Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD re: rude kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
My "Mad Mommy" voice would have come out. I would have told him that it is rude to block the door and to step aside. If he did not do it I would have pushed the door open myself. I am not sure I would talk to his parents, if a child is misbehaving openly like that in public I can only imagine what people raised it! I taught kinder for a few years before changing to high school and then became a Professor, I can tell you first hand that a 6 year old KNOWS when they are pushing buttons!
My children are taught to respect adults and their authority. (Unless of course they are putting my child in danger or asking them to do something I have told them not to do ever.)
Yikes!

Advertisement

MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

I would've used my mom voice as well.

I agree that he may have thought it was a game but then I completely agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I don't permit my kids to 'play games' with strangers. It's rude and it's annoying. If they want to goof off they have tons of family members to goof of with, perfect strangers aren't it... Same token I'm not a play person for some strange kid I don't know from the man on the moon...I don't play or goof off or 'teaching moment' the children of strangers. Not my place, not my job. I tell the little brat what's up and then inform his/her parents they need to keep a better eye on their kid because he's being rude and obnoxious.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I don't permit my kids to 'play games' with strangers. It's rude and it's annoying. If they want to goof off they have tons of family members to goof of with, perfect strangers aren't it... Same token I'm not a play person for some strange kid I don't know from the man on the moon...I don't play or goof off or 'teaching moment' the children of strangers. Not my place, not my job. I tell the little brat what's up and then inform his/her parents they need to keep a better eye on their kid because he's being rude and obnoxious.
What's rude and obnoxious is correcting other people's parenting in public. This happened the other day at the park and the dad who informed the mom to *be a better parent* was the one who ended up looking like a big jerk and bully.

Simply looking him in the eye and asking him again to move should suffice.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom
I teach so I would have turned it into a game or a teaching moment, possibly asking if he was the jail warden or something and seeing where it went from there maybe paying a fake bail or something. I feel that generally children will make the correct decisions they just want to be given a little attention and control.

If I couldn't work it into play with him I may have broken out my stern voice and very directly asked him to move his body away from the door.
I wasn't going to say anything but this has been on my mind. There is no way I would feed into his defiant play by playing along. That would be rewarding his bad behavior. OP stated she asked all the kids to let her out and they all understood and moved except this one. A six year old is more than able to comprehend when asked to move and let someone out. I would never make a game out of bad behavior.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #25
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum

What's rude and obnoxious is correcting other people's parenting in public.

Simply looking him in the eye and asking him again to move should suffice.
I think it is rude and obnoxious to allow your child to behave that way in public. You can bet that if a kid hurts or bullies my kid I will say something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
I wasn't going to say anything but this has been on my mind. There is no way I would feed into his defiant play by playing along. That would be rewarding his bad behavior. OP stated she asked all the kids to let her out and they all understood and moved except this one. A six year old is more than able to comprehend when asked to move and let someone out. I would never make a game out of bad behavior.
Not all 6 years old are the same. He could have not heard, could be hard of hearing, may not have understood because he is mentally behind his age, may have a disability, and so on. Not all kids respond the same way either. Being rude to a kid or talking in a mean mommy voice is not always the correct way to approach a child. Being more playful, respectful and nice may be a much better approach to some children.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I think it is rude and obnoxious to allow your child to behave that way in public. You can bet that if a kid hurts or bullies my kid I will say something about it.

Behave what way, like a 6 year old? Most 6 year olds are playful/friendly. This child wasn't bullying other children or hurting anyone. He was playing because that is what 6 year olds do. It sounds like the OP was at a kid friendly place to begin with, so it makes me think the child was playing like most would do at his age.

ETA: I also wanted to add that at that age kids are learning to read the cues of other people. This child may very well have thought OP was playing with him and it may be innocent. It's kind of gross to paint a 6 year old like some horrible person (is what the vibe I've been getting from a few posters). No one knows what truly went on or what the child's intentions were. But to be rude and disrespectful to the child is the wrong approach IMO. That doesn't teach anything, and actually would verify the child's "rude" behavior.

Last edited by JennTheMomma; 10-21-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma

Behave what way, like a 6 year old? Most 6 year olds are playful/friendly. This child wasn't bullying other children or hurting anyone. He was playing because that is what 6 year olds do. It sounds like the OP was at a kid friendly place to begin with, so it makes me think the child was playing like most would do at his age.

ETA: I also wanted to add that at that age kids are learning to read the cues of other people. This child may very well have thought OP was playing with him and it may be innocent. It's kind of gross to paint a 6 year old like some horrible person (is what the vibe I've been getting from a few posters). No one knows what truly went on or what the child's intentions were. But to be rude and disrespectful to the child is the wrong approach IMO. That doesn't teach anything, and actually would verify the child's "rude" behavior.
When a child is asked to move from blocking a doorway he should move. All other kids understood it. My 3 year old can follow those simple directions. My 6 year old and even my 3 year old know that kind of behavior is NOT playing. To ignore an adult that is asking to get out IS rude and disrespectful. He was not bullying other children, but he was asked to Move to let a mother and child out and did not. I would be mortified my child behaved like that and discipline would have been very quick. That is NOT playing that is disobedience.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #29
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
When a child is asked to move from blocking a doorway he should move. All other kids understood it. My 3 year old can follow those simple directions. My 6 year old and even my 3 year old know that kind of behavior is NOT playing. To ignore an adult that is asking to get out IS rude and disrespectful. He was not bullying other children, but he was asked to Move to let a mother and child out and did not. I would be mortified my child behaved like that and discipline would have been very quick. That is NOT playing that is disobedience.

Again, not all kids are the same, and I'm betting not all the kids in the little jail thingy were the same age. He could have been hard of hearing, may not even have heard, could be behind for his age, could have a disability....
Old 10-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now

I'm glad you have such compliant, well behaved children. I also agree with PP not all kids are the same. I think the way OP handled it seemed to work fine. I might have used the stern mommy voice (not mean, but the I'm serious it's time to listen voice) to make sure he understood. But that's about it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote