labour go right. Very helpful and encouraging.
Also, look into alternative techniques for coping. Coached relaxation could work well for you, but have some other options available, so if you find you don't like it when you're actually in labour, you've got something else to try. Water is WONDERFUL, IMO, but you can also have heat packs, massage rollers, music, etc. Google should give you lots of options.
And, have your partner remind you that you CAN do it, you were made for this, and it's not going to last forever!
All the best!