Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I keep thinking about your gumbo and my mouth is watering lol.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just made a vat of gumbo

Ooh I would like the recipe, too! Sounds yummy.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
NCMommy119
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Making me hungry for gumbo!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok so here's my recipe since so many people seemed interested.
It's kinda long but it's really simple.
I use bl/sl chicken breast but you can use whatever cut you like, my mom uses a whole chicken.
Put the chicken in a big pot of water (or broth) add onion, celery, bell pepper, s & p and let It cook until chicken is done.
While its cooking I chop up the sausage into quarters (or half moons, your preference) and set it aside.
When the chicken is done, take it out and let it cool for a bit. I pour the broth mixture through a strainer to get out all the veggies but you can leave them. I add more fresh veggies to the broth, put the sausage in and let that simmer. When the chicken is cool enough to handle you can de-bone and shred it then add it to the pot.
I add a big can of diced or whole tomatoes (whichever I have on hand) and a few bay leaves and let the whole thing simmer for a few hours.
Make a roux with oil and flour, put it over medium heat and let it cook until the roux has an almost reddish tint-the longer it cooks the better the flavor. Watch it CAREFULLY because it will go from done to scalded in a few seconds. If you aren't skilled in roux making then just cook it until its golden. You add the roux and let it simmer for a few minutes but be sure to stir very well once you add it.
My dad always added the gumbo file' to the pot, I sometimes add it in the roux or if I forget then add it to the pot. Gumbo file' can be found usually where the Cajun seasoning is in the grocery store. I don't know if you need it but I've never had it without it so I don't know what the flavor would be like. If you were using shrimp (yuck!) I would think that would be added about 20 minutes or so before you want to serve it since it cooks so quickly.
Im not very good with measurements, I always just throw stuff together. Maybe that's why I can't bake? I use a little more chicken than sausage and I ALWAYS make a ton of it to freeze. I use about 4-4.5 lbs of chicken to 3-4lbs if sausage for my family of 7 (6 eating) and its enough for two dinners and lunches for several days.
If you want to freeze it then I would put it in the fridge overnight and put it in the ziplock the next day. And if you are cooking it from frozen I let it thaw on the counter for a couple of hours until its barely not frozen around the edges and add a bit of water to the pot when I reheat it.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yummy! Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Oh, this makes me hungry for gumbo I'm from Louisiana and we always do a turkey and sausage gumbo after Thanksgiving. And our Christmas Eve tradition is Seafood gumbo. Loooove me some gumbo!
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've developed a tradition of the day before thanksgiving and Christmas eve to have gumbo.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What? No okra? Lol
It's cold enough today for a gumbo. Usually hot this time of year here in Louisiana, but it seems to want to stay rainy and cool. Crazy weather.
nana2peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana2peach
What? No okra? Lol
It's cold enough today for a gumbo. Usually hot this time of year here in Louisiana, but it seems to want to stay rainy and cool. Crazy weather.
Ewwww! No okra!! It way too slimy for me. But I do LOVE me some fried okra!