Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WWYD re: rude kids

I took my kids to the pumpkin patch today. They have a jail that you can go in and shut the door (but no latch or lock). There were several kids inside and I took my DS in. When we were ready to get out a little boy around six or so was pushing the door shut. I politely told the kids around the door excuse us and everyone stepped aside except for that boy. He instead started pushing the door harder. I thought maybe he hadn't heard until I looked at his face and it was very obvious he was trying to keep us in on purpose. I looked around outside the jail and didn't see any parents that he belonged to. The other parents looked just as baffled as I was though. Since my son wanted out all I could think of to do (except for things that aren't acceptable) was to slowly but firmly push back until we could get the door open enough to squeeze out. I did of course get us out but the harder I pushed the harder he pushed and he was working REALLY hard to keep me from opening the door. I was pretty furious with the kid so I couldn't think clearly and was wondering if I handled it appropriately. Is there a better way I should do things in the future?

Advertisement

Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't know if there's a better way, but I would have pushed the door open as well and informed him that when people want out, he needs to let them out.

Above that, there's not much you can do.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Um.... I can't stand rude kids. I would have sternly told him to let go of the door and if he didn't I would have pushed it open and asked where his parents were and told them what he did. But I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior. You definitely handled it better than I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD re: rude kids

I would have been meaner...I'd have put on my mean Mom voice and said "You need to STOP pushing on this door RIGHT NOW. LET ME OUT." When I was out I would have said "Take me to the adult you came with." and then I'd have chewed mom/grandma/dad/uncle bill out really good for leaving their little Damien to run wild...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I'm a mom to a 6 year old boy. I spend a lot of time volunteering at his kindergarten. I have made a lot of realizations since I started being at the school often to help, and the first one is that my own kid isn't so rotten!

The second is like the mom above me said, you have to talk to them a certain way. Boys this age are a major handful, and they are testing every boundary known to man. You have to get stern with them to let them know whatever evil little thing they are doing at the moment is crossing the line.

This kid probably thought you were playing his game, whatever little cops and robbers and bad-guy-alien-exploder game he had going on in his head.

My DS is a great kid, and he is polite and helpful with strangers, but he still gets carried away sometimes and could come off as a rude kid with "no raising" in certain circumstances. I had to get onto him today for "roaring" at an elderly lady at the park.

I don't think you handled it badly, but I would have put on my mom voice and told the kid to move. It would have been easier on your back.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like he was just playing and not being rude.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Um.... I can't stand rude kids. I would have sternly told him to let go of the door and if he didn't I would have pushed it open and asked where his parents were and told them what he did. But I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior. You definitely handled it better than I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This ! Than I would have found whom ever he was with and had a talk with them.
I'm with you on the not being able to stand rude kids!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
Sounds like he was just playing and not being rude.
How is holding the door shut and not letting people out not rude? I don't care if he thought he was playing or not , its still rude!

Last edited by AbbieJack; 10-19-2012 at 04:15 AM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Angel89411
Banned

My very stern mom voice would have come out. If that didn't work then I would just push the door open.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I probably wouldn't have said anything and just pushed the door open. At 6 I really don't think he was being rude. And if he was, rude kids come from rude parents (I actually feel sorry for kids who do turn out rude because that is likely how they were raised).
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um, even my 4yo knows not block an entrance/exit when someone clearly wants to use it. And he doesn't play games with strange adults he doesn't know.

That said, I would have repeated to him personally that we were leaving and for him to open the door for us. Usually all it takes is for an adult to address a kid that age personally and seriously for them to comply. Maybe I have weird kids, but all 3 would have been shaken (even the 10yo) if an adult they didn't know had to get onto them.