Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #61
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My oldest called my husband Tim for a while when she was 2. We just corrected her and told her his name was daddy.

I wont allow my kids to call me by my first name as children. As adults I dont care. I call my parents by their names (habit was formed after habing a business relationship with them)

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #62
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Disrespectful or not: Using "mom" and "dad"

If you don't have a problem with it Terra then go with your gut. "Rules" are only rules if you make them your own, kwim? When my oldest was younger she called me by my name for quite a while after I started working in daycare again. She heard everyone else calling me Miss Tanya so she called me that too. I didn't mind. I had people tell me she was being disrespectful but she wasn't. She got over it eventually. I never had that issue with the other two because they always heard the older ones calling me mom.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #63
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
We are Mom & Dad to our children. We do NOT allow our children to call us by our first names. I hate that. It is very disrespectful IMO. My brother & sister call our dad by his first name & my one cousin called my uncle by his first name and I hated it growing up & I hate it now. I always tell them to knock it off, even when I was a kid. Maybe it is the tone they say it in but it is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I am normally a soft spoken non-confrontational person but my protectiveness of my dad just comes out. Kinda silly that a 5'1 woman would need to protect a 300+ lb biker but whatever. (I once beat the crud out of a kid with a metal hotwheels car for calling my dad a jerk, I was 5) Sorry, OT.

attempting a DS break ~
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #64
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Disrespectful or not: Using "mom" and "dad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
If you don't have a problem with it Terra then go with your gut. "Rules" are only rules if you make them your own, kwim? When my oldest was younger she called me by my name for quite a while after I started working in daycare again. She heard everyone else calling me Miss Tanya so she called me that too. I didn't mind. I had people tell me she was being disrespectful but she wasn't. She got over it eventually. I never had that issue with the other two because they always heard the older ones calling me mom.
So true Thank you! Yeah the last couple of days now, it's been fine, it doesn't bother me. If anything he's been more affectionate and endearing. He has never been disrespectful about it. And I'll take the outward little fellow because with his ASD sometimes he has a lot of inward time where he doesn't share!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #65
mkrisel
Registered Users

I think you have to do what works for your family. My mom's brothers called their parents by their first names (never used mon and dad-I have no idea why). Her dad was **** and when they were little they pronounced his name "****a." My mom is 12 years younger, and he thought ****a was cute, so that's what he named his little girl in 1952 when everyone else was Betty, Marilyn, Susan, etc. Needless to say, she's not real fond of her name . And she called her parents mom and dad. Go figure!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote