Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #191
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you ever feel judged regarding not circumcising?

I was observing the hospital childbirth education class (I should have kept my mouth shut, I know...) and since the "educator" said NOTHING about possible side effects from circing, and no one asked, I asked her if any baby had ever died from the procedure. Maybe not the best way to go about it, but that's what I asked. Truthfully she should have either said that there was a risk of bleeding or something like that, but she didn't. Instead she side-stepped the question then later asked me not to come back. In my area the circ rate is still around 70% because no one wants to talk about any possible complications. Because, after all, "you might upset the parents". (her words). I pointed out that they might be more upset when they learned too late that they didn't get all of the information necessary to make an truly informed decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
Wow I can't believe they show a video! If you can't watch it being done thats a clue that you might not want to make your baby actually go through the procedure. I love the ideals of the pnw.

Fwiw I agree there is a tin of bashing of the medical community here. Probably most of it is waranted. However, whenever I read those posts I always have in the back of my mind that there are some seriously awesome doctors and nurses out there. Its like any other profession. DS has a lot to say about the medical community and I think I would have a hard time participating if I was reading broad (and not good!) generalizations about my profession. So while a lot may be true it sucks for you so...i guess I'm sorry about that. Lol not sure where I am going with that other than I wanted to acknowledge that I dont think you are evil because you are a nurse!

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #192
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane

None of the 4 times I was pregnant did any of the dr.'s or nurses EVER let me know that you didn't have to circ or give us the option. In fact at the birth classes we had to take with dd1 they never mentioned anything about non circ'ing or even what circ'ing is. In fact they sent around the consent forms and had all of us sign them even if we knew we were having a girl "just in case" it was a boy. Then it could be just taken care of and they wouldn't have to worry about the paperwork.
This is how it is done in our area. My OB asked me at some point close to delivery if we were circ'ing, more as a "just to make sure" type of question, and he was seriously taken aback when I said NO!
I also had to refuse the paperwork SEVERAL times at the hospital because of doctors/nurses who wanted me to sign "just in case". Just in case what? I change my mind? Apparently it's impossible to do paperwork THEN.
There were a lot of things surrounding my birth and DS's first few weeks of care that I believe we would have truly suffered from had I not been as adamant/demanding as I was (refusing cs after 12 hours of labor, refusing circ, demanding an LC who could figure out what was wrong with DS's latch - severe tongue tie, etc, etc). It's unfortunate, but I feel like a lot of medical professionals around here have to be strong armed into providing excellent care. Of course there are a few exceptions, but it seems like most are afraid of wavering from what's easiest (for THEM) or what's closest to the status quo.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #193
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my first intact son at a birth center, they were all like "oh good!" when I said no circing. At my followup, the midwife that saw us highly praised me for not circing him.

When I had my 2nd intact son at a hospital, the dr & hospital were really trying to upsell me to get that circ done on him. I had to say no like 5 times.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #194
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I've never actually discussed circumcision with anyone in real life. It just never comes up; none of my acquaintances talk about babies' penises. When DS was born, not a single health care professional (or anyone) asked if we wanted to circumcise or commented on us not circumcising DS There seems to be a huge regional difference in that, but here, you have to specifically request a circumcision, and it isn't done right after birth, but a little down the line by a pediatric urologist.

In short, no - I've never felt judged.

ETA: The Canadian stance since the 1980s has been that the benefits do not outway the risks, so routine circing isn't recommended. http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/circumcision It's pretty much a non-issue here.

Last edited by Layney82; 10-15-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #195
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82
I've never actually discussed circumcision with anyone in real life. It just never comes up; none of my acquaintances talk about babies' penises. When DS was born, not a single health care professional (or anyone) asked if we wanted to circumcise or commented on us not circumcising DS There seems to be a huge regional difference in that, but here, you have to specifically request a circumcision, and it isn't done right after birth, but a little down the line by a pediatric urologist.

In short, no - I've never felt judged.

ETA: The Canadian stance since the 1980s has been that the benefits do not outway the risks, so routine circing isn't recommended. http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/circumcision It's pretty much a non-issue here.
Thanks for sharing that link.
Its to bad the US cant take a *hint* from more progessive countries :/

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #196
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't really feel judged. I don't know anyone IRL who isn't circ'd or who didn't circ their babies. But it doesn't really come up in conversation. My family knows and they just roll their eyes, like, "Here goes Stephanie, being all hippie again." CD'ing, BW'ing, non-circ'ing. Pretty radical stuff for my family. LOL

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #197
beccatown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definitely think there are hard-core, judgement filled, hateful mamas on both sides. It's hard enough being a mommy, it's too bad that we can't all be as supportive as possible of each other. Most moms make the best decision they can based on their situation, culture, unforeseen circumstances, knowledge (or lack there of) etc. I don't think moms should have to defend every choice they make and really it isn't anyone's business anyway.

Lane Louise Grace born 04/05/2011
beccatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #198
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We were definitely judged when we said we weren't circumcising baby #2 (team green turned out to be a girl) but we knew we were right by our child and choosing the right thing so we stood our ground and were confident. We just laughed at the people tossing judgements at us because they were so ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #199
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Oh and as far as our experience with doctors and nurses...we live in a high circ area and when we mentioned not circing if baby came out a boy the nurses rolled their eyes at us :/

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #200
mcpfeil
Registered Users

Hi, I'm new but saw this topic and thought to respond. We did not Cirq both of our sons and do not regret our decision. More and more, parents are making the choice to keep their boys uncut, so our sons are not completely alone in their physiology. Also, the chance of the procedure being botched and/or scar tissue causing deformity and pain is just not a risk we were willing to take with our sweet boys.
mcpfeil is offline   Reply With Quote