Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
suttonsc
Registered Users

Mom living w/us permanently

My mom is living with us permanently and payed for our home to be remodeled. She has developed a pretty unhealthy Co dependent relationship with one of my 4 childre, who is only 3 yrs old. I feel like it's a constant tension between her and I. She focus so much on him the other kids notice and family friends & neighbors ask about her having a favorite. Any suggestions about how to address this? Anyone living with a parent and dealt with a similar concern?

Advertisement

suttonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:
Re: Mom living w/us permanently

sounds strange. DH, the kids and i live with my folks now so i KNOW about tension. my parents have a rocky relationship and there's lots of yelling, scolding, and passive-aggressive behavior, it can be quite unhealthy. if that was my situation, instead of confronting it head-on, i would say to mom "i'd really like you to spend more time with the other kids" or "could you spend some one-on-one time with ____, i think he/she feels left out sometimes" or something to that effect. or maybe outright ask that she doesn't focus on the "favorite" kid so much.

Catherine Grace (6)
John Gabriel (4)
Laura Josephine (1)
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
JennyAnneC
Registered Users

I'm in a similar situation. We live next door to my MIL and she favors my middle LO that just turned 2. Since it is MIL I leave the talking to DH. She is mildly aware and will sometimes make a point to give the older one more time. I'll definitely will be waiting for more responses.
JennyAnneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mom living w/us permanently

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama View Post
sounds strange. DH, the kids and i live with my folks now so i KNOW about tension. my parents have a rocky relationship and there's lots of yelling, scolding, and passive-aggressive behavior, it can be quite unhealthy. if that was my situation, instead of confronting it head-on, i would say to mom "i'd really like you to spend more time with the other kids" or "could you spend some one-on-one time with ____, i think he/she feels left out sometimes" or something to that effect. or maybe outright ask that she doesn't focus on the "favorite" kid so much.
I agree with this