Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #111
KLC0426
Registered Users

Awesome thread! I have quite a few things I need to sell but have been putting it off because I'm clueless when it comes to shipping :/

Advertisement

KLC0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #112
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Regional boxes are so much cheaper!!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #113
chewie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PSA: Please... Ship Smart. Save money, time, frustration!

Thank you Thank you!! I am right now trying to sort this part of the process out. You are the best!!
chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #114
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
But there are quite a few cases where shipping two separate parcels saves you a LOT.

Here's an example:

I'm shipping two pillows, cross country (California to New York). Each weighs 9 ounces.

The best option is to squeeze them into a padded FRE. That will cost you $5.10 including DC, through paypal. And it ships priority so it's fast.

But say you cannot fit them into a PFRE.

Then you should send each one separately, first-class. Your total cost will be only $5.30 (because a 9-oz parcel ships for $2.65) through paypal. Free DC.

If you sent them TOGETHER in one parcel (which will weigh over a pound), your cost would be $9.02 parcel post (which is DOG slow), or $9.62 priority. And these prices assume you are shipping through paypal. It's even more at the PO.

Voila. I saved a bundle by shipping two separate first-class parcels!
THIS is so good to know, I always assumed that the more you packed the cheaper it was.

I never thought to check that mailing separately could actually be cheaper depending on the weight and what it is.
So good to know.

Thanks for posting all of this.

I also have saved almost all my polymailers from all the baby/diaper stuff I ordered for my dd, because I knew eventually I would want to try and sell her stuff off .
I havent sold anything in years though and Ive been nervous to do it, because of that.

I have diapers just sitting here that we dont use because Ive been nervous about the entire process.

HOW do you mail from home, like once it's all packed how do you get the postperson to pick it up?
I live in a house and our mailbox is on another street, it's part of a community mailbox, where a whole bunch of them are together, so I rarely see my postperson and the slot to send stuff is just for regular envelopes.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #115
expaik
Registered Users
seller

If you live in a house you just leave it outside your front door, or in your mailbox if it can fit, and s/he will pick up. I have installed a bag right under my mailbox to hold my outgoing packages so my carrier doesn't have to bend down for them.

In your case though, I'm not sure. Ask your complex manager if there's an outside mail slot or box where you can stick your package. Some places let you leave them at the manager's office. Although I might be wary of leaving valuable packages where they could be misplaced/lost/stolen - just dropping it off at the nearest PO might be best, or in any US mailbox as long as it has a shipping label affixed and not stamps.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #116
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post
If you live in a house you just leave it outside your front door, or in your mailbox if it can fit, and s/he will pick up. I have installed a bag right under my mailbox to hold my outgoing packages so my carrier doesn't have to bend down for them.

In your case though, I'm not sure. Ask your complex manager if there's an outside mail slot or box where you can stick your package. Some places let you leave them at the manager's office. Although I might be wary of leaving valuable packages where they could be misplaced/lost/stolen - just dropping it off at the nearest PO might be best, or in any US mailbox as long as it has a shipping label affixed and not stamps.
That's the thing we DO live in a house, however more subdivsions are using combined mail boxes as oppose to individual mailboxes at everyone's homes.
No apt manager available lol.

We just have a tiny box and then a larger box for when they drop off a package for us and they leave a key.
I guess I have to contact the PO and ask them =/
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #117
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton

That's the thing we DO live in a house, however more subdivsions are using combined mail boxes as oppose to individual mailboxes at everyone's homes.
No apt manager available lol.

We just have a tiny box and then a larger box for when they drop off a package for us and they leave a key.
I guess I have to contact the PO and ask them =/
You leave it at your door. It's very easy. I live in a house. Have community mailboxes. I set up a pick up online. In the notes I state that the package is at my front door. Easy day!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #118
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
You leave it at your door. It's very easy. I live in a house. Have community mailboxes. I set up a pick up online. In the notes I state that the package is at my front door. Easy day!
Oh thanks, Ill look at the website and see what I can find.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #119
quintontn
Registered Users

great information!!! thank you!
quintontn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #120
expaik
Registered Users
seller

bump for update: USPS Click-n-ship now lets you print international labels at home, for cheaper than PO rates!
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote