Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: WWYD re: rude kids

Just say in a firm voice "Let go of the door and move out of the way".

Kids aren't that fragile. They can handle the teacher voice and still survive it. You don't need to be all soft and fluffy for kids if they need a firm voice.

He probably thought he was all tough, and you were challenging him by pushing on the door, and he was enjoying the challenge.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
Just say in a firm voice "Let go of the door and move out of the way".

Kids aren't that fragile. They can handle the teacher voice and still survive it. You don't need to be all soft and fluffy for kids if they need a firm voice.

He probably thought he was all tough, and you were challenging him by pushing on the door, and he was enjoying the challenge.
I agree 100% with this.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Um.... I can't stand rude kids. I would have sternly told him to let go of the door and if he didn't I would have pushed it open and asked where his parents were and told them what he did. But I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior. You definitely handled it better than I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
um yes. You handled it better than I would have. I realize it wasn't YOUR kid, so you're kind of limited with how you can respond.

My guttural reaction to that behavior in my own child would be to push the door open and let them get knocked over and then have a convo about how being RUDE is not acceptable and now we're leaving and you will go spend some time in your room when we get home.

It would be hard to not want to do that to some other parent's twerp, er, kid.

Ugh.

I (hopefully) would have done the same thing you did. Maybe I would have swooped up my kid and walked to the other end of the jail and let another parent or adult who was there deal with it.... even an older child. Sometimes if you just act like "who cares" and walk away, they get bored and leave.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I think he was playing and that's fine - until it's not and that is when the mommy voice comes out and gets told to stop it right now and let the people out.

If you keep using a nice voice then it's not clear that what is going on isn't ok.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy
I think he was playing and that's fine - until it's not and that is when the mommy voice comes out and gets told to stop it right now and let the people out.

If you keep using a nice voice then it's not clear that what is going on isn't ok.
This is my inclination. The kid thinks he's being funny. Needs to be corrected, but not maybe in a harsh way.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

This is my inclination. The kid thinks he's being funny. Needs to be corrected, but not maybe in a harsh way.
I'm thinking this too. Kinda surprised by how many people are so offended over this incident. While he needs to let people out, he is six, and my guess is he got carried away with game...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

He may not have heard you and since you didn't say anything else and just pushed the door, I could easily see him thinking it's a game. Next time, repeat yourself, making sure he hears you. Kids can be distracted and just not hear, even though you think they did.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

My "Mad Mommy" voice would have come out. I would have told him that it is rude to block the door and to step aside. If he did not do it I would have pushed the door open myself. I am not sure I would talk to his parents, if a child is misbehaving openly like that in public I can only imagine what people raised it! I taught kinder for a few years before changing to high school and then became a Professor, I can tell you first hand that a 6 year old KNOWS when they are pushing buttons!
My children are taught to respect adults and their authority. (Unless of course they are putting my child in danger or asking them to do something I have told them not to do ever.)
Old 10-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I teach so I would have turned it into a game or a teaching moment, possibly asking if he was the jail warden or something and seeing where it went from there maybe paying a fake bail or something. I feel that generally children will make the correct decisions they just want to be given a little attention and control.

If I couldn't work it into play with him I may have broken out my stern voice and very directly asked him to move his body away from the door.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't permit my kids to 'play games' with strangers. It's rude and it's annoying. If they want to goof off they have tons of family members to goof of with, perfect strangers aren't it... Same token I'm not a play person for some strange kid I don't know from the man on the moon...I don't play or goof off or 'teaching moment' the children of strangers. Not my place, not my job. I tell the little brat what's up and then inform his/her parents they need to keep a better eye on their kid because he's being rude and obnoxious.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote