Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Disrespectful or not: Using "mom" and "dad"

I feel like Mom and Dad really are terms of respect as well as terms of endearment. So, just under the concept of a term of endearment, I don't think it's a big deal. But, I just gave birth 6 days ago, I make dinner for my family every night, I kiss imaginary boo boos, etc. I do a lot of work as mom and I do feel that my kids should recognize that by calling me mom. So I do require that they use Mom, and not my dame.

Having said that, I don't make a HUGE deal out of it or anything. My 4 yr old has called me Kim, (or twice, Babe, after DH did the same lol) and I just tell her that she is to call me mom, and that was it. It's not something I would issue some huge consequence for or anything like that.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

My oldest has called us by our first names on and off for a long time. I personally think it is cute as heck and could care less what he calls me. He is a great little boy and big brother, healthy smart and kind. I figure if that is the one thing he wants to "get away with" then so be it. The only issue we ever have is when other adults try and inform him that he needs to call us mom/dad. People just can't mind there own business
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #23
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My almost 3 yr old DD discovered we have names and not just mom/dad. She likes to call us by our names a lot now. I always say "yes, that's my name, but I'm also your mom/mommy, just like you are Elli and also my daughter". We are learning family members as I'm due with baby #2 very soon
This is exactly what DD did and how we answered her.

Now that she's 4 she calls me by my name to get a reaction out of me. If I show no reaction she soon stops.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I really think it's just a phase for most kids.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
We don't answer our kids if they call us by our real names. We think it is disrespectful. After a few times of that they get the message and don't do it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This . All adults are called by their proper "titles" . Like my best friend is called Mrs, Sabrina not just Sabrina.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #25
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack

This . All adults are called by their proper "titles" . Like my best friend is called Mrs, Sabrina not just Sabrina.
My kids also address all adults by Mrs. So and so and Mr. So and so. They also say yes and no sir and yes and no mam to all adults including me and dh. It shows respect and good manners. I cannot count the times we have been complimented on their use of those words.

7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #26
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ds sometimes calls me Diana, and I don't really mind it much. He thinks it funny. It's my name, after all, so no big deal. The grandparents aren't happy about him using their names occasionally, and always correct him.
This week, he has decided to start calling me "your majesty", though, and it bugs the heck out of me! I have been doing well with just laughing it off, but I don't want to encourage him by giving him a real response. I'm sure it's just a phase.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This thread has me thinking and I always thought I would insist ont he Mr./Mrs. title but it's making less and less sense to me. If it was someone I would personally refer to as Mr./Mrs. than yes I would expect my kids to but I don't think I'll ever require my children to use those titles with someone I don't use them with. I'm just not sure how it's impolite? I really don't care what they call me either as long as its a polite tone/ not an insult. I call my DS bug, stinky, oyster, poopmonkey, etc..Why can't he come up with nicknames for me if he wants? I will always be very adamant about please and thank you. There were so many times when I was working in restaurants where the kids would all say thank you and the parents would stay silent. That annoyed me so much. I always want to set that example for them that the rules don't change when you become an adult.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused

Last edited by waterisntsomething; 10-18-2012 at 09:39 PM.
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does it hurt you when your kids don't call you mom? I only ask because obviously we're not there yet with our daughter, but I can see it being an emotional issue for me rather than a respect thing - like I would experience it as a rejection even though that's obviously so far from what the child is deliberately intending.

Growing up, nicknames were a huge mark of affection in my family, and the ones we used for our parents were variations on Mum and Dad - ma, pa, mamma, pops etc. As adults, we still do. I don't think what we call each other necessarily indicates respect.

Maybe it's even a developmental way to sort of emotionally experiment with the relationship -- "if I call you ----, are you still my mom?"
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #29
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
My kids also address all adults by Mrs. So and so and Mr. So and so. They also say yes and no sir and yes and no ma'am to all adults including me and dh. It shows respect and good manners. I cannot count the times we have been complimented on their use of those words.

We a big on the Yes Sir / Yes Ma'am No/sir / No Ma'am as well. We also do not allow our children to ask "What?" . If they did not hear what we said they are to say "Ma'am?" or "Sir?" .

Last edited by AbbieJack; 10-19-2012 at 01:31 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #30
Mom2lucy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our 4 yo does this and has for a while. We totally don't care. She still calls us mom/dad but will throw in Brittany/Russ every once in a while. I answer. It's my name. I don't find it disrespectful. She's 4! But also I'm a tone person. Tone means a lot to me, more so than words, especially at her age. So if she had a nasty tone and called me brittany or mom I would not be ok with it. We also have a 12 yo but she would never ever call me Brittany. Just a different personality and developmental age.

OP- So even at your sons age, I wouldn't care so much as long as he was using a respectful tone. I think there are way more important things in life than this.

Mom2lucy is offline   Reply With Quote