Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Afraid of BLW

I agree with those who said to use large pieces. We started out with fairly big (for her) pieces of meat because she could gum it for a long time, suck the juices out (it wasn't as messy as mushy food), and get the hang of putting food in her mouth with no fear (for us) of choking. We didn't really give small pieces until she was good at gumming off bits to swallow. We started at 6 months, and now, at 11 mo. DD eats anything we give her like a pro. She never choked on food (though one time a penny found it's way into her mouth and she did start to) and only gagged once or twice--quickly "correcting" how much she was trying to swallow herself.

Advertisement

Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #22
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I still dont tthink blw'ing is for everyone. Sorry, i just dont. We tried large pieces of soft food (like super mushy banana) and she will break off a large piece. It scares me. I KNOW she probably isnt going to choke and i have taken cpr many times so im aware that silence is what to worry about. Still. It makes me anxious. Its not for us. I do think people should get their hands on some blw'ing books and see if it is for them bc i believe wholeheartedly that it works great for lots of people. I have close friends who LOVE it. Not my thing totally ok by me.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nothing is right for every family.

Your job is to figure out what is right for you and not worry about what other people do.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Nothing is right for every family.

Your job is to figure out what is right for you and not worry about what other people do.
Amen, but nice to know im not the only weirdo who found blw to be a nail biting, anxiety inducing experience :lol:

Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #25
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Certainly, nothing is right for everyone. Hopefully you found something that is right for you and your family.

I just wanted to mention a comment (for other readers, not you particularly) that I personally wouldn't start with something as mushy as a banana. I'd start with big pieces of something that won't be "sticky" if they break off. For us, that meant meat was a good first. We pretty quickly moved to zucchini/squash sticks and apples, but held off on bananas until DD was able to figure out what was a good size to break off and swallow.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DaneMama
Certainly, nothing is right for everyone. Hopefully you found something that is right for you and your family.

I just wanted to mention a comment (for other readers, not you particularly) that I personally wouldn't start with something as mushy as a banana. I'd start with big pieces of something that won't be "sticky" if they break off. For us, that meant meat was a good first. We pretty quickly moved to zucchini/squash sticks and apples, but held off on bananas until DD was able to figure out what was a good size to break off and swallow.
We tried roasted carrot sticks as well. eta: we are prettyy content with the baby food so dont feel compelled to "find" something else. I will try more "solids" as she gets bigger. She did get two teeth

Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
DragonnMama
Registered Users
seller

My little one and I tried BLW (bananas, really soft pears, etc) and TWICE she turned red and we had to remove her from her high chair. It was beyond gagging but not full-on choking. Just too scary for me.

So, we hybridized...

Purees that she can spoon feed herself (SO MESSY! :P), oatmeal, smushy peas. It works well, she gets to explore and I don't have to watch her turn red in the face again...
DragonnMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #28
DragonnMama
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and PS. make it interesting with spices! We do butternut squash with cinnamon and nutmeg, and it tastes like pumpkin pie! Just in time for fall.
DragonnMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonnMama
My little one and I tried BLW (bananas, really soft pears, etc) and TWICE she turned red and we had to remove her from her high chair. It was beyond gagging but not full-on choking. Just too scary for me.

So, we hybridized...

Purees that she can spoon feed herself (SO MESSY! :P), oatmeal, smushy peas. It works well, she gets to explore and I don't have to watch her turn red in the face again...
This is an interesting idea,..thanks for sharing, i may try this. I let dd have fulllly cooked, soft asparagus and zuchini last night. It went ..better.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #30
megenic
Registered Users
seller

If it makes you feel Better I was alone the whole time I was introducing solids to DD2 becuse hubby was on a course. I did BLW with both girls and they did great. You just have to try not to worry much about the baby actually eating food because at this point it's all about learning about food Nd not nutrition. I never spoon fed a baby anything! I am far too lazy for that. I finely cut up lots of different foods and gave them a bowl and spoon with chunky yogurt and cottage cheese and let them go town. Barely any food actually got into them but by 8 months they were eating nearly everything we ate. Like I said I am too lazy to do special baby food and now I have great eaters who like curry and sushi and sauerkraut :-)