Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No, not at all normal. Some exams are state required like in mine they require an HIV test (2) which my own OB doesn't think is necessary with most of his patients. He gave me the option to opt-out of almost everything except the GD test and the 20 week scan to look over the anatomy. I opted-in and signed for each test. He even had me down for the quad and then decided I didn't need it based on my DS odds. They don't induce before 39 weeks at my hospital unless it's absolutely medically necessary. Actually, I think they have to send you to a different hospital. They do not do elective c-sections, either. They are very good about explaining each and every option.

I would look for another doctor ASAP and not waste time. Ask your questions on the first visit and make sure your OB listens to YOU. Unless he is the only doctor in town, you do hire your doctor, not the other way around.

Advertisement

mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Seems out of the norm to me. The moment he gave me an induction date, I would have been out the door or have atleast made up my mind not to see him again.

The blood work and pap are normal here. The lubricant thing is weird.

But I can deal with someone smirking when I say I want to try for an unmediated birth. I wouldn't be happy with a doctor who had THAT many contrary ideas.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: First time with an OB...Normal?

I am also a mainstream birther and no way would I go back there.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Find a new doctor!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, definitely go somewhere else. My doctor is more "patient-friendly" than this one is, but I'm still considering changing.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another vote for run away

Sent from my droid
Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unfortunately, some OBs are like that. Personally, he wouldn't be MY OB, that's for sure! I was w an office for DD4 and just one mtg w the OB was enough for me (I had been seeing the NP previously) so I switched at 24 wks back to the office I had w DD3, which was wonderful! I would've went to them in the first place if it wasn't for my ins. Anyways, wanna know what the OB said to me that made me leave? "If you don't do the glucose test your baby is going to die." You do NOT say that to a mama who has already had a baby die. I knew as soon as the words left her mouth I would not be back. So back to the other office I went and had a wonderful waterbirth! Yay!

I hope you can find a better OB!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

I totally agree with pps, that is NOT normal, he is not listening to you and your desires and that is not likely to change closer to birth. Finding a new dr. IS a pain, but worth it if you want your choices respected when you have your baby. To find someone more naturally minded, I'd suggest going on some natural parenting boards (this one or mothering.com) in the regional section and asking for OB suggestions or if you can find a natural parenting group in your area they would likely have great suggestions too. Another source for OB suggestions would be a local LLL group if you have one around you. I hope you find a great dr soon.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

yikes. times infinity. plus one.

What a crappy OB. Srsly.

I am a natural birther myself.

But I "get" the mainstream side of things. I have family in the medical field and I "get" it. I just don't choose it for myself b/c I really love natural births.

This guy doesn't sound like a typical "by the book" OB to me. He sounds like a crazed, militant, "my way or no way" kind of doctor. He is NOT someone you want in your corner. You don't even want him near your hospital room. Find another doctor, ASAP!

The things that concerned me the MOST from your post are: not allowing you to refuse the quad screen (why is this? That makes no sense to me AT ALL... does he just want the payout from insurance?!), scheduling your induction for 38 wks (IIRC, even the AAP doesn't recommend unnecessary inductions before 39 wks!), and the fact that he basically told you he's just gonna do whatever he wants when it comes to some of the decisions b/c "he just does them without having to explain".... Those are HUGE red flags. Like BLARING, sirens going off in my head, flashing lights saying "RUN! RUN AWAY!"

He has no respect for the fact that it is YOUR body, YOUR baby, YOUR birth, and YOUR choice. PERIOD.

Doctors (and medical professionals) are there to give you a professional opinion, to help you make educated health choices, and to keep you aware of dangers you might face or have, and to keep a cool, calm head in emergencies.... and to do all of that gracefully, tactfully, and all the while RESPECTING THEIR PATIENTS. They are NOT there to bulldoze over you, shove you around, guilt you into tests, dragging you by your nose through the medical system.

Please, please, please find another OB. One who will respect your wishes and your body. This one certainly does not.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

oh and re: birth plans...

from what I have heard and from my own experience, birth plans pretty much get ignored most of the time. Even the "well-written" ones. Once you are in the hospital, you are in their system, and you basically have a hard fight to do things differently from their "policies" They really don't give a rat's backside what your birth plan says. I assume there are *some* (like a handful, probably... somewhere...) hospital personnel who will read it and actually try to follow it. But for the most part, the general consensus is, "You're here, we know what's best, that's WHY you are here, now let us do our job." I've heard stories of medical people reading and scoffing/openly mocking birth plans.

Anyway, don't think a birth plan, no matter how detailed or well written will save you from a doctor with a serious God Complex.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote